Coat for Eric the Golden Retriever

WestonSalop

Dear PW.  Can anyone suggest a decent coat for Eric please? He's walked twice a day and for months now, he's come back with a totally filthy belly full of mud. HRH is getting a bit miffed with the fact that our conservatory/wet room and kitchen floors are never clean.

Have seen many on Amazon but customer reviews are conflicting. For example, some coats appear to be so all-encompassing that the dog ends up pee'ing inside the coat. Eric may need a wash but not in his own ****! Others cover the dog's back but provide no belly protection. Sizing seems an issue with many.

The benefit of your combined knowledge would be greatly welcomed.

Just wash the dog when you get home.

When I get home I leave Ted in the car, go inside and fill a bucket with warm water and dog shampoo, then I come get him out the car and wash all the mud off him.

I check him over for any injuries etc when doing this, I then llet him run about the front for a minute having a shake and then I use a quick dry towel to rub him down before coming inside. 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Just wash the dog when you get home.

When I get home I leave Ted in the car, go inside and fill a bucket with warm water and dog shampoo, then I come get him out the car and wash all the mud off him.

I check him over for any injuries etc when doing this, I then llet him run about the front for a minute having a shake and then I use a quick dry towel to rub him down before coming inside. 

Exactly.  Lloyd is a bit posher than me, I just had them on the lead and turned the hose on with the 'rose' fitted. 

I just use a normal dog coat for when we are away in the caravan to keep the worst of the wet off them. I don't  normally bother at home except for the pinscher who is nesh. The rest get a wipe over with an old towel.

A friend had one of these that she puts on the dog after a wet or muddy walk. Either in the car or at home.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morezi-Bathrobe-Microfibre-Drying-Absorbent/dp/B07VXTZYR5/ref=asc_df_B07VXTZYR5/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=375466893587&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8432598769410139445&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046460&hvtargid=pla-816804202059&ref=&adgrpid=79395905920&th=1

We have something similar to this for our lab. 

https://www.naylors.com/gifts/for-horse-and-pet/dog-coats/weatherbeeta-parka-1200d-deluxe-dog-rug-navy-red-white

The front/under flap catches a lot of the mud and he can still pee etc.

Ours are bright yellow and I've sewn on some reflective tape for the 6.30am dog walks.

He still gets his legs hosed down when we get home but it really does help.

dog coat.jpg

DSC_0010_2 - Copy.JPG

2 hours ago, hedge said:

We have something similar to this for our lab. 

https://www.naylors.com/gifts/for-horse-and-pet/dog-coats/weatherbeeta-parka-1200d-deluxe-dog-rug-navy-red-white

The front/under flap catches a lot of the mud and he can still pee etc.

Ours are bright yellow and I've sewn on some reflective tape for the 6.30am dog walks.

He still gets his legs hosed down when we get home but it really does help.

dog coat.jpg

DSC_0010_2 - Copy.JPG

That's really useful - thanks Hedge.

2 hours ago, WestonSalop said:

That's really useful - thanks Hedge.

No problem. The benefit for us as well is that the smaller underbelly piece catches most of the crud and can be detached (it's only Velcro) and chucked in the washing machine once in a while (or hosed off).

Ours have done at least 3 winters now and still going strong. We have a smaller sized one for the Cockapoo in the background.

18 hours ago, WestonSalop said:

So out of interest, what size did you get for the Lab? Seems that the sizing chart of the Naylors website is out of action...……..

Good question! I'm not actually sure. I think he's in a `large` as we bought a bigger size and it was too big/long for him.

Some dog coat places give measurements from base of tail to base of neck (or similar).

Let me know if you want me to measure it and/or check for a size tag.

On 18/12/2019 at 14:40, WestonSalop said:

So out of interest, what size did you get for the Lab? Seems that the sizing chart of the Naylors website is out of action...……..

FYI - the coat for our lab has a size label saying 55cm. That is the measurement from the base of the collar to his rear end. It's about 2 inches short at the tail. 

He's about 26kg, so not huge. If you have a larger dog, you might want the next size up or something c.60cm?

dog coat 55cm.png

We got something from Amazon, made from flannelette type stuff, it secures round the belly, covers head to tail and a collar that pulls up over their ears.  After a days picking up we put them on and then in the back of the truck, by the time we get home (depending on drive obviously) they are allot dryer and cleaner than if they had not had them on.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ruff-tumble-Dog-Drying-Coat/dp/B07DDDNY56/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1RVQIWCOZ8MZ5&keywords=ruff+and+tumble+drying+coat&qid=1577381519&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=ruff+and+tumble+%2Cpets%2C385&sr=1-6

Just been informed by the the lady of the house they were the above type. Not the previous type i added a link to. 

Edited by Dougy
change the link