Independence for Scotland

tonker

5 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I don't believe that to be the case but anyway was using it as an analogy, no need to continue the debate on Brexit and specifically not the EU.

But choices have consequences and one of the consequences of Brexit is what we are seeing now in Scotland. 

I hope Scotland doesn't vote for UK independence but I'd prefer them to just be given the choice sooner rather than later and allow us all to get on with the things that should really matter to us.

Scotland have already chosen! And the SNP ain’t listening.......as did the UK, but the remainers  weren’t  listening either! :whistling:

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, panoma1 said:

Scotland have already chosen! And the SNP ain’t listening.......as did the UK, but the remainers  weren’t  listening either! :whistling:

By that logic we chose to stay in the EU back in '72 (or whenever it was). Clearly the Scottish Indy ref should have been held after the UK EU ref.

This is just the start of us reaping what we (actually you, I didn't vote for it on either occasion) have sown with Brexit.

8 hours ago, henry d said:

, otherwise she will see a drift into extremist nationalism (Scottish version of UKIP/brexit

How can anyone take you seriously when you come out with stuff like that ?

The SNP are already a nationalist party, hell bent on removing Scotland from its main economic partner, because it doesn't like being 'dictated' to , then signing itself up to a genuine dictatorship,  with no economic plan that makes any sense.

How is that not already 'extreme' ?

38 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

By that logic we chose to stay in the EU back in '72 (or whenever it was). Clearly the Scottish Indy ref should have been held after the UK EU ref.

This is just the start of us reaping what we (actually you, I didn't vote for it on either occasion) have sown with Brexit.

Well democratically you can start campaigning to rejoin the EU now!.....Good luck with that! 👍

22 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

Nicola Sturgeon is a racist. Discuss.

I actually thought she was Frankensteins daughter but I guess that wouldn't normally exclude her from being racist though.

I'd ask how so but matters of racial tension often don't end well here.

4 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Well democratically you can start campaigning to rejoin the EU now!.....Good luck with that! 👍

No need, there'll likely be a big long line of Brexiteers who barf on the reality of leaving before I do. It's called karma and she can be the mother of all biatches 🙂

Anyway, not really on topic...

I hope Scotland doesn't vote for UK independence but I'd prefer them to just be given the choice sooner rather than later and allow us all to get on with the things that should really matter to us.

They've had there choice, Gove on Sophie Ridge this morning was asked if Scotland would get another vote, a straight NO was the answer.

The Scottish people are not stupid, I doubt they would vote to leave.

12 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Pre election the yellow peril had their stall set up two Saturdays running in our small town only 8 miles from the English Border.  Why anyone in their right mind would support  the SNP when Nikky would not hesitate to have Border controls between us and our neighbours is beyond comprehension.   Our largest centre of population, supermarkets, builders merchants , high street shops etc is in Berwick on Tweed- in England over Nikkys  border two miles north of Berwick .  the mind boggles.

Blackpowder

11 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Exactly  , how would this border  system work   the amount of vehicles and people moving between the two countries  on a daily basis  ,  and what currencies  are we going to use here in Scotland.  And what are we going to do if we pop over the border into England . Are we having to go to the bank to get English money . What about the ferries near me at stranraer . They are dreamers and I strongly  believe they hate the English , or they hate the thought they are been ruled by them . Anything that goes wrong . Blaim Westminster.  It's the easy way out , blaim someone else . I love this country  and it's people.  I hate a divided  country , while the country is decided it will not prosper . 

I'm really glad that folk north of the border are talking sense.

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

the scots ran the British empire with their accounting and enjineers...

You forget the soldiers,  everything I've read on the Napoleonic wars says the "British " were so successful because of the Scots!

5 hours ago, matone said:

I think the SNP version of `independence` will expect large handouts from English coffers......everything you say is spot on imho.

No it's not English coffers,  that upsets some, but it is.

On 14/12/2019 at 18:59, mudpatten said:

I`m campaigning for an Independent Portsmouth. It`s an island off the coast of England with it`s own strong identity and dialect. Once granted we`ll declare war on England - and probably the Scots, and of course the French.

Before a shot is fired we`ll surrender to the English and benefit from the millions invested in a "failed state" being brought back into the democratic fold.

The mouse that roared!

The Snp are in a win win position , if the do get a referendum the government will again give them bribes to stay in the union so win or lose they gain out of it. They should be given a choice but all people born in Scotland should be given a vote, so all the expats who have good jobs in England should get a vote on if they would like to stay or go

17 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

The Snp are in a win win position , if the do get a referendum the government will again give them bribes to stay in the union so win or lose they gain out of it. They should be given a choice but all people born in Scotland should be given a vote, so all the expats who have good jobs in England should get a vote on if they would like to stay or go

And all who chose to retire here & brought their wealth with them would not?

The 2014 referendum was toxic. Many SNP supporters were becoming like fascist bully-boys (not as far from the truth as you might think!

Any opposition to their tunnel vision was promptly shouted-down. I witnessed this myself up here, when simple conversations about independance turned into a very one way slanging match.

Not a nice time, and not something i’d like to see happen again.

3 minutes ago, humperdingle said:

The 2014 referendum was toxic. Many SNP supporters were becoming like fascist bully-boys (not as far from the truth as you might think!

Any opposition to their tunnel vision was promptly shouted-down. I witnessed this myself up here, when simple conversations about independance turned into a very one way slanging match.

The same thing happened prior to and during the GE, with the Trotskyite hard left, currently in control of the Labour Party down here in England! It didn't work down here, it won’t work in Scotland......the people are not stupid!

12 minutes ago, humperdingle said:

I witnessed a lot of that unfortunately………… a bit like the Celtic - Rangers thing😳   

Scotland has a fantastic identity around the world as it is, so I'll never understand the need to try and fix something that's not broken🙄

31 minutes ago, KB1 said:

I witnessed a lot of that unfortunately………… a bit like the Celtic - Rangers thing😳   

Scotland has a fantastic identity around the world as it is, so I'll never understand the need to try and fix something that's not broken🙄

This sums it up for me. 

I have been fortunate to travel much of the world and my favorite place of all is Scotland. Every year for 20 years kayaking the rivers staying at Loch Awe in the West and Strathdon in the East. The rivers Orchy, Spean, Feshie, Findhorn, are truly magical. My uncle living in Dalbeattie in Ayreshire where where I stayed for many summers. Watching the rugby in the Tight lines pub at Loch Awe and in Tomintoul. Sailing the islands around the west coast from Oban. Its a fabulous place and its population welcoming and international. It is for me as much if not more a part of the UK as any of the nations. I don't care which way the funds flow we are so much more together why some are so keen to erect artificial barriers and hurdles between  people of one nation are beyond me.

Scottish Constituencies need to be reduced in number. Most contain far fewer voters than English constituencies. It a throw back to the boundary changes in Gordon Browns days when they were all Labour and he was happy to distort the vote in his favour.

If the books were balanced today about a third of the Scottish seats would vanish along with their MPs.

So lets do it?  

22 hours ago, mudpatten said:

Nicola Sturgeon is a racist. Discuss.

She is not racist she is a manipulator, cold bloodedly exploiting the fact that a lot of Scots have been fed for generations a load of bull shine about things that happened many hundreds of years ago.

She is an ex CND activist, Salmond was an ex Communist and Russia have set up a Russian funded radio station in Scotland called Sputnik to broadcast SNP propaganda to the Jocks.  Now why would Putin want to do that? 

Edited by Vince Green