Dave Carrie

B725

1 hour ago, bigroomboy said:

I love his videos, they are so well shot and I think he is doing a great service to shooting as his videos are likely to bring a new generation into the sport.

I disagree with your last point, but the videos are pretty good.

Good guy, good videos but won’t bring many kiddies in as the days he’s promoting are guessing nearly £2500/3000 for his big days. Being a multi millionaire he won’t mind but most people it’s out the league. Not digging what he’s doing but most kids I know came in from small farm shoots etc.

Wish he’s come south a bit to Hampshire or Dorset as there’s some fantastic shoots there

Same lads I met recently and took clay shooting watched some of his video's and became very keen to go shooting game... not sure they have seen the cost of the shoots mind. 

People talk about getting the young into shooting, but I don't know many who can afford a big day unless born into big money. 

Some of the lads who are doing wellish may book the odd day on a 100 bird shoot or something, lots of working type lads are in shoot one walk one syndicates etc. I joined a small syndicate this year which was a good day out but half the drives you may not fire a shot which is obviously disappointing. 

Despite that, Carrie's video's are brilliant, they're well made, he's a right character and he shows off the shoots, the rural jobs and creates a romance around the whole tradition of it all.

What's really sad, is that Carrie is doing it, and not the likes of BASC or these other big organisations, who claim to promote shooting, yet I only ever seem them at game fairs etc, preaching to the choir.

Why aren't the likes of BASC trying to get shows like this onto Netflix, Youtube, Mainsteam television?! Netflix hasMeatEater a show entirely about big game hunting... 

Loads of younsters would love to have a go most most could never afford it. Cost a fortune just to have the right attire. On the plus side there are plenty of other ways of shooting thankfully. I am lucky to have access to pigeons, rabbits and even a few duck spots now and me and my mate have just as much if not even more fun

Youngsters should firstly be introduced to some pigeon decoying/flighting, nothing better to hone skills and give great satisfaction with a great shot taken.  As said driven days cost money , lots of it, even a day for 60-70 birds small driven as being offered at Grimsthorpe at the moment are a fiver short of three hundred and start getting over 100 birds and you are talking £500 plus and add another £40 for each bird shot.

Carrie has just got into having a look at shooting the 410, persuaded maybe almost taunted by Richard Gray into having a crack at some partridges in Lincolnshire and he obviously enjoyed the challenge. He has done a bit of pattern testing but I didn't see any penetration results and that is far more important than just getting a good pattern on a layer of paint or some paper.

Shoot a good cartridge and manage or exceed the muzzle velocity required with either #6 or #7 shot and put the bird in the pattern and it will fall out of the sky equaloly as dead as with a 12 gauge.  Folded two pheasants last week at Grimsthorpe at 35 to 40yrds which had been missed by my neighbouring guns. One cock and one hen and both stone dead on the deck.

18grm Fiocchi #6 factory roll turnover.

He's a decent clay shot too. Nice fella to talk to about shooting.

To be honest some of his videos I would  be annoyed if he was shooting birds over top of me or swung his gun through me and the line as he has in some videos. But no doubt the films are well made.

The day he he filmed in Scotland with Muirburn Sporting was £350 a peg.

11 hours ago, dodeer said:

Good guy, good videos but won’t bring many kiddies in as the days he’s promoting are guessing nearly £2500/3000 for his big days. Being a multi millionaire he won’t mind but most people it’s out the league. Not digging what he’s doing but most kids I know came in from small farm shoots etc.

Wish he’s come south a bit to Hampshire or Dorset as there’s some fantastic shoots there

I meet him on a regular basis and his passion and his journey to where he is now means he has covered every aspect of fieldsports from ferreting to where he is now. You spend on any hobby what you can afford. good luck to him he has had a tough upbringing and made good! Was actually born less than 10 miles from my house here in Scotland.

Yes he his a very good clay shot in Sporting and FITASC and I'm sure he was in the recent UK Team (Veterans) at the FITASC World Championship.

Whilst most of the focus is rightly on his shooting ability I do feel that he should also be recognised for his understanding of field sports and what goes into a successful day. I have picked up behind him on one of his filmed days and he certainly emphasised all the effort put in by the rest of of the team including pickers up. He is not just promoting the shooting. 

In my experience many guns just don’t understand what is needed for a good day and the job of beaters, flankers stops etc etc because they have not done it. Starting your sporting life with rough shooting and working through all the aspects of our sport up to a full driven day makes for a far more rounded gun and a pleasanter day for us all. Dare I say it a lot less would be taken for granted and more appreciation given for a stop who has stood out in pouring wind and rain while guns take lunch in the warm and dry!

17 hours ago, captainhastings said:

Loads of younsters would love to have a go most most could never afford it. Cost a fortune just to have the right attire. On the plus side there are plenty of other ways of shooting thankfully. I am lucky to have access to pigeons, rabbits and even a few duck spots now and me and my mate have just as much if not even more fun

The right attire?

you need the right clothes for every hobby it’s part of it 

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

The right attire?

you need the right clothes for every hobby it’s part of it 

True but it isn't expensive if you buy secondhand or even new in the sales. I have a full set of gear that hasn't cost more then £60 either off here or ebay. You also dont have to shoot a lot of birds to enjoy a day either.