Tesco Christmas cards prison labour

Townie

I suppose things like this can be genuine and it seems it has happened before... but....I read this incident on bbc and sky websites yesterday. The young girl who found the card, her father just happens to be some sort of legal adviser on human rights and exploitation. He is quite high powered and advised the government in the past.

When i came to re read the items last night the reference to his job has been removed by sky and the bbc. Why?

What are the chances of a young girl with a human rights dad finding this card?

Maybe its just me being a suspicious type...but something is a bit whiffy about this. JMO....

36 minutes ago, del.gue said:

I suppose things like this can be genuine and it seems it has happened before... but....I read this incident on bbc and sky websites yesterday. The young girl who found the card, her father just happens to be some sort of legal adviser on human rights and exploitation. He is quite high powered and advised the government in the past.

When i came to re read the items last night the reference to his job has been removed by sky and the bbc. Why?

Maybe its just me being a suspicious type...but something is a bit whiffy about this. JMO....

My thoughts ran along similar lines - it all seemed too pat.

The only downside I see to this is that as it’s China, the inmates may be guilty of nothing more than disagreeing with government politics.
I believe the US prison system is one of that country’s largest industries, making everything from number plates to cutlery, and many other things in between. 

11 minutes ago, twenty said:

And picking all the fruit and veg, that (apparently), only eastern Europeans can do.

My aunt and uncle had a fruit farm up until this Sept just gone. Not once did they have to employ foreign staff. Guess it depends on scale and location. But I agree, why should they just be sat doing nothing. Human rights work in the wrong ways. 

Not seen the china issue your talking about but.. in our uk prisons we have many with buildings that package up goods for the whole salers. Hmp Guys Marsh has a workshop and within it are "residents" packaging up air fresheners. Not sure if they get paid for this in any way but id have thought they did.

21 hours ago, panoma1 said:

The idea of convicted criminals contributing to their own detention/upkeep costs via their labour, rather than the taxpayer paying for it from public funds, has a certain irony to it! 

Dreams could be made of this?

16 hours ago, grrclark said:

I'd far rather that Tesco sourced their Christmas cards from the UK.  That is all.

Sadly a few are more interested in  Costa's and procreation here.

On 23/12/2019 at 07:48, del.gue said:

hello, i have to agree on your last paragraph,

My wife bought a pair of boots a few years ago and, tucked down inside the toe, was a hand written note (in chinese) - we thought it was maybe just a QC note that had fallen into the boot but awhile later we asked a friend of my sons to read it and he said that it was from a young girl asking for help as she was being kept in prison and forced to work - she was 12 years old. We assumed it was some kind of practical joke but with the latest news who knows?

16 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

We do. 

From the Govt website........

Working in prison

Many prisoners get the chance to work while carrying out their sentence, eg making clothes and furniture or electrical engineering.

I was suggesting convicted criminals should be compelled to (not given the chance to!) work, not for pay but to offset the cost to the taxpayer of food, upkeep and other facilities and services they receive in prison!.....after all, taxpayers are compelled to contribute to the state, via taxation, out of their work income!........ And still have to pay for theirs!

On 23/12/2019 at 07:48, del.gue said:

I don't recognise this. It could be that the article on Sky and the BBC had got the wrong end of the stick? The message in the card asked for it to be passed on to a human rights activist Peter Humphrys who had been imprisoned in the same camp. Thre girl and her father look to be just randoms.

13 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I was suggesting convicted criminals should be compelled to (not given the chance to!) work, not for pay but to offset the cost to the taxpayer of food, upkeep and other facilities and services they receive in prison!.....after all, taxpayers are compelled to contribute to the state, via taxation, out of their work income!........ And still have to pay for theirs!

Good idea we can cut the wages of everyone else then as we can create a legal black market economy to undercut what should be competing industry. :good:

I would rather prisoners be incentivised into education and rewarded coming out with trades and skills.