Now then, what do you say ???

Poacher

I have a feeling this topic may roll for a little while, so here goes.

It has come to my attention that when out shooting with the local gun club or clay ground i hear numerous variations on the word 'Pull'. Now being a southern educated type, i like to pronouce the word loud and clearly PULL, so that the trapper can hear me and everyone is aware that i'm about to miss again.

But it seems that not everyone is in the same boat when it comes to saying that little word. Some of the examples i heard make me laugh and others make me want to wince.

Now when i say wincing i do actually mean it. To hear a fully grown man standing at the peg with his trusty 12ga, in a state of readiness whos about to blow apart a flying clay in spectacular fashion utter the words 'PEW' in such as feable voice that you'd think the gun was pointing at him makes me want to cringe.

Other exmples would be a chap i shoot with reguarly who just shouts 'YES' (this is before the clay is released, not after he's hit it). And more bizarrely a real 'Cornishman' who just shouts 'WOOF' in a rather gravely voice ? I'm not sure that anyones told him is not Clay Dog Shooting but Pigeon. Also whilst in an international competition (not professionally don't worry) in Italy last year there were many variations from all the different countries. One rather large Italian man just used to grunt the word 'BAH'. Likewise i'm not sure Clay Sheep Shooting is quite right but it does have a certain ring to it.

So the question is what do you say when at the peg/stand and whats the weirdest you've heard ?

I shout pull clear, loud and as an order! I dont think it is important what people say as long as the traper get the idea to relese the trap. IT is more important that the shooters are safe and always a bonus if they burst the clay.

Dave

CLAP - haven't heard that for a while ;)

the best i've heard was at mid wales. A rather stocky welshman was on the 5th peg with four others. All I heard as i got off the bus was: PULL!...bang...PULL!...bang...PULL!...bang.bang...PULL!...bang...BAA!!...bang

very funny at the time, could have been one of those things where you have to be there but there you go ;)

another one is a teacher at the school i go to and when he shoots skeet he does a mix of a bark,. pull and buuuuuh lmao ;)

I tend to stick to a quick sharp PULL! ;)

When competing, particularly in trap disciplines, your 'PULL' can be an effective tool in regaining focus and steadying the nerves. A PULL with a well-pronounced P can sometimes upset the balance as more effort is required to push it out at volume, however it can also be used to release built-up tension. A soft PULL "aaawwwLLLLL" hardly enunciating the P at all can keep the shooter calm and steady prior to a shot.

I did however, hear a DTL shooter the other week calling "****!". Not sure if it helped him or not.

If I'm shooting Sporting or Skeet, I call "Pull", but if I'm shooting above an acoustic release with the gun tightly pre-mounted, (ABT or OT), then I just grunt. :lol:

I remember watching a Yank shooting the British Open Sporting a few years back, I think he expected to see live birds coming out of the traps, as his call was "Let 'em go!!".

Cat.

A few old timers use the 'paaaaawwwwllllll' (in 'amshire type accent) type call, I think AJ Smith was one of them?

The best one is when someone hasn't shot for long time and shouts like hell at the trapper, who is now of course these days is sat right next to him pressing the button on an auto trap :lol:

I used to shoot with a guy (now sadly passed away) who used to go "MEEehhhh" like General Melchit. It was always best to get him to go last on the peg or the temptation to either giggle or try to out MEeehh him would be unbearable. Many a clay would be lost due to a mid swing laughing fit. I think other squads used to be a bit baffled when confronted by us lot, each giving a louder MEEeeh than the last while the rest sniggered like idiots. Funny thing is, he never seemed to twig!

ZB

Personally i just say pull, at dear old lakenheath the person you are shooting with operates the trap via button for you, so you haven't got to shout it at the top of your voice.

Funniest thing i have seen in a while was a couple of weeks back at the weekly skeet competition, when an american who had been in aye-rack (sorry, thats Iraq) for a year, and got his gun out to come shooting. He showed up in flip-flops, light cream shorts, and a white t-shirt (and later complained he was getting dirty and that the broken clays were hitting his feet). When he took the stand for his first shot, he half squatted, moved the gun about in a robot style set of movements (up, left, right, down, right, up and so on) for a few seconds, and then shouted in the highest pitched voice i have heard from a man in a long time "paaaaalllllll"

I nearly wet myself!

Stu

Yeh but I dont go in for the whole FBID fire control orders though! Use grit for pointing out chicks in the pub as well, quite sad realy e.g.

Lads

10m

12 oclock, left of bar

Blond Chick big norks

dont all look now

Dave

Sad? Nah, I heard worst! :lol:

14 years and still these mnemonics pop up from time to time - lads at work were reciting PAWPERSO the other day :lol: I went and hid before they realised I'd forgotten most of it :o

Back on track - some lads shooting Olympic skeet kept saying 'Mark' on certain stands and said it was normal for that disciplin, not sure what that's about. Made no odds to me I still missed more than I hit :P

Back on track - some lads shooting Olympic skeet kept saying 'Mark' on certain stands and said it was normal for that disciplin, not sure what that's about. Made no odds to me I still missed more than I hit :lol:

When I first starting shooting skeet I couldn't understand why, for the second bird all the old blokes were calling "muck" so I asked my friend......he couldn't stop laughing. I blame the Wiltshire accent.

I've shot FITASC with people that call 'Ready' instead of Pull and i've heard various 'grunts' and 'marks' for skeet.