correct way of carrying semi auto rifle or shotgun ??

gray_b

6 minutes ago, fizzbangwhallop said:

Whether I’m out stalking or in company, I usually carry a rifle or slung semi-auto on the front of my shoulder, barrel up.

With the rifle I’ve usually got Binos or the thermal to manoeuvre in front so a forearm  is usually wrapped around the rifle controlling it at all times.....For me it’s easier to do this to control the gun if the weight of the moderator is pulling the barrel downwards... certainly easier than trying to hang on to or grab the sling as the rifle or shotgun swivels backwards..... not a pleasant place to be if you’re stalking behind someone who’s not barrel aware. 

Getting the gun into the shoulder is simpler with less movement as it’s already on the front of the body.

Cheers

fizz

Z sling will take care of that. Pity I did not use it when I dropped my rifle in the river last weekend. :blush:

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 19:30, Ultrastu said:

You have never been walking behind someone with a slinged gun barrel upwards and its slipped so the barrel is now pointing backwards at an angle  right at your face  .? 

No ? Its very common .

I shoot in company and we carry muzzle down .That heavy lump of steel (barrel )  pulling its self toward the ground in a safer direction than someones face  .

I wouldn't be walking around in company with a loaded gun slung over my shoulder!

If I am on my own then the rifle will hang underarm with the muzzle pointing forward. It will have a round in the chamber and the safety on. Carried like that the trigger is protected by my body and upper arm as well.  If I am being guided or following another hunter then I will carry it pointing upwards and again loaded, safety on.  Never down because if a target animal suddenly appears and I go down on a knee, the muzzle will undoubatably plug.    Shotgun rough shooting or as a walking gun, then loaded, safety on and barrels ported upwards. If just walking with a shotgun between drives or not 'active' then barrels open under arm and empty.   As my deer rifles are single shot break open I can treat these in the same way.

Whichever the most important part is having the muzzles pointing in a safe direction at all times and not being waved about or lodged sideways across your arms as many do when walking in line.

Same as any other kind of gun pointed in a safe direction at all time. , if moving areas or crossing obstacles, unloaded or at least the chamber cleared.

Pointing down loaded in company means yours your hunting partners lower limbs are at risk and any dogs are history if it discharges.

When empty always upwards or by the barrel over your shoulder, pointing down the risk of barrel plugging is real issue and semi auto or pumps not just as easy as break barrel guns to check.

I sometimes use a semi-auto for clay shooting. It has a shoulder strap. When not shooting (between stands) I carry it unloaded, on my shoulder pointing upwards with the bolt back (chamber exposed to show empty) and magazine empty. 

I don't use one rough shooting so can't say what I'd do, but probably the same as with my SxS / O/U. If you think something is unsafe chances are it is.   

• 2 weeks later...

Over shoulder barrel up, the gun is not vertical it stands off some 18" from head (not going to blow head off) when on own loaded safety on, when not 2 in magazine, apart from that the obvious safety applys ie climbing fence, wall, gate, from vehicle to position ect Not loaded, but nothing is black and white😇

I got a ####ing off a keeper for carrying gun barrels up resting on my shoulder - this was how I was told to carry many years ago (I'm nearly 70 now!). The reasoning I was given many years ago which seemed logical then was to bring gun to shoulder to shoot would mean pointing towards anyone ahead of you if you had in under your arm. Over shoulder meant fresh air when mounting. I have tripped and consciously kept gun pointing upwards so seems to work for me. As a beater it scares me walking towards guns and seeing both barrels brought upwards through the line from an under the arm position!

I have always carried my semi autos barrel, action open, up when I am trapping for my buddy or in the slip. I’m going to fit a sling to my affinity and keep it on my shoulder barrel up from now on as a saw a bloke whack his beretta Auto last week.  It left a lovely big ding on the nice blue action and he was gutted. Not sure how my scores will fair but I’m going to give it a go.

2 minutes ago, Taileron said:

I have always carried my semi autos barrel, action open, up when I am trapping for my buddy or in the slip. I’m going to fit a sling to my affinity and keep it on my shoulder barrel up from now on as a saw a bloke whack his beretta Auto last week.  It left a lovely big ding on the nice blue action and he was gutted. Not sure how my scores will fair but I’m going to give it a go.

Keep it in a gunslip, that's what they are for!