Predictions on the next labour leadership

Mungler

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

Easy money  Its hardly a kings ransom. 

Not many would do the job for what they get. They could be out of a job in a few years. 

You have to be joking! £70,000+ p/a plus salary, £200,000 p/a odd expenses, London home paid for, constituency house paid for, duck house paid for, heavily subsidised food and drink in the commons restaurants and bars, sponsored salaried jobs out side Parliament, gold plated pension....possibly elevation to the lords, and that is ordinary MP’s....members of cabinet, members of committees, Secretary of State, prime minister, deputy prime minister etc, etc, etc, all get much more! Not to mention cash for questions, jobs for influence, free travel, free foreign holidays (jollies).......

21 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

You have to be joking! £70,000+ p/a plus salary, £200,000 p/a odd expenses, London home paid for, constituency house paid for, duck house paid for, heavily subsidised food and drink in the commons restaurants and bars, sponsored salaried jobs out side Parliament, gold plated pension....possibly elevation to the lords, and that is ordinary MP’s....members of cabinet, members of committees, Secretary of State, prime minister, deputy prime minister etc, etc, etc, all get much more! Not to mention cash for questions, jobs for influence, free travel, free foreign holidays (jollies).......

:lol: Your reading the wrong papers. 

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

Your reading the wrong papers. 

So none of that is true, and they’re all living hand to mouth, in two bedroom maisonettes, in a small midland town, shopping at Lidl, using a food bank, and eating in the local greasy spoon?........eerrrrr.......ok!

Please point out where I’m wrong?.....

Edited by panoma1

5 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Others have already mostly answered this, but I'll add - 

Money for being sacked I think it is around £30,000.

So get your application in boys. The application process takes several years of course. During this time you will be expected to deliver leaflets and pound those pavements whilst being spat on and chased by dogs. If your lucky you may get shortlisted to be put forward for a seat. 

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

So none of that is true, and they’re all living hand to mouth, in two bedroom maisonettes, in a small midland town, shopping at Lidl, using a food bank, and eating in the local greasy spoon?........eerrrrr.......ok!

You go to jail for fraud. The duck pond expenses were thrown out. Anyone who has traveled for work will know how quickly the novelty wears off. Expenses are just that expenses. 

Not saying its not true just misrepresented.

Just now, oowee said:

So get your application in boys. The application process takes several years of course. During this time you will be expected to deliver leaflets and pound those pavements whilst being spat on and chased by dogs. If your lucky you may get shortlisted to be put forward for a seat. 

You go to jail for fraud. The duck pond expenses were thrown out. Anyone who has traveled for work will know how quickly the novelty wears off. Expenses are just that expenses. 

Not saying its not true just misrepresented.

In real life if your caught ...yes you can go to jail! The fact that an MP felt claiming for a duck house was a justifiable expense to claim public money for, was bad enough! And I was using this, just an example. In Parliament there is little or no accountability.........travelling for work gets tiresome but it depends how much you are getting paid for it! Travelling on a jolly, taking a partner and staying in a luxury hotel at someone else’s expense, must be very tiresome!

How has it been misrepresented? I don’t understand!

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

In real life if your caught ...yes you can go to jail! The fact that an MP felt claiming for a duck house was a justifiable expense to claim public money for, was bad enough! And I was using this, just an example. In Parliament there is little or no accountability.........travelling for work gets tiresome but it depends how much you are getting paid for it! Travelling on a jolly, taking a partner and staying in a luxury hotel at someone else’s expense, must be very tiresome!

How has it been misrepresented? I don’t understand!

The morals of a minority don't make it true for the majority. The MP's I have worked with including my old bosses (labour and Tory ministers) were some of the hardest working people I have ever met. To the point for many it's no longer a job it's a way of life. 

If you look you can see who got what. For example Ms Abbott got her mp's salary then claimed 150k in expenses. So not bad money for a non producer. And it is a similar picture for the rest of the shadow cabinet. Higher for the actual cabinet as their pay is far higher. And all the menials get expenses for virtually every breath they take. There are an awful lot of millionaires in Parliament. On both sides. 

Interesting to see some of the reasons that the party feel have caused this dramatically low vote and VERY interesting to see just who is going to stand for Leader and Deputy Leader.

Best one this morning from Chris Bryant MP was that "THEY WERE WRONG TO VOTE FOR THE ELECTION in Parliament and to give Boris his way.

They didn't vote for a General Election for so many times, why did they cave in if they couldn't see a win?

And yet another one blaming the media for telling falsehoods about Jeremy Corbyn, so perhaps he is a wonderful chap who has never had dealings with the PIRA and other global terrorists!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Expansion!

What's cracking me up is the way the hard left are moaning and blaming the Brexit/racist/thick/fat cat/little Britain/Tory/Boomer [insert whatever other insult you like here] for making the 'wrong' decision and not voting Labour. 

I have one 'friend' on social media with whom I maintain that status merely to look at some of the loony left stuff she posts. It's quite illuminating at how in denial they are, with the "not my PM" memes and "RIP NHS". 

It is funny but I agree with an earlier poster than an effective opposition in our system is a good idea.

Just as an aside, The Spectator "coffee house shots" daily politics podcast is pretty good for updates on this unfolding disaster. 

33 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I see the "Dream Team" pairing of Long-Bailey and Raynor hit the media today. They really are dreaming.

Let's see how many times we hear "we need to look at the package as a whole, leader and deputy" used. A friend who is a professional union activist used it yesterday and I've heard it on the news this morning.

I suspect the large Unions have already made their choice..

15 hours ago, oowee said:

The morals of a minority don't make it true for the majority. The MP's I have worked with including my old bosses (labour and Tory ministers) were some of the hardest working people I have ever met. To the point for many it's no longer a job it's a way of life. 

Sorry mate but if these are the hardest workers you have met  you need to get out more

8 minutes ago, scutt said:

Sorry mate but if these are the hardest workers you have met  you need to get out more

+1 

That's got to be one of the most bizarre comments you've ever made Grant. 

I'm not saying they don't work hard, but you want to compare an MP s salary and workload to a nurse in a busy hospital? 

18 minutes ago, oowee said:

The nurse gets a day off.

Youre actually trying to say a nurses job isn't as hard as an MP s? 

I'm not even going to talk about days off, because the argument is frankly ridiculous. 

An MP works his job as hard or as easy as they please, a nurse, plus many many other trades, don't have that luxury. 

You're digging yourself a massive hole here. 

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Youre actually trying to say a nurses job isn't as hard as an MP s? 

I'm not even going to talk about days off, because the argument is frankly ridiculous. 

An MP works his job as hard or as easy as they please, a nurse, plus many many other trades, don't have that luxury. 

You're digging yourself a massive hole here. 

Drama queen. Re read the post. 

When, years ago I used to spend my days off work (during the week) fly fishing at a local trout fishing reservoir, a certain MP would often rock up, ingratiating himself on the fishery staff with a boot full of “House of Commons” labelled malt whisky.....he got his fishing for free......and he was there a lot!......He must have been, as he was usually there when I was there, on my days off! 
It’s debatable if he ever attended the house of commons!!.......totally idle, freeloader!

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

When, years ago I used to spend my days off work (during the week) fly fishing at a local trout fishing reservoir, a certain MP would often rock up, ingratiating himself on the fishery staff with a boot full of “House of Commons” labelled malt whisky.....he got his fishing for free......and he was there a lot!......He must have been, as he was usually there when I was there, on my days off! 
It’s debatable if he ever attended the house of commons!!.......totally idle, freeloader!

Hopefully he got sacked. 

18 minutes ago, Scully said:

Eh? Meaning MP’s don’t? 😂

Not at all but there are a number of MP's that work every hour they are awake. All as I am saying is that for some being a politician is a lifestyle choice and they give everything they have for the cause.