Little bit of home butchery

Benthejockey

Been desperate for a cold snap for a month so I could kill some lambs and a barren ewe. Missed the frosty week last week with hurting my back but the forecast was good for this week that it wouldn't get above 5 degrees till today. I killed two lambs and the ewe on Tuesday afternoon. Treating myself to an electric hoist was definitely a good idea it made lifeting much easier! Chopped them up yesterday afternoon and they cut very well. The lambs were small but I expected that, the ewe had very little milk and they just don't do the same on a bottle and they definitely weaned early so never grew. The ewe was a Torwen that belongs to the FIL. Hes list interest so I'm running them with ours. She didn't hold to the tup and we're at a size now we can cull hard and Barren ewes are top of the hit list. She's only 3 so although technically mutton she's no real age and will be very good eating. This is a photo of the better lamb.

20191212_134715.jpg

Looks like some nice Lamb, i see you have taken the back bone off. 

Tip for home consumption, i remove the strip of sinew along the back (circled and a line that i would cut along and remove prior to cutting into chops), it takes some chewing and 9 times out of 10 ends up on the side of the plate. 

Lamb.jpg

41 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Looks like some nice Lamb, i see you have taken the back bone off. 

Tip for home consumption, i remove the strip of sinew along the back (circled and a line that i would cut along and remove prior to cutting into chops), it takes some chewing and 9 times out of 10 ends up on the side of the plate. 

Lamb.jpg

If I'm honest I forgot to take it off. I normally would. I took the back bone out, Mrs BTJ and the step daughter are a pain in the **** when it comes to chops and won't just pick them up and eat them and end up leaving loads on the bone, or I have to cut the bones out before I serve them so I did away with it! I also did a rack of lamb and a rack of mutton with the others, it's good but I'm not entirely happy with how clean I got the bones.