Honda CRV battery issues.

Westley

Does any other CRV owner have flat battery issues  ?  If I as much as leave an interior light on for more than 20 minutes, the battery is flat the next morning. This is the second CRV that I have had, the previous one being a 2.0L petrol and this one is a 2.2.diesel and both have had battery issues. I do a reasonable mileage each week and not all local running but including some motorway stuff. It is a pain during these short days not to be able to use the interior lights.  Any help/advice gratefully accepted.  According to the last AA man that provided a jump start, it is a common CRV complaint.

Edited by Westley

1 hour ago, washerboy said:

I'm lost why you need an interior light on, besides if you drop something on the floor for 30 seconds. I've never driven with one on, or sat in a car with one on. 

:hmm:So Vehicle manufactures have wasted time and money installing these devices :mad:

Westley, The AA man for once is right it's a problem I think Honda wish would go away.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/crv-battery-drain/

Never had that problem on my CRV.  However, the rear interior light is on a timer and goes off in about 20 secs, not enough time to get your boots off and gear inside. I've put a cheap (<£5) led with PIR sensor on the rear door, stays on all the time there's movement. Link below. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-LED-PIR-Motion-Sensor-LED-Night-Light-Battery-Operated-with-Magnetic-Strip/392447161253?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40733%26meid%3Db38f820ed1d749fc9bfc39b06d8342cb%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D264228273455%26itm%3D392447161253%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

12 hours ago, Westley said:

Does any other CRV owner have flat battery issues  ?  If I as much as leave an interior light on for more than 20 minutes, the battery is flat the next morning. This is the second CRV that I have had, the previous one being a 2.0L petrol and this one is a 2.2.diesel and both have had battery issues. I do a reasonable mileage each week and not all local running but including some motorway stuff. It is a pain during these short days not to be able to use the interior lights.  Any help/advice gratefully accepted.  According to the last AA man that provided a jump start, it is a common CRV complaint.

Try swapping bulbs for led equivalents and check light contacts etc are not corroded.

As led switches on with lower current, if there is a drain they may show it.

I suspect it is something else causing the main issue and the lights are a symptom if some part of the electrics elsewhere causing issue.

i take it battery and alternator have both been checked as failing alt/battery will show up with formerly not noticable drains becoming an issue.

Take the bulbs out of all the interior lights for a week and see if this fixes the problem. Carry a little torch with you. If this fixes the problem you know where it is. (It is probably the delay on the circuit not shutting off the current completely and allowing the battery to bleed energy) This test will tell you if this is the case.

David.

On 20/12/2019 at 21:09, billytheghillie said:

use a torch.

I do...................well, a headlamp anyway   !

Perhaps I can clarify,  going shooting yesterday morning at 6.00am and pitch dark, it is convenient to have the interior lights come on in order to load up the car. At the end of the shoot meal, around 5 ish., it is again convenient to put stuff in car , prior to the drive home. The occasion when I had the interior light on for some 20 minutes, I was hoovering out the front of the vehicle and as such had the doors open, this was enough to cause sufficient battery drain  to prevent the vehicle from starting the next morning. I have partially solved the problem, I have turned off the interior lights and use a head torch. I also hoover out the car through the open windows, just in case I have forgotten to turn off the interior lights. Thanks for the suggestions Guys, I will follow up on the more practical ones. The fact that this has occurred on TWO CRV's prompted me to ask PW members if anyone had suffered a similar problem. 

Edited by Westley

When I bought mine two years ago neither the boot or interior lights were on , when I mentioned it to the chap who service it he said by leaving your boot open it will drain the battery out , I did leave my key in the ignition one night and the battery was totally dead in the morning , not a flicker or any light on , I thought it was a electrical fault but when I rang my chap up he said it sound like a flat battery , after four hours on the charger the lights came back on and a little while later it started , I then went and had a new one fitted and since then it have been fine , although I haven't left the key in the ignition since then . 

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

When I bought mine two years ago neither the boot or interior lights were on , when I mentioned it to the chap who service it he said by leaving your boot open it will drain the battery out , I did leave my key in the ignition one night and the battery was totally dead in the morning , not a flicker or any light on , I thought it was a electrical fault but when I rang my chap up he said it sound like a flat battery , after four hours on the charger the lights came back on and a little while later it started , I then went and had a new one fitted and since then it have been fine , although I haven't left the key in the ignition since then . 

Yes, I learned the hard way with my last one. Having had an X Trail with 4 years trouble free motoring, I swapped it for a 2 years old petrol CRV. After just 2 weeks I was waiting for my Wife to come back from shopping. I was sitting in the vehicle with the radio on for around 30 minutes. When I came to start the vehicle, the battery was totally flat. The warranty included AA cover, so I contacted them to come and get me started. The AA guy commented that it was a common fault on the CRV's, it is only a 65amp/hr battery and nowhere near big enough. When I bought the diesel, I was assured that it had a bigger battery than the petrol model..................WRONG it is the same size. Once again, it is life in the dark. My current CRV has the auto headlights that remain on after you have locked the vehicle and come on when you unlock it. 

On 21/12/2019 at 08:49, FatFreddysCat said:

Never had that problem on my CRV.  However, the rear interior light is on a timer and goes off in about 20 secs, not enough time to get your boots off and gear inside. I've put a cheap (<£5) led with PIR sensor on the rear door, stays on all the time there's movement. Link below. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-LED-PIR-Motion-Sensor-LED-Night-Light-Battery-Operated-with-Magnetic-Strip/392447161253?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40733%26meid%3Db38f820ed1d749fc9bfc39b06d8342cb%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D264228273455%26itm%3D392447161253%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Thanks for that, I shall be getting 2 after the break.