Surveillance camera for field

30-6

Talking to a farmer, he asked if I had any suggestions to monitor in real time a field of sheep.

I looked at spypoint trail cams but they only give about 30 ish yards range. So does anyone know of a CCTV type set up running off batteries that would cover a field and relay to a smartphone ?

Reason behind this is last year he lost 9 sheep to dog attacks and wants some sort of warning or evidence if a recurrence happens.

I have assured him that if such a setup exists someone from PW will know.

My trail cams will cover 60-75yrds in daylight on deer/human size and 25-30yrds night time on such as a fox.  Give good clarity BUT on a field of sheep the camera will clock up a couple of thousand pictures in short time as the sheep move about.  They will record the evidence.   There are a number of systems which will connect to mobiles as well but obviously much more expensive.    

There a interesting thread here https://www.####.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21649&start=10 on the Night Vision forum, think you will need to register to read. The camera is a proper security cam with its own wifi and is powered by a 18650 battery pack and has a wifi antenna so you can view from a phone/ipod etc. Its mounted on a camera tripod. 

He has made it for viewing targets when plinking and says its wifi range is about 650yds, you may be able to improve this with a better antenna I guess.

This  is the camera ANRAN 5.0MP WIFI Security 20X Zoom PTZ Camera 2 Way Audio Talk 64GB Outdoor CCTV  he has used and has all the normal security features on a home security camera.

Mick

Edited by powler

59 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Have you considered a simple dash cam type set up?

If it is possible, then for evidence requirements I suspect it would be necessary to increase significantly the storage capacity. My dash cam has a 64 gig micro card and that lasts 2 1/2 hrs. I believe there are 128 gig cards.

The only way to keep an eye on the sheep is to monitor the camera 24/7. This is not normally practical as he will have to do his normal work and sleep among other things. A lot of dog attacks happen at night.

A way of protecting the sheep fulltime is to introduce a male llama in with the sheep. The male llama will see off most dogs and if they persist will attack them, sometimes terminally. How you use them with sheep dogs I am not sure. It's something he will need to look into to see if its practical.

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/craic/llama-guard-sheep

Edited by loriusgarrulus