Starting reloading

Hi going to start reloading 12g game carts in the new year not as a money saving perspective just to while a few hours away, looking at the Lee load all 2 for £70ish quid anything else I should consider used or new? What cases can you recommend up to 2/34, also what powder, loads are going to be 30&32 fibre. Thanks

as panama1 said some good scales, also a means to close the cases, crimp, RTO,  the most easily available new cases would probably be cheddite, and ive used Vectan AS for the weight loads you looking for, theres lots of choice, best thing is find some loads you can find the the components for [a couple of hours of google]..eg american loads will use american components, european, european,

scales are a must.

The lee tends to throw the odd "wobbler" 

Powder is a case of what you can get locally and regularly.

Be it Vectan,Alliant,Hogden. Find a powder you can pick up easily and then start reading up 

load data  on the powder manufacturers website.

cases I usually bin dive local clay grounds. if you go down this route,grab a selection and see how they re load/re crimp.

Some work better than others. Try to avoid the high brass cases (black gold type) as it's hard to get lee die off them after re sizing.

Don't quote me on this but,the load all 2 is set up for 70mm cases I think.

3 hours ago, gotgcoalman said:

scales are a must.

The lee tends to throw the odd "wobbler" 

Powder is a case of what you can get locally and regularly.

Be it Vectan,Alliant,Hogden. Find a powder you can pick up easily and then start reading up 

load data  on the powder manufacturers website.

cases I usually bin dive local clay grounds. if you go down this route,grab a selection and see how they re load/re crimp.

Some work better than others. Try to avoid the high brass cases (black gold type) as it's hard to get lee die off them after re sizing.

Don't quote me on this but,the load all 2 is set up for 70mm cases I think.

Thanks but I'm confused, I thought that the Lee set up sorted the maths out for you

The Lee Load All will come with all the necessary powder bushings to drop the correct powder charge that you'll need, however, you'll need a good set of jewelery scales to find whichever bushing gives you the correct throw of powder as different powders will throw a different weight depending on how fine/coarse they are. 

The powder bushing guide that Lee publish are only a guide to get you in the rough area then it's over to the scales to see what it is actually throwing. 

Then it's a wise move to drop 10 or so powder charges to check that the bushing is throwing consistently. 

You can never be too safe when it comes to making sure you're throwing the correct powder charge. 

👍🏻

39 minutes ago, Spower said:

The Lee Load All will come with all the necessary powder bushings to drop the correct powder charge that you'll need, however, you'll need a good set of jewelery scales to find whichever bushing gives you the correct throw of powder as different powders will throw a different weight depending on how fine/coarse they are. 

The powder bushing guide that Lee publish are only a guide to get you in the rough area then it's over to the scales to see what it is actually throwing. 

Then it's a wise move to drop 10 or so powder charges to check that the bushing is throwing consistently. 

You can never be too safe when it comes to making sure you're throwing the correct powder charge. 

👍🏻

Mmm sounded like a good idea but to many variables for my brain cell so same as👍

• 3 weeks later...

powder scales   / lee loadall about £40 + postage / mec 600 mk 5   on evil bay  all in all a nice pastime  but only savings are for 20 bore to 410  or bigger shot sizes for game    ordinary clay busting loads no saving at all       or you just like to make something that kills rather than       watching strictly come something / reality tv       go to man cave  important work love        much to do    catch up later   busy busy     where abuts are you  plenty guys on here to help run you through machines sources for components etc 

Edited by Saltings

The lee load all 2 is a good place to start, you can find good used presses but too many people hoard them, over here. best bet is try and buy something from the states off ebay or cragslist, even with shipping they can be cheaper than used presses here. The lee is the logical place to start, agree with the scale advice even with the bushing charts and powder lists with the load all2 its not guaranteed and you need a scale to check charges.  The little lee perfect is ok but can only measure to around a 1/4 oz so not as versatile for weighing light shot charges as some other scales out there.

For the £70 the lee ;padall gets the job done. its new and well designed.

Another option if you have a drill press is a rto head as mentioned, and for a little more money you can buy an OMV smart loader these look good and although i have never used one i have heard good reports on them.

In time and if you are quite handy with fabrication, look at the many russian/ eastern block diy presses on youtube, it seems harrdly a day goes by without another one gets posted on there. take a look.

• 3 months later...
On 13/12/2019 at 11:46, panoma1 said:

A reliable set of powder scales for checking the accuracy of powder bushing drop (volume)!........vital bit of equipment! 

I've been looking at reloading the last couple of days, same as op, not about saying money but something to pass the time and add another dimension to the hobby.

I don't want to sound daft but how often are you meant to weight the charge, is it a do 10 as spower suggested then check it every X amount of cartridges? 

7 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I've been looking at reloading the last couple of days, same as op, not about saying money but something to pass the time and add another dimension to the hobby.

I don't want to sound daft but how often are you meant to weight the charge, is it a do 10 as spower suggested then check it every X amount of cartridges? 

I weigh all my Individual powder charges! Because now I only load non tox for wildfowling.........so I don't load using the press’s powder bushings, as some do with lead loads!......but I don’t think weighing one in ten drops would be excessive? But I’m sure the bulk loaders will be along soon to advise!

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

I weigh all my Individual powder charges! Because now I only load non tox for wildfowling.........so I don't load using the press’s powder bushings, as some do with lead loads!......but I don’t think weighing one in ten drops would be excessive? But I’m sure the bulk loaders will be along soon to advise!

Thank you for the reply, watched a few YouTube videos and read previous threads on here but it's always best to ask if you don't know lol.

As for the Lee loadall 2, do you load fibre wads the same was as plas as all the videos have been with plas. I'd like to do a 1oz load me and the missus can use for clays then something like an Oz and 1/8 for everything else for me. 

my experience with the lee loadall is you will need to spin the finished crimps on new carts to have reliable feed in an auto.

like has been said will prob cost you more than a finished slab in 12g but it passes the time as you say.

Edited by Remimax