correct way of carrying semi auto rifle or shotgun ??

gray_b

What is the correct way of carrying a slinged semi auto rifle and/or shotgun.

The gun has a sling, but in carrying it does the barrel point up or down ? Assuming its loaded and safety on.

Its something I have been thinking about.

Or would you empty the cartridges, before carrying?.

The weapon should be unloaded unless it is at the point of being used. When unloaded it should be carried with the muzzles pointing up.

Imagine you are carrying the weapon loaded with the muzzles down and the gun loaded and it goes off, it will possibly blow your feet off.

Shotgun safeties are not very efficient as I have seen demonstrated.

Vic.

Why pointing down loaded or unloaded, when the barrel can get plugged with mud. I am a short sort of guy, and have had that occur

Upwards you could shoot your brains out, or downwards shoot your feet off.

Its just some thing I have been dwelling on. seen lots of people and photos of people doing it both ways.

5 minutes ago, gray_b said:

Why pointing down loaded or unloaded, when the barrel can get plugged with mud. I am a short sort of guy, and have had that occur

Its just some thing I have been dwelling on. seen lots of people and photos of people doing it both ways.

Down because I find it easier and quicker to bring up to the shoulder when I need to. 

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You must have an extremely long neck!

You have never been walking behind someone with a slinged gun barrel upwards and its slipped so the barrel is now pointing backwards at an angle  right at your face  .? 

No ? Its very common .

I shoot in company and we carry muzzle down .That heavy lump of steel (barrel )  pulling its self toward the ground in a safer direction than someones face  .

15 minutes ago, gray_b said:

In my case  it's because on several permissions you rarely get to fire  a shot.

Barrel down deters the sparrows from nesting in there.

1 minute ago, gotgcoalman said:

In my case  it's because on several permissions you rarely get to fire  a shot.

Barrel down deters the sparrows from nesting in there.

I only ever shoot on my own, as I do not trust others being around me. But I know what you mean.

I think barrel down on a shoulder, and not over your head on a shoulder.

Loaded rifle whilst stalking deer, barrel down and hold the barrel with your right hand (right handed shooter). This controls muzzle direction under all circumstances, and is the easiest way to bring the rifle up with least movement.        I don’t have slings on shotguns, but if I did they would be carried empty to where I was going to shoot.

4 hours ago, gray_b said:

What is the correct way of carrying a slinged semi auto rifle and/or shotgun.

The gun has a sling, but in carrying it does the barrel point up or down ? Assuming its loaded and safety on.

Its something I have been thinking about.

Or would you empty the cartridges, before carrying?.

It depends on the circumstance.

On Clay ground, muzzle up or down, unloaded, empty mag, on sling.

Out and about walking expecting shot, muzzle up, loaded in hands or over shoulder

Out and about not expecting shot, loaded mag, empty chamber, muzzle up slung over shoulder.

At the hip, pointing forwards, arcing left to right in a half crouched,stooped position 😂

I've taken to carrying the rifle muzzle down pointing slightly forward. If by some miracle it went off on its own - because as any good anti gun person will tell you guns want to shoot people of their own volition - the shot is going to land a foot in front of me. 

There's no one right way to carry a firearm, as long as the sharp end is pointed in a safe direction, you aren't swinging it through people when you unshoulder it and if you're carrying it loaded and ready to go an accidental/negligent discharge is going to go in a safe direction then that's pretty much all you can hope for.

Whether I’m out stalking or in company, I usually carry a rifle or slung semi-auto on the front of my shoulder, barrel up.

With the rifle I’ve usually got Binos or the thermal to manoeuvre in front so a forearm  is usually wrapped around the rifle controlling it at all times.....For me it’s easier to do this to control the gun if the weight of the moderator is pulling the barrel downwards... certainly easier than trying to hang on to or grab the sling as the rifle or shotgun swivels backwards..... not a pleasant place to be if you’re stalking behind someone who’s not barrel aware. 

Getting the gun into the shoulder is simpler with less movement as it’s already on the front of the body.

Cheers

fizz