Out with the 8 bore

stalker58

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I have a ugartechea sxs ten bore, but hanker after a single eight or ten underlever,  For the few greylags I shoot it would be nice to do it with style, maybe i will part ex a few of my collection if possible

Always nice to use a traditional gun. I also have a William Evans ten bore but short chambered at 2 5/8. Great for geese at short range, over decoys etc but not for the shore. You can just get 1 1/2 oz in a case but with no 3 shot it patterns beautifully. Haven’t shot it for years since I stopped decoying geese inland.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Always nice to use a traditional gun. I also have a William Evans ten bore but short chambered at 2 5/8. Great for geese at short range, over decoys etc but not for the shore. You can just get 1 1/2 oz in a case but with no 3 shot it patterns beautifully. Haven’t shot it for years since I stopped decoying geese inland.

William Evans, Purdey fame ?.. is it a double ? .....1 1/2oz  is the load for my Wild 3 inch 12 bore, 

8 minutes ago, islandgun said:

William Evans, Purdey fame ?.. is it a double ? .....1 1/2oz  is the load for my Wild 3 inch 12 bore, 

Yes double William Evans from Purdeys, gun no 1990 made in 1892. Is was re barrelled in Damascus by GELewis and that must have been turn of the century. I will post a couple of pics when I get the chance.

The double barrelled 8 bore breech loading  hammer gun is  known has a traditional  goose gun  but the muzzle loading gun is more traditional which I preferred . Has most of my fowling was on inland flight lines  I used a  double barrelled  6 bore   with a no makers name and a single  barrel  tube lock by Alfred Clayton  who was gunmaker to Peter Hawker .With the  banning of lead shot these guns are now pensioned off

Feltwad

12 hours ago, Feltwad said:

The double barrelled 8 bore breech loading  hammer gun is  known has a traditional  goose gun  but the muzzle loading gun is more traditional which I preferred . Has most of my fowling was on inland flight lines  I used a  double barrelled  6 bore   with a no makers name and a single  barrel  tube lock by Alfred Clayton  who was gunmaker to Peter Hawker .With the  banning of lead shot these guns are now pensioned off

Feltwad

Have you tried them with bismuth?

17 hours ago, moongeese said:

Moon Flight With The 8-bore

Gordie's river flight 001.JPG

15 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Top result well done my favourite form of shooting is Moon flighting Geese.

I'm liking the sound of Moonflighting, does it differ from an evening into dark flight ? is it dependant on a full moon or tide state ?

41 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I'm liking the sound of Moonflighting, does it differ from an evening into dark flight ? is it dependant on a full moon or tide state ?

Yes very different indeed. Ideally light cloud cover over the moon so the geese are silhouetted against the sky. Good tide and a bit of a blow so they want to move rather than sit it out but not a necessity. Get out a couple of hours before the high and hope you are on the flight line. Too bright a moon and the geese don’t even bother flighting to roost they just stay out all night. I can only claim one exceptional night when decoying a flooded tattie field. They just kept coming and we packed up or it would have been slaughter.

I find it very difficult off the shore but you occasionally get lucky.

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Yep I am still using ITM but bought some bismuth as well

Me too! I load 2 1/4ozs of ITM in front of TK8, I also have a supply of loose Bi (a few Gamebore Factory load Bi!)...and some loose sintered HS too!

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Cream of the sport for me! But it’s advantageous to live close enough to the shooting grounds in order to choose your time and place, and be there under the right conditions.

On 25/12/2019 at 14:34, islandgun said:

I have a ugartechea sxs ten bore, but hanker after a single eight or ten underlever,  For the few greylags I shoot it would be nice to do it with style, maybe i will part ex a few of my collection if possible

It’s great fun, especially with black powder, here’s a pic of my single Tolley

D6C077A7-84D7-4420-BCDF-C7F6D195AA7E.jpeg

On 25/12/2019 at 19:19, moongeese said:

Moon Flight With The 8-bore

Gordie's river flight 001.JPG

👍