The versatile gundog

WalkedUp

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, oowee said:

Cracking pictures. :good:

I would not let my dog touch a fox for fear of mange. 

Good point, not something I had really considered before - they’ve picked quite a few over the years but best to be more careful in future. 

4 minutes ago, Manish said:

LOVE that second pic. Smart dogs

Yes I love the grouse moors too, have a few pictures but not many despite having spent so much time on them over the years! I suppose never enough hands and don’t like to stop and take pictures when other people are waiting for me. HPRs are the best dogs for the moor IMO, but I’m biased 😂

As I say, they can be beautiful but they can be beasts. They live indoors during the night and are kennelled outdoors during the day. I take them everywhere with me and they will sit like statues in the office, the park, beach or pub.. consequently they get lots of attention but I have to tell their admirers that working breeds do not make good pets.

Edited by WalkedUp

6 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Beautiful dogs I’ve never seen that breed working  out in the field so great photos 👍👍👍👍

They are not the easiest to work, but a good one is the best dog you could ever dream of. We have had two fantastic shoots in the last week. Shooting rabbits and birds from point, tracking runners 100s meters, blind retrieves etc... The breed have a reputation for being hard mouthed, but as you can see from the pictures (bird heads up) mine am don’t seem to be at all that way.

Presumably some are hard mouthed due to selective pressure from the German heritage (mine are from mixed nationality matings) of using the HPR breeds to kill foxes etc. I will send some old articles if I get chance, in working tests they were put in a pen with a fox or feral cat and expected to kill it without hesitation. 

Edited by WalkedUp

3 hours ago, m greeny said:

Christ them pheasants must double hard as there's only one dead

Guilty. Most likely bad shooting by me, but I’ll hide behind the fact that we do tend to get sent for runners when picking up. 

5 hours ago, Archie-fox said:

My Vizsla Indiana is a very useful dog, great on deer and flushing game, retrieving isn’t his strong point but as a general dog he’s ace..

8C333050-67F8-435D-8B78-701208BF9904.jpeg

Beautiful dog, I’ve never tracked or worked mine on deer but would love too if we had lived in a more wooded area. I’ve a .308 but barely use it! 

Nice viz and yes they are brilliant at tracking shot deer and in all things never tell you lies.  They are very different from other breeds and you must be sure to have long discussions with long term viz owner/s before deciding to have one.  One of the main reasons the Society has so many to re home.

Viszlas are beautiful, in my experience they can be much more sensitive than the other HPR breeds (WHV are a different beast mind). They clash with my hair colour so I could never own one 😢

I believe a Vizsla won Croft’s ~ 12 years ago and set off a tidal wave of them going to none working homes. All HPRs are ill suited to a sedentary life.

Again, if you are coming from a Labrador side it will be a surprise. They are often less hard nosed about wanting to pick up, my friends who fly hawks say Vizslas are the best dog to point and flush for the bird. Retrieving doesn’t matter in these circumstances. 

Edited by WalkedUp

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2020 at 23:49, WalkedUp said:

As I say, they can be beautiful but they can be beasts. They live indoors during the night and are kennelled outdoors during the day. I take them everywhere with me and they will sit like statues in the office, the park, beach or pub.. consequently they get lots of attention but I have to tell their admirers that working breeds do not make good pets.

Why don't they make good pets mate? 

Because they want to work, they need mental stimulation.

Mine are very placid but that is because they know they are getting out each week and training when we can too. You see so many highly strung dogs from working breeds being kept as pets. Even my son aged 4 can appreciate that distinction for himself, when he was discussing pets for his homework he said to me “Daddy, our dogs aren’t pets are they. They work with you when you go shooting.”

Stunning dogs, what breeding are they? Lost my  weimy (from seriva line)suddenly last year, and never forget the effort she put into working and doing anything she could to please. Got a gwp now only 7 month old so early days but cant wait to shoot over her.

20141228_135801-1-EFFECTS.jpg

Edited by shootthepigeon
Photo added hopefully

• 9 months later...