4 x 4 trucks

ilovemyheckler

I am thinking of buying a new truck but which, if any, of the new (2018 onwards) type can be driven permanently in 4 wheel drive?

I have had discoveries and freelanders and they are all permanent 4 wheel drive but I have heard that some of the trucks, in particular the Navara doesn't have the fancy diffs that allow them to be driven permanently in 4 wheel drive.

Although I won't be driving permanently in 4 x 4 I would prefer one that I could in case I forget!

Thanks

When I was looking for a new 4x4 I found that most auto engaged 4x4 when the going got a bit slippery but with the option to manually engage 4x4 by means of a button or dial, I don’t think any of these part time 4x4s vehicles are meant to be driven permanently on tarmac in 4 wheel drive.

• 1 month later...
On 15/12/2019 at 17:17, ilovemyheckler said:

I have had discoveries and freelanders and they are all permanent 4 wheel drive

The Freebie has a haldex coupling that only becomes four wheel drive when needed.

Another vote for the L200, you can turn on/off 4 wheel drive using a selector knob, and the graphic on the dashboard will remind you to turn it off when you don't need it.  It's as close as you'll get to the old Discovery/Defender 'proper' perm 4x4 with a centre diff.

And to pre-empt an inevitable post from those who'd say electronics go wrong, should be a proper mechanical linkage...I can safely say they've never actually had to repair a Landie LT77/LT230 linkage...

L200 has a centre differential, so can run in permanent AWD mode on any surface at any time with no danger of transmission wind up, this is the same set-up as used on Land rovers etc....Navara's, Rangers, Dmax etc don't have a centre diff, so can only run 4WD on muddy or slippy surfaces, where the mud or snow allows the front & rear sets of wheels to turn at the same speed.  If you try and run these in 4WD on tarmac it will damage the drive train.

In this respect the Mitsubishi super select is superior to the others.

On 10/02/2020 at 20:17, matgriff said:

I guess it all comes down to cost, a center diff is more complex and therefore more expensive... definitely an advantage for the L200, which is why its probably the choice of farmers.

Not sure where you heard they are the choice of farmers......hair dressers maybe. I dont know anyone that owns an l200, but plenty with Hilux, Dmax and the Amarok

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

That’s very unfortunate looking.

Yes the 2020 model year has a 'face' only a mother could love.  I don't think they even sell them in the US, though I saw more than one with Mexican License plates when I was in San Diego recently.

3 hours ago, kennett said:

Not sure where you heard they are the choice of farmers......hair dressers maybe.

I resemble that remark....by the way what time are you coming in for your perm? 😁 

Seriously though, my experience with farmers is they'll go with whatever dealer offers them the best deal.

6 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Yes the 2020 model year has a 'face' only a mother could love.  I don't think they even sell them in the US, though I saw more than one with Mexican License plates when I was in San Diego recently.

I resemble that remark....by the way what time are you coming in for your perm? 😁 

Seriously though, my experience with farmers is they'll go with whatever dealer offers them the best deal.

Awww sorry, I've just had a perm and set today! I think the L200 has struggled to lose it's reputation for head gasket issues

My advice is to ge a 4x4 that can be switched into one of several 4x4 modes. I bought this vehicle( Lincoln Navigator) in 2003. It carrys a load of people and dogs to shoots and can pull a massive load over the mountains. When it had 200, 000miles on it I went looking for a replacement but could not find anything i liked better. I put a new engine and transmission in it and still love driving it over another 100,000 miles later.In the next couple of years i will finally replace it (It is the suv in front of the caravan) good luck on the search

1duck_camp.jpg