Independence for Scotland

tonker

I know I'm thick and no politician, but if Scotland do get a vote and vote to leave.

Then they are not part of the UK ,and can't just breeze into the EU without applying and being accepted.

So with no money from us (Barnett formula) and none from the EU. How do they think they'll be better off? please educate me.

Edited by tonker

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scotland did vote remain not leave, the SNP had ref2 as part of there campaign. 

But I don't get what they are expecting,  they had the once in a lifetime vote, lost and want another, seems familiar somehow??

That said imagine if they weren't in parliament making a noise. 

But I just don't understand how they could make it work, are they somehow expecting billions off England??

6 minutes ago, Mice! said:

But I just don't understand how they could make it work, are they somehow expecting billions off England??

If they are independent, then they can’t expect to come cap in hand to us for money. Be careful what you wish for!! 

14 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Scotland did vote remain not leave, the SNP had ref2 as part of there campaign. 

But I don't get what they are expecting,  they had the once in a lifetime vote, lost and want another, seems familiar somehow??

That said imagine if they weren't in parliament making a noise. 

I truly believe the people that want to leave in Scotland get annoyed and want to leave for exactly your last statement. "billions off England??". Its ignorance like this that people in Scotland can not be bothered with. It would be "billions of Wales, NI AND England". 

*P.S. you may not have meant it that way. But its how it reads. 

Edited by Cawdor118

21 minutes ago, tonker said:

I know I'm thick and no politician, but if Scotland do get a vote and vote to leave.

Then they are not part of the UK ,and can't just breeze into the EU without applying and being accepted.

So with no money from us (Barnet formula) and none from the EU. How do they think they'll be better off? please educate me.

there was a thread during the scot ref....about a 1000 odd pages :lol:..........god knows how many good folk were banned as a result............and that question was asked in a 100 different ways................

and there was no conclusion............the EU aint going to welcome new members unless they can suck some dosh out of them....for scotland to survive as they are at the moment and joined the EU....the EU would have to take over our funding from westminster of 11.8 billion every year............

can you see the EU doing that ???...........also the first thing they will do is to kick the uk trident forces out of scotland which will affect 30,000 plus jobs and incomes...where will the money for the benifit payments come from ??

Tonker....you opened a can or worms..:w00t:

3 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

I truly believe the people that want to leave in Scotland get annoyed and want to leave for exactly your last statement. "billions off England??". Its ignorance like this that people in Scotland can not be bothered with. It would be "billions of Wales, NI AND England". 

No its England,  when I lived in Arbroath the locals were obsessed with London,  they thought because I moved from England that I'd made a fortune on my house sale, I'd been to London once as a kid.

Constantly going on about how Scotland beat England before England won the world cup (football) at Wembley,  I had no idea as I wasn't born, England this England that, London London London. And Bannockburn.

The DUP backed May and got more money because of it, we're stronger as the UK. 

You don't hear the English saying let's split from Scotland Wales and Ireland,  you hear it from the SNP.

14 minutes ago, ditchman said:

can you see the EU doing that ???...........also the first thing they will do is to kick the uk trident forces out of scotland which will affect 30,000 plus jobs and incomes...where will the money for the benifit payments come from ??

During the Election ditchy, NS said she would get the workers similarly skilled jobs to those they lost? The jobs wouldn't happen,  there are Machinists jobs and relocation packages available at the moment in Scotland,  I've been there done it, oil price dips and the jobs are gone.

If she could magic up these skilled jobs then she should, it would be fantastic,  but what about all the small businesses around Faslane that support the workers there??

Don't get it.

I know I live in the still Conservative south west of Scotland but picking up with the boys and girls was interesting today Two substantial points are that the Scots will have to be given Indy ref 2 or it will p*** off many who don’t want to leave but don’t appreciate English meddling either.

Secondly all that I have spoken to are pro the Union knowing full well they don’t have the financial clout to survive alone. Those with a brain know the score.

I always say they are fiercely independent but not stupid and I just cannot see  them agreeing to leave the UK. Still a dangerous move after SNP gains not to let them decide for themselves.

4 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I know I live in the still Conservative south west of Scotland but picking up with the boys and girls was interesting today Two substantial points are that the Scots will have to be given Indy ref 2 or it will p*** off many who don’t want to leave but don’t appreciate English meddling either.

Secondly all that I have spoken to are pro the Union knowing full well they don’t have the financial clout to survive alone. Those with a brain know the score.

I always say they are fiercely independent but not stupid and I just cannot see  them agreeing to leave the UK. Still a dangerous move after SNP gains not to let them decide for themselves.

I can understand all of that.

Imagine if Boris just said ok a week friday you can vote, stay or leave, take it or leave it. 

12 minutes ago, Mice! said:

No its England,  when I lived in Arbroath the locals were obsessed with London,  they thought because I moved from England that I'd made a fortune on my house sale, I'd been to London once as a kid.

Constantly going on about how Scotland beat England before England won the world cup (football) at Wembley,  I had no idea as I wasn't born, England this England that, London London London. And Bannockburn.

The DUP backed May and got more money because of it, we're stronger as the UK. 

You don't hear the English saying let's split from Scotland Wales and Ireland,  you hear it from the SNP.

The SNP dont represent us all and were not all English hating gingers. 

🇬🇧

7 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I agree! The silent majority want the union. Unfortunately we cant air it publicly for the 'morons' will pounce. It's hard playing 'whack a mole' with morons. 

9 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

🇬🇧

I agree! The silent majority want the union. Unfortunately we cant air it publicly for the 'morons' will pounce. It's hard playing 'whack a mole' with morons. 

I do a lot of work in Scotland, and I hear the same from most👍 

9 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

🇬🇧

Yep understand that and whilst I had been coming here for forty years before moving we could not have been made more welcome in this community. The hate bit is a real myth as far as I am concerned.

If NS didn't want indy2 she wouldn't have a job, that is there sole aim, to the point she priotises it over everything else  including the day job ,of running the country! 

I get independence, what I don't get is why you want out of one union and want to go in the EU, to me independence would be exactly that 

Scotland would not survive financially, they have already increased the deficit this year despite increasing taxes, how they would build up reserves to support their own currency beggars belief when you are running with a deficit

SNP only got 45% of the vote up here yesterday, the same percentage they had in the last referendum when they lost, why does this now give them the right to demand another indy vote?

Boris has said no new Referendum, if he suddenly started going back on his election winning manifesto he'd be hung drawn and quartered.

PS the oil figures the SNP quote for being sufficient to survive were last updated in 2014 before the massive oil crash which we are still recovering from........

So we would give up our highest per head Barnett payment, to set up our own civil service, armed forces, border guard pay the EU £££££££ and survive on the profits from whisky and haggis.

It's a joke that the SNP supporters think the streets are paved with gold in an independent Scotland, nearly as delusional as Labour supporters!

24 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

🇬🇧

Problem is all we hear are the SNP,  and they make a lot of noise until Andrew Neil asks them questions. 

And I know your not all ginger English haters, that made me laugh, I made some great friends while I was up there.

13 minutes ago, button said:

Scotland would not survive financially, they have already increased the deficit this year despite increasing taxes, how they would build up reserves to support their own currency beggars belief when you are running with a deficit

Well said.

9 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

SNP only got 45% of the vote up here yesterday, the same percentage they had in the last referendum when they lost, why does this now give them the right to demand another indy vote?

Boris has said no new Referendum, if he suddenly started going back on his election winning manifesto he'd be hung drawn and quartered.

PS the oil figures the SNP quote for being sufficient to survive were last updated in 2014 before the massive oil crash which we are still recovering from........

So we would give up our highest per head Barnett payment, to set up our own civil service, armed forces, border guard pay the EU £££££££ and survive on the profits from whisky and haggis.

It's a joke that the SNP supporters think the streets are paved with gold in an independent Scotland, nearly as delusional as Labour supporters!

Very well said. 

Spain would veto Scotland joining the EU, because of their own problems with a region wanting independence.

Sturgeon can ask for a referendum, but she hasn't got the power to force one. Total hypocrite - dishing out contracts to US firms, whilst being in favour of saving the NHS from the USA.

Small time politician, in the mould of Salmond. Strong on rhetoric, short on intelligence.