Leather Spinner?

CaptC

As most of you PW's know I come across some pretty of odd bits and pieces but in all my years I have never seen one of these -

Leather spinner with what looks like a nickel head. Two pieces of leather very skilfully sewn together which covers the length of the "tube" (3" long) and whipped a couple of times at the neck.

No makers name to be seen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

CaptC

DSC_0001 (34).JPG

DSC_0002 (32).JPG

It is a leather wagtail lure, used for salmon in the early days probably before they went over to mounted sprats for spring fishing, which then in turn was more than likely the fore runner development of the devon minnow.

Bit before my time as a salmon fisherman/boy when I started back at the start of the  70s, then it was the toby,  devon and quill  minnow and mepps, and home made spinners with swiss wing spinner blades.

Cheers

MM

Edited by madmax666

1 minute ago, madmax666 said:

It is a leather wagtail lure, used for salmon in the early days probably before they went over to mounted sprats for spring fishing, which then in turn was more than likely the fore runner development of the devon minnow.

Bit before my time as a salmon fisherman/boy when I started back at the start of the  70s, then it was the toby,  devon and quill  minnow and mepps, and home made spinners with swiss wing spinner blades.

Cheers

MM

Thank you very much! So circa late 19th early 20th century? A nice find! I have a small collection of old minnows, Mepps ,Toby's and some others. This will make a nice addition. Thanks again

If you like the oldies, try and pick up a few Dibro Minnows from the 70s , I still use them even now if any of the old salmon boys are on here they may remember the old advert for them in Trout and Salmon..remember boys paint them in your own favourite colours. I didn't like their mounts the swivel was too small and weak so I made my own.

In the early 80's I started reading Field & Stream from the states, and moved over to plugs or as we say now minnow lures and purchased from Cabellas by phone..I do miss the personal touch these days as its all online. Then it was a case of for me Rapalas and Canadian Wigglers which caught me a lot of salmon and seatrout back then. Funny these days even 80s lures are retro.

MM

Edited by madmax666

39 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

If you like the oldies, try and pick up a few Dibro Minnows from the 70s , I still use them even now if any of the old salmon boys are on here they may remember the old advert for them in Trout and Salmon..remember boys paint them in your own favourite colours. I didn't like their mounts the swivel was too small and weak so I made my own.

In the early 80's I started reading Field & Stream from the states, and moved over to plugs or as we say now minnow lures and purchased from Cabellas by phone..I do miss the personal touch these days as its all online. Then it was a case of for me Rapalas and Canadian Wigglers which caught me a lot of salmon and seatrout back then. Funny these days even 80s lures a retro.

MM

Golden days! Will certainly have a look for a Dibro - Cheers

16 hours ago, madmax666 said:

Cheers

MM

Still use Devons deep and slow for Spring fish, and mepps for summer........but the flying condom takes some beating in faster lower water from late spring on!

19 hours ago, CaptC said:

Exactly the same as a traditional brass bodied minnow but this is leather?

Looks like S&M for fish!🤪

7 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Still use Devons deep and slow for Spring fish, and mepps for summer........but the flying condom takes some beating in faster lower water from late spring on!

Looks like S&M for fish!🤪

Funny, that was my thought as well!

27 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Only salmon ive ever caught have been on the flying c 👍

I first came across the Flying Condom in Southern Ireland many, many years ago! In Ballina, Mayo......I was told it was invented by a French Angler....originally using a Mepps blade, and a lead weighted silicon tube covered body!....it was immediately successful for me on the Moy river and subsequently many other rivers in Eire......I have used it extensively ever since, all over the UK and Ireland, and caught many fish with it! The biggest to date at 24lbs, on a homemade, silver bladed, black bodied condom......a truly great bait!

But for early season big springers, the Devon fished deep and slow, is still the bait of choice for me!

Flying condoms - fond memories of fishing near Cork. Three superb fish aided by a local chap who knew the river better than the salmon themselves! We were staying in Kinsale and distributed the fish around the local hostelries whose generosity with the Guinness nearly had me on my knees! 

58 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I first came across the Flying Condom in Southern Ireland many, many years ago! In Ballina, Mayo......I was told it was invented by a French Angler....originally using a Mepps blade, and a lead weighted silicon tube covered body!....it was immediately successful for me on the Moy river and subsequently many other rivers in Eire......I have used it extensively ever since, all over the UK and Ireland, and caught many fish with it! The biggest to date at 24lbs, on a homemade, silver bladed, black bodied condom......a truly great bait!

But for early season big springers, the Devon fished deep and slow, is still the bait of choice for me!

hello, when did you go to Ballina, i fished the Moy there and such a nice town, i have also fished for trout in Co Clare around Ennistymon,

37 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, when did you go to Ballina, i fished the Moy there and such a nice town, i have also fished for trout in Co Clare around Ennistymon,

I have fished the Moy many times......Estuary, Lower river, cathedral, boxes (before they were demolished!) oppposite the Ridgepool, association stretches, Armstrong’s, Mount Falcon, the stretch near Hughes lounge bar (forget the name) the secretary was the builder who built Jackie Charltons house! Foxford.......can’t recall all the stretches/beats! Lol!

Mostly in the Seventies and Eighties.........trout at mayfly time on the Corrib from Lal Faherties out of Oughterard, Salmon from the Nuns Island fishery at Galway, sea trout and Salmon on Lough Currane, trout on Lough Leane and Salmon on the Laune river,  Cork Blackwater, Mulcaire, Shannon, Roughty,  too many to recall! Lol!
Not to mention the East coast rivers, Boyne, Slaney......

Great times.....wrecked on Guinness and Jameson’s too many times to count! egg and chips for lunch in the Cafola cafe in Ballina! 

Just drinking a few shots of Black Bush! With my son.......as I write!.........Welcoming in Christmas!....so don’t expect too much sense from here on in! Lol!

30 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I have fished the Moy many times......Estuary, Lower river, cathedral, boxes (before they were demolished!) oppposite the Ridgepool, association stretches, Armstrong’s, Mount Falcon, the stretch near Hughes lounge bar (forget the name) the secretary was the builder who built Jackie Charltons house! Foxford.......can’t recall all the stretches/beats! Lol!

Mostly in the Seventies and Eighties.........trout at mayfly time on the Corrib from Lal Faherties out of Oughterard, Salmon from the Nuns Island fishery at Galway, sea trout and Salmon on Lough Currane, trout on Lough Leane and Salmon on the Laune river,  Cork Blackwater, Mulcaire, Shannon, Roughty,  too many to recall! Lol!
Not to mention the East coast rivers, Boyne, Slaney......

Great times.....wrecked on Guinness and Jameson’s too many times to count! egg and chips for lunch in the Cafola cafe in Ballina! 

Just drinking a few shots of Black Bush! With my son.......as I write!.........Welcoming in Christmas!....so don’t expect too much sense from here on in! Lol!

hello, i did fish a small river outside on Ballina, but most in Clare, the Lickeen lough, it was then a small club of local fisherman and stayed in Ennistymon, use to go over 3/4 times a year, it was before the recession in Southern Ireland

Ahh the great drainage sheaugh......(the moy).....lol sadly now in decline,,3 hr drive down for me ,,,on river at 4am on July morn,,leaving at dark and not a pull,,,but as they say the tugs the drug....all those blank hours go in a  flash of silver,,,easiest river to get a fish if they are on and moving,,I'm more of a worm man myself canf beat the big float.....got my 10yr old girl her first fish on last weekend this year,,,had a cpl day before in same pool so just told her keep it moving on that line and wait,,,20 mins later her first ever harvest salmon a memory that will never fade...even better it made part of today's lunch for everyone!!!

Edit to add Thierry rollo,,,the French flying c man,,,very adept angler whether spin bubble fly or light worming,,,years of knowledge!!

Edited by millrace

I used to meet lots of NI lads on the banks of the Moy, one in particular was an excellent angler, mainly with the floatfished shrimp, you may know him (he had a crucifix tattooed in the middle of his forehead!!) part time (when he wasn’t poaching!) he used to gillie for rich tourists..........I bumped into him one morning on the bank at about 8 am, he already had half a dozen salmon in his net!
It was on the banks of the Moy the first time I ever heard (and saw) a Corncrake!

18 hours ago, millrace said:

Ahh the great drainage sheaugh......(the moy).....lol sadly now in decline,,3 hr drive down for me ,,,on river at 4am on July morn,,leaving at dark and not a pull,,,but as they say the tugs the drug....all those blank hours go in a  flash of silver,,,easiest river to get a fish if they are on and moving,,I'm more of a worm man myself canf beat the big float.....got my 10yr old girl her first fish on last weekend this year,,,had a cpl day before in same pool so just told her keep it moving on that line and wait,,,20 mins later her first ever harvest salmon a memory that will never fade...even better it made part of today's lunch for everyone!!!

Edit to add Thierry rollo,,,the French flying c man,,,very adept angler whether spin bubble fly or light worming,,,years of knowledge!!

• 2 months later...