Next generation of biodegradable plastic wads

18 minutes ago, 243deer said:

The league against cruelty to cacti will have something to say about that

Anyway hasn't eley already done this? https://www.eleyhawkltd.com/media-events/press-releases/eley-hawk-launches-the-first-disolvable-and-biodegradeable-wad-

The ones eley and others  are using are not the total solution, they have to seal the cartridges by welding the petals closed as the wads are very hygroscopic. Manufacturing the wads is slow so they are expensive and welding the petals together slows the loading machine down considerably again increasing costs. All far from ideal.

Edited by rbrowning2

31 minutes ago, Salopian said:

lancer 425 ,

There is already a very good case material .

It is called paper cases . Readily available from most cartridge manufacturers .😄

Yes but it swells easy and for steel shot wads not sure it is ideal, i have never loaded a bucket wad in a paper case not sure .  Bio degradable might be a bit more resilient to damp, but again will it degrade and end up with a pocket full of mush shot and powder. Could be right, but can you load bucket wads in paper cases, i have been loading for years but have no idea.

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

Surely to produce paper you have to cut down valuable trees!

Think most of the trees for building, fuel and paper making are “sustainable” fast growing softwoods, they cut down 100 trees and plant 100 trees, supposed to-be carbon neutral, well that’s the theory anyway.

Also there is recycled paper/card.

merry Xmas :santa:

Edited by old'un

I’ve been playing around with these and they are SUPERB!

The Eley vip bio wads dissolve in 24hrs in water ( normal fibre was and gamebore super steel cup still very intact after 72 hrs)

in 32gr no5 steel and ½ beretta choke they knock over good pheasants and serious Partridge ( I’m trying to get 3 for high pheasant)

The was material wouldn’t be strong enough for casing... maybe someone will develop ho steel proof paper cases.

Very impressed so far, if only shops would stock them...

2 minutes ago, PPP said:

I’ve been playing around with these and they are SUPERB!

The Eley vip bio wads dissolve in 24hrs in water ( normal fibre was and gamebore super steel cup still very intact after 72 hrs)

in 32gr no5 steel and ½ beretta choke they knock over good pheasants and serious Partridge ( I’m trying to get 3 for high pheasant)

The was material wouldn’t be strong enough for casing... maybe someone will develop ho steel proof paper cases.

Very impressed so far, if only shops would stock them...

The standard wads will still be intact in 20 years in water! 
The bio wads are good and I chucked one outside on the gravel a week ago and it’s a slimy mess now. Recon another week with rain and will be almost gone.

I got mine in 3’s and paid a lot, £10 box which is a lot for steel and is top end lead game load price.

1 minute ago, dodeer said:

The standard wads will still be intact in 20 years in water! 
The bio wads are good and I chucked one outside on the gravel a week ago and it’s a slimy mess now. Recon another week with rain and will be almost gone.

I got mine in 3’s and paid a lot, £10 box which is a lot for steel and is top end lead game load price.

Ouch, 7.50 box here for 5’s ... cheaper than usual game carts so if I can find the 3 at that price I’ll be happy to switch ( once I’ve used up the lead which will see me through 2020) still 32g so should be same price?..