Metal glue/paste

ditchman

i am re-building and re guilding (24 carrot) a early victorian copy of a Louise 14th french chiming clock.....white marble and gold cherubs swags and outriggers.....but one of the cherubs hands is bust....its not bronze (like the original) it is a spelter or copperey type of pot metal........the break dosnt carry weight as the cherubs are bolted to the base...

so what i intend to do is to drill it out ...put a steel shaft/pin in it ....and use some metal paste glue and lightly clamp it together

WHAT GLUE PASTE DO I NEED.....................

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What about soldering it?

not putting any heat near it....dont want to even try to solder it...pin it and glue using a metal paste....smooth it over and re-guild......

13 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Loctite 638 would hold it particully with a steel pin, not sure how it takes with a spelter type material.

the pin will be spayed out and the holes accordingly....

should have taken some pics a few days ago cause it was mingin..........history is i bought it 20 odd years ago...it is a early victorian copy of a french louis 14th mantel clock..its made from smelter/copper pot metal ....NOT BRONZE...it was bust when i bought it for pennies and some one ...folk ...had over the years 

1. painted it
  2. guilded it (without size)
  3. guilded it with wieird size...(almost like a latex
  4. painted it

the marble was yellow...........i poo you not it was skip material.....all i did to it then was take to the clock person to have it checked and cleaned...since then it has been in various sheds

i have stripped it back...just the cherubs to the original surface...there are bare patches which i will recover...i will try not to do too much.....i have cleaned the marble on the outriggers and re-assembled them but the metal work needs cleaning down to original as it is all choked up and lost its definition...

if i remember i will take pics as i go along

clock 001tn_.JPG

clock 002tn_.JPG

clock 003tn_.JPG

clock 005tn_.JPG

I'd use JB Weld. Put a little on each surface and push well together.

TIP ... Have some acetone (nail polish remover) to hand and wipe excess resin off with that on a cotton bud or tissue as soon as you can. White spirit etc won't touch the stuff, but acetone will leave the surfaces clean and ready to take the top-finish.

Edited by Longstrider

45 minutes ago, figgy said:

Chemical metal is what I'd use, can file it paint it dri.it tap it, it just works.

right i will do that.............just got the size (glue) this morning ....better than the last lot i bought....so i will get on with it and proberly post a few pics up ?