Worzel Gummidge

SuperGoose75

Just now, SuperGoose75 said:

Gutted I missed the 1st episode,and was sceptical when I first saw a photo of the new Worzel earlier this year.

Have to say it's funny and quite good although it will never compare to Worzel of old.

BBC1 now!

I agree the Jon Pertwee/Una Stubbs version was brilliant.....but I quite liked the first part of this one too! Recording the second part now!

46 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I agree the Jon Pertwee/Una Stubbs version was brilliant.....but I quite liked the first part of this one too! Recording the second part now!

It was a tough job and big shoes to fill in getting a Worzel character as endearing/loveable  as Mr Pertwee played. I think they did well in that respect.

Loved Worzel Gummidge as a kid with the Crowman,Aunt Sally ect..! The sound of the rooks in the field is a country sound that I love.

Edited by SuperGoose75

29 minutes ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Yeah, caught that near the end! Obviously an Anti input. The message they portrayed was fair enough but the (Red Coat) comment spoiled it.

Didn’t need to mention cruelty that was a subjective and unnecessary comment. All it needed was to say fox hunting has stopped and stick with the facts!

7 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Didn’t need to mention cruelty that was a subjective and unnecessary comment. All it needed was to say fox hunting has stopped and stick with the facts!

Totally agree. I don't think they needed to mention Fox hunting at all. What I meant was the message they portrayed about the Bee's and general changes that have taken place in the countryside. 

Mackenzie looked like he had taken his scarecrow from pirates of the Caribbean. He did ok writing and directing it.

Was quite funny in parts but nothing compares to John Pertwee Una Stubbs Babs Windsor and Charlotte Coleman and having catweasel as the crowman.

Both my wife and I said typical BBC with fox hunting and climate change, putting this in teatime early evening programs is not on.

Edited by figgy

13 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Gutted I missed the 1st episode,and was sceptical when I first saw a photo of the new Worzel earlier this year.

Have to say it's funny and quite good although it will never compare to Worzel of old.

BBC1 now!

Don’t worry! You’ll get plenty more chances! The BBC will repeat it every Christmas ad infinitum! 🤪

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, Christmas entertainment on TV this year has be abysmal, even those repeat/cartoons type films for young children, or perhaps i am getting to cynical in my old age

I think your right and it must be in part due to the availability of on demand viewing. We watched some great films, Manchester by the Sea and Thelma. My wife also watched something about Kylie in a taxi with randoms that she said was hilarious. 

Edited by oowee

13 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

It was a tough job and big shoes to fill in getting a Worzel character as endearing/loveable  as Mr Pertwee played. I think they did well in that respect.

Loved Worzel Gummidge as a kid with the Crowman,Aunt Sally ect..! The sound of the rooks in the field is a country sound that I love.

I said exactly the same to my 16 year old daughter a couple of days ago. That sound is one I indentify with as a child. Funny how sounds and smells can take you right back to that childhood feeling. My daughter enjoyed the original series when she was younger after buying the DVD for her several years back. I haven't seen this remake yet but I'll give it a view at some point.

Being old enough to have watched the original as a child, I honestly thought it wouldn’t be up to the mark. I watched both episodes with my little girl who is now the same age as I was when I watched the original. She was captivated by it and I think he did a good job of putting over the environmental message without ruining the programme. I have also read the books to my daughter and this version is closer to the books than Pertwee version. I did pick up on the fox hunting comments at the end

16 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Living near a hunt the view of cruelty is massively subjective, I fully agree.

On 28/12/2019 at 12:49, Taileron said:

Being old enough to have watched the original as a child, I honestly thought it wouldn’t be up to the mark. I watched both episodes with my little girl who is now the same age as I was when I watched the original. She was captivated by it and I think he did a good job of putting over the environmental message without ruining the programme. I have also read the books to my daughter and this version is closer to the books than Pertwee version. I did pick up on the fox hunting comments at the end

Living near a hunt the view of cruelty is massively subjective, I fully agree.

hello, did you watch the original on U tube with your daughter ? would be interesting to get her views

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, did you watch the original on U tube with your daughter ? would be interesting to get her views

Strangely enough we were looking for it on amazon prime this morning, couldn’t find it. Didn’t know you could stream full episodes From YouTube, thanks for the steer on that, my tv has an app, I will give it a go tonight and see what she thinks.

On 28/12/2019 at 10:27, BinaryB said:

I said exactly the same to my 16 year old daughter a couple of days ago. That sound is one I indentify with as a child. Funny how sounds and smells can take you right back to that childhood feeling. My daughter enjoyed the original series when she was younger after buying the DVD for her several years back. I haven't seen this remake yet but I'll give it a view at some point.

That most defiently is the case!

The new one is well worth a watch and is having quite a positive reaction online.