Is there a downside to VPN ?

Cranfield

8 hours ago, Cranfield said:

Are there any main disadvantages to installing VPN ?

You do know that you can turn them on and off? So really there are noย disadvantages.

Although that said,ย  I'm not sure what the advantages of using one in the UK would be other than to watch live sport that's only being broadcast (or broadcast free) in another region. A VPN is excellent for that - althoughย I've discovered that one thingย you can't do with one is to castย a program to the TV from a phone or whatever while the VPNย  is connected. So if you're using one to watch live sport, then you need to hook up a laptop (connected to the VPN) to the TV via an HDMI cable and use that instead.

Pretty much covered what posted above one thing that can be an annoyance is where the VPN Concentrator is (where you attach to) as If it's another country some of your normal default behavior on location gets messed up. So I use one and 'land' in Holland so when I use some websites they try and push my to the .nl varaints etc

1 hour ago, captainhastings said:

Apart from iplayer and itv hub not liking it not really. Just disconnect it if you want to watch themย 

ย 

51 minutes ago, prem1234 said:

Pretty much covered what posted above one thing that can be an annoyance is where the VPN Concentrator is (where you attach to) as If it's another country some of your normal default behavior on location gets messed up. So I use one and 'land' in Holland so when I use some websites they try and push my to the .nl varaints etc

ย You don`t have to connect to a foreign country with a VPN, ย I have been using IP Vanish for years and they have various UK servers to connect to so no problems with UK catchup TV or foreign website variants.ย 

I travel a great deal and take my laptop. In most countries I can still get Sky Sport and BT Sport, plus I have access via streaming pirates if necessary.ย 
There are stories that this might change once we leave the EU.
Also stories that sites will soon be able to detect VPN and block it

I can view news via websites, but ITV Hub and BBC iplayer will not let me view live streaming programmes.
VPN seems the logical solution, but as I do not know anyone who has it, I needed some confirmation.
Thanks for the responses.

4 hours ago, Cranfield said:

ut ITV Hub and BBC iplayer will not let me view live streaming programmes.

I watched the rugby word cup games on Scottish TV (ITV). My VPN had a Glasgow IP address and ITV wouldn't let me register - told me to go to STV instead! So I did. I watched the Masters golf earlier this year from an IP address in Georgia USA for another example. If you get a decent provider you can 'be' anywhere in the world pretty much. Mine is an add-on that I get as part ofย  an Avast anti-virus package. I just paid it - think it was about $80US for the year for 4 devices. I figure that's fair enough.

24 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Totally lost on me ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿค”

but

im wondering how you know this stuff and why you would need to ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคญ

It's all fairly common knowledge. I've never been on the Dark Web but I know you need to use Tor to access it. I've watched quite a bit of stuff about "The Silk Road" website police investigation and a lot of the tech is explained there.

As admin on a small shooting forun we are very wary of people who sign in using vpn's.ย 

If their profile says they are in Chingford but the ips puts then in Nairobi/Moscow or some other completely different place it just dunt sit reight... ๐Ÿค”

The software flags all sorts up, not surprisingly all the spammers use vpn.ย 

On 18/12/2019 at 10:49, Cranfield said:

I travel a great deal and take my laptop. In most countries I can still get Sky Sport and BT Sport, plus I have access via streaming pirates if necessary.ย 
There are stories that this might change once we leave the EU.
Also stories that sites will soon be able to detect VPN and block it

I can view news via websites, but ITV Hub and BBC iplayer will not let me view live streaming programmes.
VPN seems the logical solution, but as I do not know anyone who has it, I needed some confirmation.
Thanks for the responses.

Used to spend quote a bit of time in Spain so downloaded Tunnel Bear i could then access BBC and ITV and both players so a very good deal

for a few dollars a month.Wish i could Sky sports thro some sort of download!!

On 26/12/2019 at 19:42, Mr_Nobody said:

It's all fairly common knowledge. I've never been on the Dark Web but I know you need to use Tor to access it. I've watched quite a bit of stuff about "The Silk Road" website police investigation and a lot of the tech is explained there.

And thereโ€™s me thinking you work for mi6 ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜‚