The cinema...movies

ditchman

Just watched the film review..............

am i getting totally past it ....do i need to be on drugs...or smashed out of my head..............

There are some seriously weird ...strange ...films out now....is this now the new norm....to watch them my brain needs to be re-wired

is anyone with me on this...or is this confirmation that i am now an idiot 

The last time I went to the cinema we had to queue up to watch Titanic , prior to that it was the original Jaws , going by that we are not really cinema goers .

Maybe conditions have got better in the cinema's now , but we went to the Aquarium on Yarmouth seafront once and it was so cold I had to take my Winter coat off and we both tried to get underneath it , we came out of there shivering and when we got home we had some soup to warm us up , if we hadn't had a free ticket I would have asked for my money back :lol:

I find that a lot of the modern stuff on TV and the big screen is a meaningless jumble of muttered dialogue, dark pictures and loud, unnecessary, background music.

I intend to start watching the new series, 'Witcher', on Netflix' tonight but expect to be disappointed.

Vic.

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

and star wars #9

Hate the whole Cinema thing.Mobile phones being played with and the smell of popcorn and stinky dips.Im already for home after sitting though 30minutes  of adds,my backs aching, some bum hole is tapping their foot on the back of me chair! I'm proper wound up and the **** she wants to watch hasn't even started.

I not a film person, cant recall the last one I managed to sit through.If I were to watch a film,I would prefer to watch it in the comfort of my own home.

I'm just a miserable old ***.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Just watched the film review..............

am i getting totally past it ....do i need to be on drugs...or smashed out of my head..............

There are some seriously weird ...strange ...films out now....is this now the new norm....to watch them my brain needs to be re-wired

is anyone with me on this...or is this confirmation that i am now an idiot 

Which films did you have in mind?

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

Which films did you have in mind?

all the films that were on the BBC film review..............just really weird subjects to make films about.........when i want to watch a film ...i want to be entertained....i dont want to be depressed....reminded of our own excistance............

I wait till anything of interest can be watched at home on my computer with headphones on. It's more comfortable. The refreshments are cheaper and better quality too.

Even with my hearing aids in I can't  hear most dialogue on films because of the music at the cinema. I can usually alter the mix at home to hear it better. 

25 minutes ago, ditchman said:

all the films that were on the BBC film review..............just really weird subjects to make films about.........when i want to watch a film ...i want to be entertained....i dont want to be depressed....reminded of our own excistance............

Fair enough. I see what you mean, although I’m not sure if you mean BBC commissioned films or reviews of general release. 
I think the BBC get a bit fixated with ‘meaningful’ or ‘profound’ art house type films, when all a lot of people want is a bit of escapism from the day to day realities of life. To be fair to the beeb, if it’s escapism and entertainment you want then the Hollywood blockbuster is the way to go. 
The BBC commission or buy some very good comedies, but when it comes down to escapism, you may have to look elsewhere. 

I can recommend ‘click and collect’ which was a gently uplifting one off, but a new version of ‘A Christmas Carol’ is said to be very dark, so no light relief there. 

35 minutes ago, Scully said:

Fair enough. I see what you mean, although I’m not sure if you mean BBC commissioned films or reviews of general release. 
I think the BBC get a bit fixated with ‘meaningful’ or ‘profound’ art house type films, when all a lot of people want is a bit of escapism from the day to day realities of life. To be fair to the beeb, if it’s escapism and entertainment you want then the Hollywood blockbuster is the way to go. 
The BBC commission or buy some very good comedies, but when it comes down to escapism, you may have to look elsewhere. 

I can recommend ‘click and collect’ which was a gently uplifting one off, but a new version of ‘A Christmas Carol’ is said to be very dark, so no light relief there. 

think you are quite right 

I'm only in my mid...ok late thirties, but I haven't been able to stick the cinema for quite some time, much to SWMBO's consternation. 

I timed 31 minutes of ads / trailers once and I already had a headache from the unnecessarily loud volume.

I considered seeing Dunkurque in the cinema, but dragged my heels for so long I missed it.  Got a 32" TV, a sofa with a (posterior) groove in just the right place, and the ability to use the pause button as my bladder dictates.  

I must be a (dirty) old man in training.

3 hours ago, bone said:

Nothing has interested me to go to the cinema since The Perfect storm about 19 years ago. 

Anything with Diane Lane in it, is always worth watching😉

Loved the Cinema/pictures as kid but not so much now. My first expedience of the big screen was at a local parish hall and it was Brannigan with John Wayne.

Usually go to children's films with the kids nowadays and enjoy seeing them enjoying it! But like somone else has said the noise,getting the back of your seat kicked and the rattling would get on my nerves too. 

The last film I had interest in and went to see was (Southpaw).

Edited by SuperGoose75

On 20/12/2019 at 18:57, VicW said:

I find that a lot of the modern stuff on TV and the big screen is a meaningless jumble of muttered dialogue, dark pictures and loud, unnecessary, background music.

I intend to start watching the new series, 'Witcher', on Netflix' tonight but expect to be disappointed.

Vic.

I saw that series Witcher advertised and thought it looked good, but we have Amazon, so I'll look for the books😁

Your all doing it wrong,  we went family of four a few weeks ago about £13, go around ten am at the weekend when the weathers bad, same seats third of the price.

We watched Lion king and enjoyed it, all the seats were recliners,  had it been a bad film I'd just have had a kip.

Only thing that bugged me was people leaving their rubbish everywhere as they left. 

And you should be able to throw things at anyone who turns a phone on.

I was dragged screaming to see Cats yesterday by the wife and I can honestly say that I have never seen such a load of old tosh in all my life. Fortunately I fell asleep for most of it, but the bits that I did see were utter carp. How respected actors/actresses such as Ian McKellen and Judi Dench were persuaded to be involved I'll never know.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

I go quite regular with my youngest lad (14) and occasionally the eldest (16) comes as well. We love the experience. One of the last films we all saw together, The Joker, was awesome - to be sat in a full cinema with nobody uttering a sound helps with the atmosphere of the movie. Le Mans 66 I had to turn round to the people behind and tell them to shut up and they were my age and older who seemed to be trying to out brag each other about their racing experiences.

We are big Marvel fans for that pure blockbuster switch brain off and enjoy the ride. We will be going to see the new Star Wars over the festive period - Meerkat Movies - take your own drink and popcorn and it isn't too bad a cost (90% of cinemas now allow you take food as long as it isn't a Sunday dinner :D )

When I worked away a lot I would go one night in the week and ended up seeing some turkeys - but it killed a night and gave a break from staring at 4 walls and a small telly

Went to the cinema last night with my son to see the new Star Wars film,  Not brilliant if I'm honest. Obviously the last film so they had to wrap up the whole story and all the loose ends etc and it all seemed a bit rushed to me.

Also there are furter 51 marvel films due out, sure its 51 could be wrong. Seriously though can they take the Avengers any further?, The Hulk by far the best character is now a professor stupid premise. the hulk smashes things that's what he does, that's all he does. Giving him an IQ to rival stephen hawking is ridiculous.