Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wigeon jim

Old zabala sxs

Recommended Posts

Nice one Jim....... I had one of them for a number of years and fired 100s of shells through it , used it throughout the year on Pigeons over decoys and the odd bit of game , I liked the Beaver tail fore stock for a good grip when your hands are cold , in the end it was loose and wasn't worth the expense in having it done up so I took it up the police station to disclaim it , what it was turned into when melted down we can only but guess .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, wigeon jim said:

Took my old zabala out for a change, not used her for a long time,. 3 shots 3 pinks maybe I should take her out more,. Jim.image.jpeg.4db44141cf13fc9e99e2e6922be0a3cf.jpeg

Good shooting Jim well done. 👏Yesterday morning i shot with my old AYA No3 3" Magnum first two Skiens of Grey's R&L in my eyes nothing better than a traditional Right an Left opposed to using a Semi Auto Pump or Under and Over  👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Good shooting Jim well done. 👏Yesterday morning i shot with my old AYA No3 3" Magnum first two Skiens of Grey's R&L in my eyes nothing better than a traditional Right an Left opposed to using a Semi Auto Pump or Under and Over  👍

Hi Boyd ...... Hope your keeping well ..... I couldn't agree more about using a side by side , then I would really as they are the only type of guns I have used for 50+ years , apart from a very short spell and a bloodied nose when I fired it , I had a five shot Silver Pigeon pump action , at the moment I have got six guns in my cabinet , all side by sides , nothing I like better than taking my T Wild hammer gun for a session decoying Pigeons , leaving all the gadgets at home and just start with my old flexi coy pigeon decoys , a plastic five gallon can to sit on , a bit of net on poles or draped over some foilage , home made wire cradles ,  sticks ( kebab ) and a couple of boxes of Eley paper Impax , sheer bliss when the hammer is pulled back and the smell of a whiff of smoke after the trigger is pulled, and then hopefully leaving a dead pigeon on the stubble.

I still go fowling with a side by side even now and I will carry on using them till they finally get hung up and have a well deserved rest :good:

GOOD LUCK for the rest of the season .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same gun i much prefer it over my semi auto, i dont have to scrabbling about looking for spent cases and i think i shoot better with it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim fantastic I also use old aya no 3 magnum the Zabala s/s great guns nothing better than hitting geese with a s/s  it much more satisfying 👍👍👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That pic inspired me to take my aya yeoman out, only 70mm chambers though.   Shot everything with it in the past and only moved on to autos and pumps due to the steel rules.   Had a great foreshore flight thur evening, 3 pinks and one grey, should have got a photo Though!

one was shot with lead no 3, pointing inland when shot fired so legal in Scotland.  Two fell to32 gr no 2 steel (Winchester) and the grey fell to a gamebore 32grm no4 steel which is my standard duck load.

tempted to go back to it for all my wildfowling but limited choice of goose 70mm cartridges

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can’t beat a good old fashioned s/s wildfowling 👍

1 hour ago, flippermaj said:

That pic inspired me to take my aya yeoman out, only 70mm chambers though.   Shot everything with it in the past and only moved on to autos and pumps due to the steel rules.   Had a great foreshore flight thur evening, 3 pinks and one grey, should have got a photo Though!

one was shot with lead no 3, pointing inland when shot fired so legal in Scotland.  Two fell to32 gr no 2 steel (Winchester) and the grey fell to a gamebore 32grm no4 steel which is my standard duck load.

tempted to go back to it for all my wildfowling but limited choice of goose 70mm cartridges

 

Your yeoman can handle normal steel shot no probs 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gerry,

Yes the Yeoman is fine for standard steel, I have shot over 500 Gamebore 32grm No 4 through it and one of the barrels is full choke.   It's not magnum proofed but that hasn't stopped me from firing a few 70mm High Performance shells through it or magnum lead loads!.

My problem is getting hold of a 70mm steel cartridge with say no 2 or no 1 shot in for the geese.  Yes I have shot them with no 4 steel but only when they are close enough, really think you need no 2 or 1 shot when on the foreshore.

I was in the local gunshop today and the largest shot size they had in steel 70mm carts was eley steel no 3 32grm.

I can get 36grm no 3 bismuth but that's £57 for a box of 25!

RC do a 70mm 36grm no 1 cart but I can't get them here and shipping from Just Carts is extortionate as I am in the highlands.

May have to home load in the end!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

Hi Gerry,

Yes the Yeoman is fine for standard steel, I have shot over 500 Gamebore 32grm No 4 through it and one of the barrels is full choke.   It's not magnum proofed but that hasn't stopped me from firing a few 70mm High Performance shells through it or magnum lead loads!.

My problem is getting hold of a 70mm steel cartridge with say no 2 or no 1 shot in for the geese.  Yes I have shot them with no 4 steel but only when they are close enough, really think you need no 2 or 1 shot when on the foreshore.

I was in the local gunshop today and the largest shot size they had in steel 70mm carts was eley steel no 3 32grm.

I can get 36grm no 3 bismuth but that's £57 for a box of 25!

RC do a 70mm 36grm no 1 cart but I can't get them here and shipping from Just Carts is extortionate as I am in the highlands.

May have to home load in the end!

Easiest way to do it. Buy some steel shot size you prefer buy a Gaep BN3 crimp finisher carefully undo crimp with a screwdriver or blunt bradle ( i use Bradle ) put chosen  shot in spin and close with crimp finisher job done cheap option for custom load cartridges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, flippermaj said:

That pic inspired me to take my aya yeoman out, only 70mm chambers though.   Shot everything with it in the past and only moved on to autos and pumps due to the steel rules.   Had a great foreshore flight thur evening, 3 pinks and one grey, should have got a photo Though!

one was shot with lead no 3, pointing inland when shot fired so legal in Scotland.  Two fell to32 gr no 2 steel (Winchester) and the grey fell to a gamebore 32grm no4 steel which is my standard duck load.

tempted to go back to it for all my wildfowling but limited choice of goose 70mm cartridges

 

Hmmm. Not sure about the legality of your shot with lead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flippermaj said:

Hi Gerry,

Yes the Yeoman is fine for standard steel, I have shot over 500 Gamebore 32grm No 4 through it and one of the barrels is full choke.   It's not magnum proofed but that hasn't stopped me from firing a few 70mm High Performance shells through it or magnum lead loads!.

My problem is getting hold of a 70mm steel cartridge with say no 2 or no 1 shot in for the geese.  Yes I have shot them with no 4 steel but only when they are close enough, really think you need no 2 or 1 shot when on the foreshore.

I was in the local gunshop today and the largest shot size they had in steel 70mm carts was eley steel no 3 32grm.

I can get 36grm no 3 bismuth but that's £57 for a box of 25!

RC do a 70mm 36grm no 1 cart but I can't get them here and shipping from Just Carts is extortionate as I am in the highlands.

May have to home load in the end!

If you get them in close enough easier said and done mate lol your yeoman great wee guns Bismuth far too expensive I’ve done ok using Eley steel no3 on wildfowl but can also use 3 inch in my aya magnum 👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Boyd, that’s a good idea, may look into that further as I have a mate with the crisper already.

Motty,  I stand to be corrected but I thought that as long as my shot doesn’t fall on wetlands then I am legal?  So in theory I can be on the foreshore and shoot inland as the shot falls onto arable fields that are not wetlands?    Can anyone clarify?

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flippermaj said:

Hi Boyd, that’s a good idea, may look into that further as I have a mate with the crisper already.

Motty,  I stand to be corrected but I thought that as long as my shot doesn’t fall on wetlands then I am legal?  So in theory I can be on the foreshore and shoot inland as the shot falls onto arable fields that are not wetlands?    Can anyone clarify?

cheers

Good question, my take is that it would be where the shot is taken, for instance, if you had a winged bird that glided over the wetland would you not follow up with a second shot ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flippermaj said:

Hi Boyd, that’s a good idea, may look into that further as I have a mate with the crisper already.

Motty,  I stand to be corrected but I thought that as long as my shot doesn’t fall on wetlands then I am legal?  So in theory I can be on the foreshore and shoot inland as the shot falls onto arable fields that are not wetlands?    Can anyone clarify?

cheers

Very good question but if your on foreshore and shooting into the fields behind you is that whole area classed as foreshore because it borders the boundaries of the sea wall I wouldn’t know myself I’d just shoot steel in that area to be legal and safe Would like to find out myself anyone out there on forum Know ??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Good question, my take is that it would be where the shot is taken, for instance, if you had a winged bird that glided over the wetland would you not follow up with a second shot 

A chap I know shoots behind the sea wall in fields he has permission on and shoots lead at flighting geese (scotland) 

I always thought it's not legal for me take shots at these  geese  flighting from the shore over  these fields as I dont have permission to discharge a firearm in the direction of the that land.  Never mind lead or steel .

I could be wrong but that's my take. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...