Predictions on the next labour leadership

Mungler

So, my prediction is that Corbyn will hang on in until he can install Rebecca Long-Bailey and with that the Labour Party will remain a bonkers far left and unelectable Party.

I would add that people won’t support or vote for people who are just unlikeable and ol Rebecca is the embodiment of that.

The only person who looks like possible prime minister / statesman material is Kinnock junior and if he picked Jess Phillips as his number 2 that appears to me to be the party’s best shot.

Watching labour in the media they are sticking with the narrative of blaming Brexit (and nothing else) and repeating over and over that all their policies and manifesto were well received - and why wouldn’t they be? They came out of the magic bag of everything for everyone regardless of cost or feasibility. 

The older grandees of the Party are desperate to get rid of Corbyn now, and with the loss that labour has sustained on election night it’s a real wonder why he hasn’t gone. Corbyn & Co will know that if they can weather the coming weeks, they can set the agenda, spin and see what else develops / blows over.

It’s fascinating to watch 😆

Edited by Mungler

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Mungler said:

So, my prediction is that Corbyn will hang on in until he can install Rebecca Long-Bailey and with that the Labour Party will remain a bonkers far left and unelectable Party.

I would add that people won’t support or vote for people who are just unlikeable and ol Rebecca is the embodiment of that.

The only person who looks like possible prime minister / statesman material is Kinnock junior and if he picked Jess Phillips as his number 2 that appears to me to be the party’s best shot.

Watching labour in the media they are sticking with the narrative of blaming Brexit (and nothing else) and that all their policies were well received - and why wouldn’t they, they came out of the magic bag of everything for entering regardless of cost or practicality.

The old grandees of the Party are desperate to get rid of Corbyn now, and with the loss that labour has sustained it’s a real wonder why he hasn’t gone. Corbyn & Co will know that if they can weather the coming weeks, they can set the agenda, spin and see what else develops / blows over.

It’s fascinating to watch 😆

Fascinating indeed and I concur with your views regarding Kinnock and Phillips. Long-Bailey not only sounds like the extreme left loony that she is but her persona is so ripe for ridicule that she and the party don't stand a chance of being elected. Which of course is good...…..!

And it looks like Caroline Flint and Emily Thornberry are going to be suing each-other over disputed comments made.

One thing about the Torys is that they ‘do’ party coups quickly and cleanly.

We are going to see labour tear itself apart and eat itself well into the next year now 😝

Until they can face up to the real reasons why they failed there's no chance of rebuilding a sensible political entity and I agree with Mungler that the war is about to kick off.

The 1920s are over and whilst their attempts at bribing the WASPIs and the students etc. pleased a few people, virtually no grown up in any party wants a full on left wing government. There are still plenty around of my generation who well remember just how awful life was with the nationalised railways, GPO, Gas, Electric etc. No matter how slick and untrustworthy Blair & Co were, they knew that they'd never get elected if they tried to follow that path.

Ideology is okay for ideologues but ordinary folk, no which party they normally vote for, don't want it from their leaders; instead they want pragmatism, understanding and consensus.

And I've just seen that Labour are now accusing the BBC of being biased against them and thereby helped Boris. Unbelievable! 🤣🤣

My brother in law worked for the BBC for 40 years and everyone in the organisation from top to bottom is left leaning and anti Brexit. They may have an official policy of being politically neutral but that's never filtered down to the people who script, plan and present the news. Huw Edwards can hardly even say Boris' name without looking like he's just bitten into a lemon.

1 minute ago, wyn said:

It's still only £3 to join the Labour party and be able to vote.  Same as last time, you can pick the craziest candidate they have and make them unelectable again.

Good point!

Looking back to when Jeremy Corbyn was voted in to lead the labour Party, he was added as the "Joke" candidate that backfired!

Who will be the "Joke" candidate in March 2020?

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely, Labour can only move onwards if they get rid of Momentum!

I remember quite a while ago talking to a young, idealistic momentum-supporting colleague, and she said that she'd be quite happy for Labour to split into Momentum and whatever's left.  I don't think she was alone in that view.

2 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I remember quite a while ago talking to a young, idealistic momentum-supporting colleague, and she said that she'd be quite happy for Labour to split into Momentum and whatever's left.  I don't think she was alone in that view.

If that becomes their policy it would only split the vote and leave the Conservative Government with no opposition!

1 minute ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Yes that’s one direction I can see but it then falls to funding - the unions and their sponsorship will of course go with the hard left.

The centre left in labour should jump in with the libdems and make the libdems the 2nd popular party choice.

I’ll have to look up the background to SDP because I think we’ve been here before.

Labour leadership are talking up Long-Baliey, but having seen more of her, I too think she is unelectable. Forget her, Thornberry, Starmer, Raynor and Butler - all have zero likability and a manner which will go down like a lead balloon on TV.

I don't think Kinnock is a heavyweight, but I thought the same of Johnson. Kinnock, plus Phillips or Nandy would be my guess. No baggage and not seen as extreme. Anyone foolish enough to suggest Cooper might ask where she has been during this debacle. Hiding away from where I sit.

1 hour ago, wyn said:

It's still only £3 to join the Labour party and be able to vote.  Same as last time, you can pick the craziest candidate they have and make them unelectable again.

There's a lot of press attention on a loose campaign of 'rejoin and rebuild' to get the moderates back in control and wrest it from the loony left. Alistair Campbell's making a lot of noise about it.  They reckons 100,000 new members from the centre would give enough power to vote out any hemp wearing hipster Leninite and get in someone sensible

Edited by chrisjpainter

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

Spot on with all of that.

They are searching for reasons why they lost the election and which defects away from Corbynism. Yes, it’s started; hold tight, it’s going to be both fascinating and entertaining.

not just fascinating and entertaining, it will be bizarre and scary too!

There is none so blind as those that WILL not see ……...

Edited by Vince Green

10 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

My deepest wish is For Rebecca Wrong Daily to get the job, she is Corbyn with a skirt on. Five more glorious years of total Marxist baloney would suit me just fine.  

An effective opposition is vital to hold the government to account, and so Corbyn in a dress to me is bad for the country as a whole.

Same was true during the wilderness years for the Tories (Hague, Duncan-Smith, Howard) - they made little to no progress at holding the Blair/Brown administration to account.