.22rf spinner target

PotHunter96

1 hour ago, PotHunter96 said:

What sort of steel would I use, and am I right in saying it should swing freely and be hanging off chains or something similar 

2 hours ago, PotHunter96 said:

Just wondering if the spinner type targets on eBay are safe to use with rimfire, some of them say rimfire use but I’m not so sure about richochets 

I use a caldwell resetting target, designed for .22LR and works well. I set it out at a minimum 50 yards.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p116858-caldwell-rimfire-resetting-target-cald-902365/#.XfUcNhvgqos

33 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have seen an idiot using a .22rf on a spinner and the ricochets were a bit unpredictable.

I remember going to the local traveling fair as a youngster and shooting .22rf at moving and stationary metal targets, bits of lead flying everywhere, do they still have them at fairs?

1 minute ago, old'un said:

Possibly or as you say firearms law, did you ever go on these funfair ranges?, I remember getting hit in the face a few times from ricochets.

Yes, when I was a youngster, many moons ago. I think they were replaced by the steel tube type of range. I have not seen on of those for years but to be fair (!) I don’t frequent fairgrounds very often.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I use a caldwell resetting target, designed for .22LR and works well. I set it out at a minimum 50 yards.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p116858-caldwell-rimfire-resetting-target-cald-902365/#.XfUcNhvgqos

Ahhhh was going to say mine will be set further between 70 and 100 yards, may get one of these! 

1 hour ago, old'un said:

I remember going to the local traveling fair as a youngster and shooting .22rf at moving and stationary metal targets, bits of lead flying everywhere, do they still have them at fairs?

The strawberry fair in Cambridge was the last place i saw them back in the 70's or 80's and you used a pump action Browning. They didn't use normal 22lr ammunition,but instead used ammo which the bullet vaporised on impact. They were also very very quiet so obviously subsonic.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Possibly or as you say firearms law, did you ever go on these funfair ranges?, I remember getting hit in the face a few times from ricochets.

Not ricochets I don’t think, splash back to be more correct. A ricochet from a .22 would be likely to kill or at least remove a part of your face.

You can get gongs on ebay, I'm sure that's where I bought one. 

Hardox 500 I think is the steel normally used, I've shot mine with 17hmr and the gong just laughs at it. 

Edit: Just looked, do a search on ebay of hardox 500, you should find something you like 👍🏻

Edited by Muddy Funker

On 14/12/2019 at 21:08, PotHunter96 said:

If I was to make my own gong am I right in saying the thicker the steel the better or would too thick be more likely to cause ricochets 

Thick enough so it doesnt get chunks shot out of it, but not so heavy that it doesnt move , it really needs to deflect the shot downwards.
Its got to be up against a decent backstop anyway.

On 17/12/2019 at 08:47, Muddy Funker said:

You can get gongs on ebay, I'm sure that's where I bought one. 

Hardox 500 I think is the steel normally used, I've shot mine with 17hmr and the gong just laughs at it. 

Edit: Just looked, do a search on ebay of hardox 500, you should find something you like 👍🏻

I have quite a few gongs in various sizes, made from Hardox 500. At 100 yards, there's hardly a dent in them when using my .243.