Wild fowling Moray

tomzxr

Hi All,

I've just moved up to Moray and work at RAF Lossiemouth. Did quite a bit of shooting on a DIY Syndicate in Yorkshire and the odd flight but only on ponds. Am interested in getting into foreshore but from my (maybe limited!) research can't seem to find a Club in the vicinity. 

The main place that keeps cropping up is Findhorn Bay and there is a reasonable amount of guidance on when and where you can shoot to keep both the guns and the local people opposed to it happy! However haven't found too much recent information about FIndhorn and nothing about other areas along the coast East of Inverness.

Does anyone have any local knowledge and is happy to share info about where people generally wildfowl please? Am interested in getting started and if anyone doesn't mind the company I'm very happy to tag along! As well as any tips, please PM as appropriate.

Thanks,

Ed

35 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I would imagine something akin to a WF floating 6. The house brick menu applied. His wife was a superb cook but all she could manage was several gallons of soup.

Ok . i think 6 is a little light, in fact many would argue fly rods are unsuitable for Geese and best suited to game fish including Grayling. also the brick recipe has been replaced by modern methods of goose prep, I think a full explanation is in order............ and the soup recipe 

9 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Ok . i think 6 is a little light, in fact many would argue fly rods are unsuitable for Geese and best suited to game fish including Grayling. also the brick recipe has been replaced by modern methods of goose prep, I think a full explanation is in order............ and the soup recipe 

At the time the brick recipe was in vogue and I'm afraid there's no chance of that for the soup as I lost touch with Dave back in '77. Google or grab a map and you want Findhorn bay in the West and Lossiemouth in the East. I suspect that you're going to have trouble believing this as well, but again it's perfectly true. As the geese came ashore over Findhorn Bay the gunfire resembled the first day of the Battle of the Somme. It is quite true that on a good morning the paper boys in Forres collected more geese than the Guns on the marsh. Having overflown Forres they hung a left and approached Spynie Loch from the south landing for a breather before heading off to the stubbles to feed. Coming from Elgin the field on the left of the turning for RAF Lossie' used to be a favourite spot. I can't find it now so I imagine that it's gone but just south of Spynie was a fishery with fly fishing attached. Some geese which didn't fold up over Forres made it to Spynie before expiring on the Loch. But some couldn't quite make it and came down in the fishery and suffered a similar fate. Dave had taken two days' leave to fish early morning and on day one with a deft bit of casting retrieved 5 and on day 2 a further 3.

Thanks for the replies all!

Wymberley -  unfortunately Milltown is no more! Which is a shame as I've heard it was pretty good. We just have a rough shoot which walks up some of the rough ground left around RAF Lossiemouth and Kinloss still owned by the MOD. Need to hunt for a bit more...or dig a pond and feed it!

Ive asked BASC to pass my details to Nairn and Forres Wildfowlers and will dig a bottle of whisky out and approach some folk! 

https://www.sacs.org.uk/media/uploads/cat-252/findhorn-voluntary-restrictions-2019.pdf

This link explains the voluntary restrictions to keep both wildfowlers and the locals opposed to shooting happy. However it only discusses the Eastern half of Findhorn Bay and the measures and geographical boundaries agreed to keep shooting between Kinloss and Findhorn to a minimum. Is the Western half of Findhorn still used by wildfowlers or is there a reason it isn't mentioned...? And do you generally find somewhere along the road to stash your car (not blocking entrances/fields etc.) and walk in to set up or are there access issues which mean you can only use part of the Bay?

Sorry, new to this and don't want to ruin it or give the regular folk a bad name for trespassing or anything of the sort!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...