Cabinet stuffing tips..

PPP

18 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Rifle rods!   They are the most amazing thing ever.  I made mine to be magnetic but you can buy them premade. They hold the guns vertical so they take up a very small footprint. NSz4Sqb.jpgqlRcKu4.jpg

Rifle_Rods_before_and_after_picture_long

Above_view_3_-_6_guns_2_web_grande.jpeg?

Cracking idea! I’ve just turned green with envy! 🙂
Just to add to the OP; if you dismantle your guns you could just store the barrels of shotguns in your cabinets, and the remainder of the gun elsewhere, for the time being.

Edited by Scully

12 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Thanks,  is the barrels the only part you have to lock up? 

Well in theory it’s the entire gun, I suppose, but security is the responsibility of the owner, and when out and about guidance is to separate the main parts so the entire gun cannot be stolen. I know the OP isn’t out and about, but as you’ll know,  a BA rifle is useless without its bolt, and a shotgun cannot be used while incomplete. It’s what I’d do in the OP’s position. 
Not even component parts are easy to come by in the UK. 

Edited by Scully

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

Well in theory it’s the entire gun, I suppose, but security is the responsibility of the owner, and when out and about guidance is to separate the main parts so the entire gun cannot be stolen. I know the OP isn’t out and about, but as you’ll know,  a BA rifle is useless without its bolt, and a shotgun cannot be used while incomplete. It’s what I’d do in the OP’s position. 

Oh ok, I was under the impression that the law was the gun has to be locked up including the ammo. 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Just to add to the OP; if you dismantle your guns you could just store the barrels of shotguns in your cabinets, and the remainder of the gun elsewhere, for the time being.

Hi

That’s  a great idea, thanks!

13 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Oh ok, I was under the impression that the law was the gun has to be locked up including the ammo. 

It all depends on types. Shotguns are  more relaxed, gun locked away as Scully said or stripped down and spread about if out and about. Cartridges can pretty much be stored however you like. Firearms have to be locked up and ammunition secured separately. 

20 hours ago, Scully said:

WRONG! If we are talking shotguns it is the action that MUST be stored safely. Barrels can be left outside the cabinet.

18 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Thanks,  is the barrels the only part you have to lock up? 

NO!

17 hours ago, Scully said:

ENTIRE GUN for Rifles, ACTION for Shotguns

17 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Again depends whether we are talking Section 1 or Section 2.

Gun socks are a cheap and easy way to protectt valuable weapons.

There is an element of potential misunderstanding creeping in to this thread.

Fair enough. Isn’t , ‘securely’ open to interpretation and the responsibility of the owner? I know which bit(s) I’d be leaving outside my cabinet.  If staying in accommodation it’s the fore-end which stays in my room, unless there’s room for the action in my luggage and thereby unknown to hotel staff. 
Like I said, in theory the entire gun, but again, I know which bit of the rifle would be going into the hotel with me. Logic has to play a part in this. 

On 22/12/2019 at 21:25, NoBodyImportant said:

Rifle rods! 

These are great, I'm very tempted to give these a go.

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

The law is an ***.....a set of barrels without an action is a pair of tubes! An action without barrels is a lump of steel......neither one without the other, are capable of being used as a gun.............So why should there be a requirement to store them securely?

I always assumed its because you have valid reason to change barrels (different lengths, replaced if ******** etc.) while the action has the serial number on it which is the bit where you prove its the item on your ticket.