Todays report

pigeon controller

I was awoken in the night at 03.00 with the rain and the wind pouring down ,so when the alarm woke me at 06.00 I was expecting it to be a clear bright morning as per the weather forcast WRONG!!. It was still pouring down, dark, not a good day to go pigeon shooting. The options were go shooting or Christmas shopping, so I loaded the Disco and went  to pick up DB. Now last week you may remember that I picked up a flightline out of the city. This week not a bird flying at all.

We headed out to the field of standing maize we shot last week which was still standing and birds were in the trees but there was a known Range Rover in the gateway so we gave it a miss. We had been informed in the week of birds hitting the rape so we drove out to see and yes there were birds but only twenty or thirty braving the heavy rain. We carried on looking and came acros a cut maize field but again this had approx thirty birds in the tree and none on the deck. We eventually found some birds on a rape field but they had a game shoot on the farm so we left. We were starting to think we could blank this weekend when we came across a large field of rape with a few birds tight against a thick wood. We watched it for twenty minutes a saw no birds flighting but then realised they were dropping in from the wood . We put a shot up and approx three hundred birds lifted, just at that moment I had a phone call from another farmer twenty miles away " Can you shoot I've got thousands here" during the following conversation it transpires that the rain had stopped and the sun was out. So we made our way over to this farm which we arrived at 12.00 and yes there were a good five hundred pigeons on the rape. We chose our spot and set up the normal ten birds on spikes and two on the magnet. It was now 12.30 and the wind was cutting, the birds took an age to come across the field into the pattern and were jinxing left and right. In the first hour we must have had forty birds then it just stopped the flightline across the field ceased. We think the reason was that the first birds had been spooked off another farm with a game shoot and as we shot we just pushed them back. At 14.30 another flightline to roost started across the field and we decoyed more bird up to dark. We finished shooting at 15.30 and picked up seventysix pigeons which was a good bag for this farm but we had seen a good number of birds we will be looking for in the next few weeks

100-3471.jpg

76 Pigeons