******* Christmas

The Heron

If you like Christmas on your own fine, don't like your Mrs family and rather be on your own fine.

Others who think everyone should be like them or give your money to others or charity let them do that. Me I'll do as I please it's my life to live as I see fit. 

I won't say merry Christmas to one and all as some don't like it. Bah Humbug.

31 minutes ago, figgy said:

If you like Christmas on your own fine, don't like your Mrs family and rather be on your own fine.

Others who think everyone should be like them or give your money to others or charity let them do that. Me I'll do as I please it's my life to live as I see fit. 

I won't say merry Christmas to one and all as some don't like it. Bah Humbug.

Merry Christmas figs 👍

I don't dislike it, it just doesn't motivate me to want to adorn my house with tacky lights and wear a reindeer jumper that lights up. Neither am I in need of anything like socks or shower gel.

Two good things about it, it does generally bring people together and keep in touch but I don't really like all the hype. The Winter solstice was always a time for reflection, huddling close to the fires on cold winter nights. I feel much as they must have done years ago but then they didn't have to watch The Grinch or Elf every year or read about what some TOWIE star is doing for Christmas. 

Myself and my wife always worked the Christmas period and let the others have the day off.....plus we got time and a half.... This Christmas Day I will hopefully be fitting a new set of steps to the back of the gun trailer ready for Saturday but might just arrive at daybreak and kill a few tree rats first off:good:   All to their own, I always wish people I meet with seasonis greetings and my wife always says she celebrates her own birthday which tends to stop the conversation somewhat. 

We’ve just adorned the tree, am sitting in front of a nice warm fire prior to getting ready for a meal out with the in-laws and family, my kids are coming round for a second Christmas dinner on Boxing Day (spending Christmas Day with their Mam ) when OH and I will be making them a second Christmas dinner with all the trimmings, part of which will be a superb starter of Broccoli and Stilton soup I learned the recipe of last week ( I enjoy cooking in general but especially for my kids, as I don’t get to do it as often as I did ) then we’ll slonk on the sofa and spend the rest of the afternoon in flatulent splendour! What’s not to like? 🙂

1 hour ago, Scully said:

We’ve just adorned the tree, am sitting in front of a nice warm fire prior to getting ready for a meal out with the in-laws and family, my kids are coming round for a second Christmas dinner on Boxing Day (spending Christmas Day with their Mam ) when OH and I will be making them a second Christmas dinner with all the trimmings, part of which will be a superb starter of Broccoli and Stilton soup I learned the recipe of last week ( I enjoy cooking in general but especially for my kids, as I don’t get to do it as often as I did ) then we’ll slonk on the sofa and spend the rest of the afternoon in flatulent splendour! What’s not to like? 🙂

Malodorous emanation notwithstanding..:) .. cooking and eating is the highlight for me, that and excitement  my youngest still enjoys..generally its a good idea in my opinion. so happy Christmas all

23 hours ago, The Heron said:

I've just seen an advert on tv for people who are on there own at Christmas well all I can say is lucky ******** I'm sat here unable to have a drink because I have to drive tomorrow to to stay with people I don't want to and all the time being polite I wanted to stay at home with just me and the dog instead I have to put up with all this false festive **** roll on the new year. 

Did Oliver Cromwell start all this?

Slap a smile on (if you have to), and do something for other people. The central message of Christmas is humility and service.

Visit long-lost relatives. The wife’s relatives. Your neighbours. Strangers.

Christmas gives everyone a free pass to make conversation with people they wouldn’t usually touch with a bargepole at any other time of year. Use the opportunity to do something nice, or say something nice, to somebody else. That homeless bloke, that nutter, those awful neighbours, that old dear, even that chav scumbag with the horrible dog. Seriously, buy a couple of bags of Malteasers for 50p or whatever, and be nice for 5 minutes.

It’s a piece of **** to be a better person at Christmas, and if you don’t really mean it, you can go back to keeping yourself to yourself for the rest of the year.

LS

The turkey survived the trip from Saudi to Thailand (still frozen on arrival). Yesterday l got to see the kids perform at the school Christmas show. Mrs R is currently in the kitchen making the cake icing and I'm relaxing in my favorite chair listening to a choir from Hereford cathedral (my kids seem doubtful that at an earlier point in my life I myself actually sang the descant part of Oh Come All Ye Faithful in similar circumstances ). And so on - Christmas as it should be in my book....anyway, I'm being called to assist with the icing. Merry Christmas to everyone!

14 hours ago, islandgun said:

Malodorous emanation notwithstanding.. .. cooking and eating is the highlight for me, that and excitement  my youngest still enjoys..generally its a good idea in my opinion. so happy Christmas all

👍🙂

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

The turkey survived the trip from Saudi to Thailand (still frozen on arrival). Yesterday l got to see the kids perform at the school Christmas show. Mrs R is currently in the kitchen making the cake icing and I'm relaxing in my favorite chair listening to a choir from Hereford cathedral (my kids seem doubtful that at an earlier point in my life I myself actually sang the descant part of Oh Come All Ye Faithful in similar circumstances ). And so on - Christmas as it should be in my book....anyway, I'm being called to assist with the icing. Merry Christmas to everyone!

Sounds great. You too. 👍

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Merry Christmas to you too!

When I was younger, Christmas Eve was one of the big party nights of the year.

But I must be getting old!  Mrs R has gone around to a neighbours to eat the Thai equivalent of a Mongolian barbeque. I'm babysitting the kids who are playing some kind of flight simulator game on the computer. And I'm sitting on my patio looking at the Christmas lights that our opposite neighbor (a Chinese-Thai Christian) puts up every year. On the portable Bluetooth speaker the Classical Radio app is quietly playing an absolutely ethereal 'carol' from the 15th century sung by a solo soprano. The neighbourhood is absolutely quiet and I have a small but very good Scotch in front of me in the cut lead crystal glass that was my late mother's favorite, and I'm smoking a small Cohiba cigar.

And I wouldn't call the King my cousin! 

45 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

When I was younger, Christmas Eve was one of the big party nights of the year.

But I must be getting old!  Mrs R has gone around to a neighbours to eat the Thai equivalent of a Mongolian barbeque. I'm babysitting the kids who are playing some kind of flight simulator game on the computer. And I'm sitting on my patio looking at the Christmas lights that our opposite neighbor (a Chinese-Thai Christian) puts up every year. On the portable Bluetooth speaker the Classical Radio app is quietly playing an absolutely ethereal 'carol' from the 15th century sung by a solo soprano. The neighbourhood is absolutely quiet and I have a small but very good Scotch in front of me in the cut lead crystal glass that was my late mother's favorite, and I'm smoking a small Cohiba cigar.

And I wouldn't call the King my cousin! 

Grand. 🙂

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Grand. 🙂

Thank you Scully, it is. Life would be incomplete and far poorer without these quiet introspective moments. But Mrs R returned a few minutes ago and just now stuck her head outside, intimating that I should finish my drink and join her upstairs (the kids went to bed 30 minutes ago) So I suppose it's probably time to shelve the religious thoughts.....!

A very happy Christmas to you and yours. It's a special time.

On 22/12/2019 at 18:32, The Heron said:

I've just seen an advert on tv for people who are on there own at Christmas well all I can say is lucky ******** I'm sat here unable to have a drink because I have to drive tomorrow to to stay with people I don't want to and all the time being polite I wanted to stay at home with just me and the dog instead I have to put up with all this false festive **** roll on the new year. 

Ho! Ho! Ho! Welcome to the 'Humbug' club. Fortunately, all of this happy-smily-goodwill-to-all rubbish will be all over in another day or two.

Don’t like Christmas adverts? Try not watching them. Don’t like Christmas tat? Try not buying any. Don’t like seeing certain people at Christmas? Try seeing someone else.

There’s some things i don’t like about modern Christmas, so I choose not to engage with them. Others like those aspects of Christmas and fair play to them. I love doing what I want, eating treats and drinking treats.

So I offer a happy Christmas to those that want it. And to those that don’t, perhaps the problem lays with you, not Christmas..

11 hours ago, Retsdon said:

And merry Christmas to you.

(“the descant part”... that’s the really high girly bit, yes? Those priests have a lot to answer for)