Shotgun Renewal with Epilepsy

ttab

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

Can’t help really, but I do know three epileptics who drive, so if their medication can control it to the extent they are fit enough to drive, I can’t see why shooting should be any different? 

My lodger is a nurse at ICU, she had an epileptic man in last week who was driving, had a fit and crash into and killed an elderly woman 😮 frightening stuff. He came out of an induced coma to the Police telling him he'd killed someone. He was distraught. 

Frightening condition to have. 

I was told by my customer that he can drive as he has fits in his sleep . Apparently if he has any day time fits he looses his licence. 
all I know is it’s my big sisters anniversary next month (22 years ) and I miss her like hell . Please keep it monitored/ under control as it’s destroyed our life’s without her. She was just 19 .

people misunderstand it and don’t realise the severity of it. 
it can happen to any of us from things as simple as a bump on the head and is life changing.

i hope you get sorted 👍👍 TT

It's nothing like epilepsy but I have Mieniers (its like visual vertigo). I'm also insulin dependent have sleep Apnoea and lack grip in my hands following a stroke. I walk very slowly with the use of a stick. My HGV was taken off me (obviously) and my ordinary driving licence on annual renewal.

When I came round in hospital after the stroke tubes everywhere, face slack and hardly able to move, the Dr asked me how I was feeling after giving me loads of information like the above.  Because I slobbered "on top of the ******* world" I was also treated for depression. Well how would a "normal" person respond. I thought it an ok answer.

I discussed this with my FEO and the main thing they worry about is:

Are you safe to handle a gun.

If you demonstrate safe handling, by that I mean, you have advance warning of attacks, always shoot with others, and (again obviously) be prepared NOT to shoot if you feel unwell and keep up to date with your meds. In my case a simple blood test prior to shooting/driving then you are fulfilling the requirements for a SGC.

I had to have an independent interview and medical at their expense and then common sense prevails. If you are not at risk to yourself or the public there is no reason why you can't hold a SGC.

It also took an agonising 12 week wait before I was told the FEO would support me.

Good luck with it, I hope you get a sympathetic person to deal with, but full disclosure is the best bet and stress that you apply common sense to your approach to shooting.