Predictions on the next labour leadership

Mungler

19 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

My take on it is that a political career in Labour party is a cushy number, and it attracts the wrong people for all the wrong reasons.. Candidates get selected not on their ability but on their loyalty to the Party and the cause. Not only in Parliament, local government is full of them too.

Go to all the meetings, clap at all the right times, tell the branch chairman that was a wonderful speech from time to time and no matter how big a plonker you may be you will get on.

First it will be committees etc and gradually you will rise through the ranks   

Pretty well summed up. I joined the labour party about 7yrs ago and went along to the local meetings, it was a real eye opener.

Don't get me wrong, there are some hard working and well meaning people in the organisation but they are in the minority. 

However many were individuals who truly believed that society owed them a living. Their philosophy in life was that they should do as little work as possible,ideally no work at all.They also believed they had a God given right that others would provide all their needs to support a comfortable life style. 

I didn't,t stick around too long and decided to leave them to their bitter fantasy world.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Deaton the Parliamentary Sketch Writer for the Daily Telegraph must be on drugs!

From his latest article;

"Please. Labour MPs, if you’re reading this, I beg you: help make Barry Gardiner your new leader. Think of the joy it would bring. And not just because PMQs would be renamed Gardiner’s Question Time. 

Labour’s spokesman on international trade may have left it late to enter the contest, but, on behalf of the wider sketch-writing community, I dearly hope he makes the cut. And why shouldn’t he? After all, what the Labour party most urgently needs to regain – well, apart from about three million voters – is its self-confidence. And I doubt there’s anyone in Labour, or Westminster, or perhaps even the world, who is more self-confident than Barry Gardiner. Confidence wafts from him like some mysterious but powerful cologne. A cologne with a name like “Aplomb”, or “Finesse”, or “Status”. 

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Michael Deaton the Parliamentary Sketch Writer for the Daily Telegraph must be on drugs!

From his latest article;

"Please. Labour MPs, if you’re reading this, I beg you: help make Barry Gardiner your new leader. Think of the joy it would bring. And not just because PMQs would be renamed Gardiner’s Question Time. 

Labour’s spokesman on international trade may have left it late to enter the contest, but, on behalf of the wider sketch-writing community, I dearly hope he makes the cut. And why shouldn’t he? After all, what the Labour party most urgently needs to regain – well, apart from about three million voters – is its self-confidence. And I doubt there’s anyone in Labour, or Westminster, or perhaps even the world, who is more self-confident than Barry Gardiner. Confidence wafts from him like some mysterious but powerful cologne. A cologne with a name like “Aplomb”, or “Finesse”, or “Status”. 

that is very much said with tongue up yer bum

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

that is very much said with tongue up yer bum

Not an image I would like to dwell on for too long thank you.

However I am coming to the view that some of the candidates for Labour leader may well be sectioned for their own safety under mental health legislation such is the extent of their delusion.

First it was funny, then it was a bit tragic, finally, it seemed too bizarre to be taken seriously but now its gone beyond that

I can remember watching the results coming in on election night, and after a short while it was clear that the exit poll was a pretty accurate summation of what was about to befall the Labour Party. Around midnight Laura Kuenssberg received a text message from a source at Labour Party HQ telling her that the official party line was to be that Brexit was to be the reason that they had failed so dismally.  Not Corbyn, not their tax and spend policies but Brexit, and Brexit alone. 

From that point on every single Labour official interviewed and every Labour MP to lose, or even hold their seat parroted the Brexit excuse... until the dust had settled the following morning.

It was clear that Labour's Brexit 'policy' had played a not insignificant part in their downfall, but it was also clear that Corbyn was toxic on the doorstep, and suddenly ex MP's, activists and the media talking heads didn't care who knew as they turned on the dear leader with a ferocity unthinkable just 24 hours earlier. I have to say I loved every minute of it. 

Which brings us nicely to the leadership contest and the candidates reasoning behind their party's catastrophic failure to win over the nations electorate for the 4th time running... and they still haven't cottoned on as to why they lost so badly, and will almost certainly lose again in 5 years time. For those in the running Brexit and Corbyn were the architects of their downfall, and yes to a certain extent they were, but there was a third, and possibly more important reason why they didn't connect. Boris Johnson.

Thatcher would never have broken the 'red wall', neither would Cameron and nor would May. Boris has a charisma, a 'feel good' factor if you like. He's almost a brand in his own right. He exudes a confidence in this country going forward. This is his time, it's something he's always wanted and he'll want his legacy to be one like Churchill's or Thatcher's as opposed to Cameron's or May's. Will he deliver? Well only time will tell, but if he does Labour will be out of power for a long, long time.

For Labour to win the next election they'll need to win 124 seats with a swing across the country of some 10.3%. There's not a single candidate on Labours list who has the confidence and charisma to do that. And they know it.

8 hours ago, poontang said:

I can remember watching the results coming in on election night, and after a short while it was clear that the exit poll was a pretty accurate summation of what was about to befall the Labour Party. Around midnight Laura Kuenssberg received a text message from a source at Labour Party HQ telling her that the official party line was to be that Brexit was to be the reason that they had failed so dismally.  Not Corbyn, not their tax and spend policies but Brexit, and Brexit alone. 

From that point on every single Labour official interviewed and every Labour MP to lose, or even hold their seat parroted the Brexit excuse... until the dust had settled the following morning.

It was clear that Labour's Brexit 'policy' had played a not insignificant part in their downfall, but it was also clear that Corbyn was toxic on the doorstep, and suddenly ex MP's, activists and the media talking heads didn't care who knew as they turned on the dear leader with a ferocity unthinkable just 24 hours earlier. I have to say I loved every minute of it. 

Which brings us nicely to the leadership contest and the candidates reasoning behind their party's catastrophic failure to win over the nations electorate for the 4th time running... and they still haven't cottoned on as to why they lost so badly, and will almost certainly lose again in 5 years time. For those in the running Brexit and Corbyn were the architects of their downfall, and yes to a certain extent they were, but there was a third, and possibly more important reason why they didn't connect. Boris Johnson.

Thatcher would never have broken the 'red wall', neither would Cameron and nor would May. Boris has a charisma, a 'feel good' factor if you like. He's almost a brand in his own right. He exudes a confidence in this country going forward. This is his time, it's something he's always wanted and he'll want his legacy to be one like Churchill's or Thatcher's as opposed to Cameron's or May's. Will he deliver? Well only time will tell, but if he does Labour will be out of power for a long, long time.

For Labour to win the next election they'll need to win 124 seats with a swing across the country of some 10.3%. There's not a single candidate on Labours list who has the confidence and charisma to do that. And they know it.

A very astute appraisal!:yes:

I would add as others have stated, they must know they are out for a long time, they in any form are unelectable and must be hoping for Boris to balls up everything so that they may rise again.

Good old honourable Labour grandees must be turning in their graves!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
ADDITIONAL COMMENT!

Barry Gardiner was wheeled out to the media in the week before the election when they had run out of people to put in front of the camera - he knew nothing about nothing but played the role of a well meaning inoffensive grandad type. Total magnolia.

As for Boris, he exudes a deep seated love of his country and pride in it; the total opposite of the Shadow front bench.

The reality is that the majority of people who go to work are relatively content - yes it could be better but it could be a whole lot worse and they weren’t prepared to gamble what they currently have against a JC return to the 1970s.

That article posted earlier in this thread from the Bruges group nailed it - people aren’t serfs waiting to be rescued from their masters nor are they stupid enough to be bribed with government spending their own money.

8 hours ago, poontang said:

Good post.

7 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Barry Gardiner was wheeled out to the media in the week before the election when they had run out of people to put in front of the camera - he knew nothing about nothing but played the role of a well meaning inoffensive grandad type. Total magnolia.

As for Boris, he exudes a deep seated love of his country and pride in it; the total opposite of the Shadow front bench.

The reality is that the majority of people who go to work are relatively content - yes it could be better but it could be a whole lot worse and they weren’t prepared to gamble what they currently have against a JC return to the 1970s.

That article posted earlier in this thread from the Bruges group nailed it - people aren’t serfs waiting to be rescued from their masters nor are they stupid enough to be bribed with government spending their own money.

And another. I believe that Boris has the UK’s best interests at heart, and whilst I believe he is intent on making a name for himself in history, he is also intent on it being for the right reasons.  
I genuinely believe he is proud to be British and has our best interests at heart. 

34 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

..... they lack a positive purpose that the electorate can identify with.

That's correct. Labour thrive on negativity;

• Taking money from 'the rich'
  • Taking businesses and making them public property (under the name of Nationalisation)
  • Penalising success
  • Discouraging hard work
  • etc.

The real story is that Labour appeals (in a large part) to the unsuccessful who are always looking over the fence and being envious of those who are successful.  In my experience 'success' (and by the way I have not had anything more than a very average life/career as an employee myself) comes through 3 major things;

1. Hard work
  2. Taking risks
  3. An element of 'good luck'

The success that results from these three coming together can make owners/instigators wealthy, but usually also ripples down providing employment and advantages to others.   This causes resentment amongst others who see it as 'unfair' and want to penalise the success.

The truth is that you need risk takers, hard workers, entrepreneurs, and under a fair system they can be encouraged to maximise their businesses and the whole country benefits through their efforts.

If you penalise them/over tax their success, they either won't bother, or more likely will go elsewhere where their contribution is welcomed.

Where you draw that fair contribution threshold is of course one of the big differences in our left/right politics.

3 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

One of them's just said there should be a referendum on the monarchy. It's as if they're trying to make themselves nationally unelectable

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51062770

Ah but ,if ever they do get in, they will give non British citizens and 16 year olds the vote. Then they will be hard to remove.

6 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

That's correct. Labour thrive on negativity;

• Taking money from 'the rich'
  • Taking businesses and making them public property (under the name of Nationalisation)
  • Penalising success
  • Discouraging hard work
  • etc.

The real story is that Labour appeals (in a large part) to the unsuccessful who are always looking over the fence and being envious of those who are successful.  In my experience 'success' (and by the way I have not had anything more than a very average life/career as an employee myself) comes through 3 major things;

1. Hard work
  2. Taking risks
  3. An element of 'good luck'

The success that results from these three coming together can make owners/instigators wealthy, but usually also ripples down providing employment and advantages to others.   This causes resentment amongst others who see it as 'unfair' and want to penalise the success.

The truth is that you need risk takers, hard workers, entrepreneurs, and under a fair system they can be encouraged to maximise their businesses and the whole country benefits through their efforts.

If you penalise them/over tax their success, they either won't bother, or more likely will go elsewhere where their contribution is welcomed.

Where you draw that fair contribution threshold is of course one of the big differences in our left/right politics.

In a nutshell they hate wealth creators, something that every thriving economy needs, which then in turns creates employment and so on and so on, just like the SNP!

beccy wrong daily.............is likley to inherit...............she will carry the momentum sect with her and cobynisters............the rest of old labour will eventually turn inward on themselves and dissipate to the far left or far right...........

still think we will see a milliband come from somewhere

Edited by ditchman

On 10/01/2020 at 07:45, Mungler said:

I'm not really into politics , and I only follow it as much as I need to ,  but this pretty much summed it all up for me.

On 10/01/2020 at 17:34, Gordon R said:

Unless they dump the loony policies they will never get in.

This . Anyone with any common sense,  could see that the labour party policies sank below poor , and we're verging on lunatic. 

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

beccy wrong daily.............is likley to inherit...............she will carry the momentum sect with her and cobynisters............the rest of old labour will eventually turn inward on themselves and dissipate to the far left or far right...........

still think we will see a milliband come from somewhere

Are you serious, one from International Rescue! The other still carrying that stone tablet around.

Either of the MILLIBLAND brothers would not make the current labour party more electable.

9 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Anyone with any common sense,  could see that the labour party policies sank below poor , and we're verging on lunatic. 

I completely agree, yet they actually got 32% of the votes cast ........ which indicated that 1 in 3 of the electorate has no common sense.

On reflection, that is probably quite true!

9 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I completely agree, yet they actually got 32% of the votes cast ........ which indicated that 1 in 3 of the electorate has no common sense.

On reflection, that is probably quite true!

From my own pretty none political point of view , I would guess that a lot of traditional labour voters were just scared to vote conservative,  I'll be quite honest and say that voting tory left me feeling a bit uncomfortable, I'll also be quite honest and admit that Corbyn and his lunatic party and policies , frightened the xxxx out of me . One good thing , is that Boris Johnson does seem to recognise and acknowledge this , and hopefully he'll remember it as he moves the country forward.