pump action shotguns

mossy835

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mossy835 said:

well i went to uk gun repairs saw  dennis.,bought the mossberg its 24" barrel it was a 8 shot, but now its 3 shot.£95.and its a clean gun. went out on the rape, shot 27 pigeons so got on well with it.thanks for the replies.

hello, well done:good: just a question what is the weight and did it come with adjustable poly choke?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Out those two i like the winchester for opperation handling, but hear quality control lets then down. Be carefull make sure its right and look after the rotary bolt and i would go the SXP. but the mossberg has no risk involved its there and reliable and they do work great.

So my hert SXP but my head masberg. i can not leave it like that so have to go head and say mosberg but not by much, just the potential sxp reliability stopping it winning for me.

Pumps i have had a lot over the years. Here is what i felt was the best and why the best Last.

Ithaca 37 . i had two a 20 and a 16 . the 16 was a deerslayer.  Both nice handlers opperation was ok despite the one sid action bar. big negative was bolt layout. Yjr bolt face needed a strong case , if loads were on the edge or cheap cases the bases bulged at the lower part. True story look into that .

Never realy gelled with the ithaca it felt too pokey in handling for me needed more heft up front perhaps 12 vmight be better i do not know. 16 was sweeter handling i admit that.

Stevens (i think model 68, was a 12ga 3 inchh mag it handled well action was average to usable but not slick.  The single bar crabbed the bolt in the action, and one night duck shooting it actually snapped the bar right on the corner where it hooks into the forearm iron.and i welded it up tidy ground it up put a bit more metal on the corner area cold blued the bar and moved the gun on. lad who bought it had it three years never missed a beat with him.

Mosberg 88 was one of the old poly choke type, worked well enough was reliable but numb in handling, i kept it only a few months one season.

Mossberg 500 was acuchoked and ok similar to 88 and i still thought it lacking feel.

BPS had three all tens over 20 year period, reliable but long reach for forarm not sure on 12s 16s 20s etc.could be shorter reach. But that my only criticism.

Remington 870 wingmaster i had two late 70s to 89 and a 80s model gold trigger to 83 to 1991.

My first 870 was a wingmaster from i am guessing mid 60s it was well used and bluec was say 50% but it was reliable but only 23/4 inch it had a rib and was full choke. i used it for walked up scrub rabbiting i did a lot back then and it was a favourate for that job.

Second was a wingmaster mint rem choked and magnum it was typical Remington handling and i used it hardbut  replaced it when the 1187 came out trading it in for a new premier with £50 cash back at that time From hull cartridge.

my third  favourate Winchester model 12 duck it was mint condition magnum and full choke, i loved this gun it was one of my first guns when i was a kid my grandad bought me it in 1970s i was about 14 at the time i kept it for years sold it just after i got married in 1980.

Number 2 .  Do not hate me model 12 and 870 lovers but it was a winchester ranger 120, winchoke i bought new in 1985 when times were hard financialy for me.

It was briliant handled perfect fitted me like a glove the action was slick as glass once it got bedded in and it detached so fast after the shot it felt almost like it cycled itself.

Time mud and tides took its toll though, and the roatary lock up did begin to get nitchy and it let me down one morning when i had put some effort in to get to my possition, i sold it to mcloads at tain that same morning. But get a nice one and it will be a joy to own, but look after that rotary bolt be warned i did not take care of it enough.

My number 1 favourate pump of all time i have had is a rare bird.

A JC higins 12ga .

Never had anything like it in pump action in my hands, action was supper slick like glass it handled just perfect fit for me it was a part of me i kept that gun from 1978 to 2003 when my youngest lad was born. I sold it with some other guns to help fund a extension on the bungalow  prior to his berth.

So for what its worth JC higins.

Just had a look on the usual sites, no j c higgins for sale in the uk. Fully agree about the moss 500, feels like the most bland gun ive owned in years and am only keeping it as i have the silenced barrel. My best pump was the savage mod79, but my favourite was the sxp before it broke. Ive decided im going to have to buy another in the new year, and maybe a bps 😂

I have a Mossy 410 Mod barrel, great little gun once you get used to swinging it, never failed me and then I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster with two barrels ..long wildfowler and a 26 inch skeet. Had to replace one extractor claw in the last 40yrs. Was the choice back in the 70s/80s with super short barrels for visiting people at 4 oclock in the morning and never had an argument:yes:

24 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have a Mossy 410 Mod barrel, great little gun once you get used to swinging it, never failed me and then I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster with two barrels ..long wildfowler and a 26 inch skeet. Had to replace one extractor claw in the last 40yrs. Was the choice back in the 70s/80s with super short barrels for visiting people at 4 oclock in the morning and never had an argument:yes:

It is strange how weapons get chosen by various outfits. We had Browning Humpbacks and I loved the 13" barrel!

It comes more natural to me than any other form of shooting now apart from my hammer sxs. Once you get used to the idea of reloading when you want too and are ready, it all makes sense and second nature. Only draw back is the noise. 

I had the use of an adjustable choke years ago, found it hard work to twist and wouldnt recommend it tbh 

My favourite still and always will be the Ithaca 37, the fewest parts, simple action, all steel (apart from the ultralights) and when properly maintained, as slick as you like. All Ithaca’s hold an attraction for me, I love the history and story of the company and with the 37, the fact that it’s been in continuous production for 82 years says it all for me.

The JC Higgins probably edges the slickest action prize though and while JCH’s are hard to find, the Squires Bingham is the same gun, just as smooth and a lot less money. The JC Higgins brand was a Sears brand which applied across their stock range and included bicycles etc too. It was first manufactured and sold as the High Standard 200 (Flyte king if my memory serves me well) not many High Standards made it across the pond and are very collectible now. HS made the JCH. It is in fact still being made as the Rock Island Armoury M5. All can suffer from breakages where the alloy trigger group contacts the receiver (usually caused by poor maintenance/heavy handedness during disassembly etc) but aside from that they are great pumps. As far as I am aware, after High Standard, all are and were made in the Philippines by  Armscorp.

I sold my BPS to finance something else and have been looking for an early one ever since, I really must learn to hold on to the stuff I love, that was my third BPS!

edit

it occurred to me this morning that I may have missed another candidate for slickest pump, the Remington M31, aka the ball bearing gun. A contemporary of the Ithaca M37 (indeed the M37 could have been also called M31 but for some pesky patents) the Remington was a masterpiece of metal to metal smoothness. It was the forebear to the venerable 870, which was created to reduce manufacturing costs. I am still looking for a 31, my previous one having been sold by a relative who had it on his SGC temporarily 🤬🤬difficult to forgive that one

Edited by impala59

On 17/12/2019 at 08:14, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, were made by the Savage company when first sold by Sears Roebuck a sporting shop in the USA  then they changed over to Stevens Arms, rare to find in UK

Was told the JC higins was a HI standard or visa versa, by an old friend who knew is stuff on American guns, sadly no longer with us..