The versatile gundog

WalkedUp

The old boy appears to be dying and so his apprentice has to take over. She was fantastic on the shoot yesterday, traking the scent of a shot hen bird for over a hundred meters, losing the trail, going back finding the trail, losing it in the same spot and then dragging the bird out of a rabbit hole under a fall wood pile. On the marsh today she pulled off two great retrieves, a shoveler in the strong current and a very long mallard across a big channel.  I will upload the mallard retrieve video. 

6BA97709-95DE-4F34-B10C-F8382D9B8AD4.jpeg

5C940311-597E-4A12-BD73-A89CB0757DBF.jpeg

0843C852-0CFD-4118-8E04-195E1C6E47CA.jpeg

C3D77A27-BFD4-417A-B059-A2A15A4C4E5F.jpeg

AB0AAD39-49A8-429E-AFAF-8F089E7B5D99.jpeg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/01/2022 at 13:36, WalkedUp said:

The old boy appears to be dying and so his apprentice has to take over. She was fantastic on the shoot yesterday, traking the scent of a shot hen bird for over a hundred meters, losing the trail, going back finding the trail, losing it in the same spot and then dragging the bird out of a rabbit hole under a fall wood pile. On the marsh today she pulled off two great retrieves, a shoveler in the strong current and a very long mallard across a big channel.  I will upload the mallard retrieve video. 

6BA97709-95DE-4F34-B10C-F8382D9B8AD4.jpeg

5C940311-597E-4A12-BD73-A89CB0757DBF.jpeg

0843C852-0CFD-4118-8E04-195E1C6E47CA.jpeg

C3D77A27-BFD4-417A-B059-A2A15A4C4E5F.jpeg

AB0AAD39-49A8-429E-AFAF-8F089E7B5D99.jpeg

Very well done to the apprentice, good pictures too 👍 

Thank you for the kind messages. A few from the syndicate today. We are not in a shoot catchment, an island in the hills, but our syndicate works out at just £25 per shoot day. I certainly had my value for money today, I shot 6 pheasant (two of which were shared), a woodcock, a woodpigeon and a crow. No where near my PB on that shoot which when I accounted for 14 head of game (again at £25). Who says shooting is a rich man’s sport?

65869AD0-80A7-4883-8FB2-4424A13769FB.jpeg

1C2216B5-A52E-48C2-AFB5-C3DB1A90C41B.jpeg

8C18C35F-045F-4C27-B859-5C232F63A576.jpeg

8DB21DF9-845A-4C68-81D6-3EBC98073E14.jpeg

EBF60A7D-261D-464B-8D87-525E9D53A166.jpeg

A70DDBA7-0630-42C2-A6F4-D679DE38BB24.jpeg

Edited by WalkedUp

Walked up what a wonderful write up and most wonderful photos of you shooting buddy!

been out with my sprocker today she has done me proud picked 3 birds that were downed ‘unknown’ I feel I have started to read her. Yes she’s a mischievous little minx but three times today I have whistled her back and she’s given me a look to say it’s here dad I just need a bit more time …. Please let me hunt . The cock was huge shot 3 drives away my shooting buddy’s said it was hit hard and high! And placed it in an approximate area ! So when the day was done and we were walk back and could not upset anyone we worked the  flight line from 2-3 hours earlier. She was knackered from a hard cold day. I just kept the words of encouragement and got the feeling she was onto something! she dragged it out of hard bramble cover hooking up under the lower branches of a couple of holly bushes. Not a retrieve to hand and she dragged it out and pinned it and gave me a look of I have done my bit dad please help !

to sum up text book retrieve not close. Proud dad retrieve yes ! Yes  ! YES. 

I know she gets cases of spaniel ears but today I will take three positive retrieves and a trust to read my mate and work as a team !

ps I shot 2 cartridges all day and had a pearler and had a 50% hit ratio

Agriv8 

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

Walked up what a wonderful write up and most wonderful photos of you shooting buddy!

been out with my sprocker today she has done me proud picked 3 birds that were downed ‘unknown’ I feel I have started to read her. Yes she’s a mischievous little minx but three times today I have whistled her back and she’s given me a look to say it’s here dad I just need a bit more time …. Please let me hunt . The cock was huge shot 3 drives away my shooting buddy’s said it was hit hard and high! And placed it in an approximate area ! So when the day was done and we were walk back and could not upset anyone we worked the  flight line from 2-3 hours earlier. She was knackered from a hard cold day. I just kept the words of encouragement and got the feeling she was onto something! she dragged it out of hard bramble cover hooking up under the lower branches of a couple of holly bushes. Not a retrieve to hand and she dragged it out and pinned it and gave me a look of I have done my bit dad please help !

to sum up text book retrieve not close. Proud dad retrieve yes ! Yes  ! YES. 

I know she gets cases of spaniel ears but today I will take three positive retrieves and a trust to read my mate and work as a team !

ps I shot 2 cartridges all day and had a pearler and had a 50% hit ratio

Agriv8 

Sounds like a great day, well done little sprocker with the pricked bird. We could do with a  sprocker or cocker on our shoot, some very thick cover to get through which my dogs get tangled in. 

• 1 month later...

I have probably kept him a couple of weeks too long but feel that he can’t continue. Will phone the vet tomorrow and book him in. He’s lost weight and his hip appears dislocated as his leg is floppy and dragging.

He appears to be in no pain when laid down but struggling to get up. He’s seen plenty of action and worked hard for his entire life. I had hoped to give him more of a retirement but his body appears to be failing him. 

902D702F-F6D3-43B3-AC38-75E4EBDA66E9.jpeg

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

He’s seen plenty of action and worked hard for his entire life.

Very sorry to hear that WalkedUp. 

What I've quoted above is the most important part. He's had a life doing what he was bred for and has probably loved every second of it. For a working dog there is no better way.

3 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I have probably kept him a couple of weeks too long but feel that he can’t continue. Will phone the vet tomorrow and book him in. He’s lost weight and his hip appears dislocated as his leg is floppy and dragging.

He appears to be in no pain when laid down but struggling to get up. He’s seen plenty of action and worked hard for his entire life. I had hoped to give him more of a retirement but his body appears to be failing him. 

902D702F-F6D3-43B3-AC38-75E4EBDA66E9.jpeg

I’m so sorry mate 😢

Thank you for the kind messages. Vet can’t do it until next Tuesday! I thought it would be today given the circumstances, but as he’s not in pain it isn’t an emergency.

Took him to work to say goodbye to the guys. Was a lot of effort for both of us as he needed to be carried and must still be over 30kg. The nearest park is 5 mins away, with wee breaks every 3hrs as his prostate is gone it was a long old day. A cabbie offered me a lift for him which was decent. 

• 1 month later...

We went crow shooting this morning, been out at least twice a week for the last few weeks. This crow was a long shot as it saw me before I saw it and so I only got enough on it to clip it. Came down but made it to the far hedge, no struggle for K Dog. She knows how to pick them now. It used to be a job for the old dog as she would carelessly let them peck her eyes, flap about or crunch them. 

Then it was off to a barbecue at my father’s and supervising the egg rolling. She’s carrying a bit of off-season weight but still is fitter than most. 

8DB781DC-413C-4006-A7FA-9B44E13D6F97.jpeg

Walked up lovely to watch ! And what a beautiful afternoon it looked to be ! my spaniel has a tendency  to pickup wounded not very well as tendency to grab a wing / tail but we will get there I am sure 

was playing with the dummy  in the park drop and walk on ( then let her go back for the retrieve ) around some rabbit holes that have been too much of a distraction previously!

on the third repeat down the path she was 5 yards off the dummy ! Her head darts to to left and picks something and starts trotting back with arnt i a clever dog face !

Anyway given to hand on command ( though she is still persisting in a bit too much pacing around showing off )

not shure it’s going to feed the family but returned to me so taking it as a positive retrieve!

Agriv8

5D56B1CB-4079-49D8-9203-BC2DD837FAE7.jpeg

1 minute ago, Agriv8 said:

Walked up lovely to watch ! And what a beautiful afternoon it looked to be ! my spaniel has a tendency  to pickup wounded not very well as tendency to grab a wing / tail but we will get there I am sure 

was playing with the dummy  in the park drop and walk on ( then let her go back for the retrieve ) around some rabbit holes that have been too much of a distraction previously!

on the third repeat down the path she was 5 yards off the dummy ! Her head darts to to left and picks something and starts trotting back with arnt i a clever dog face !

Anyway given to hand on command ( though she is still persisting in a bit too much pacing around showing off )

not shure it’s going to feed the family but returned to me so taking it as a positive retrieve!

Agriv8

Ps it was dead ( she isn’t that fast)!

On 18/04/2022 at 19:00, WalkedUp said:

We went crow shooting this morning, been out at least twice a week for the last few weeks. This crow was a long shot as it saw me before I saw it and so I only got enough on it to clip it. Came down but made it to the far hedge, no struggle for K Dog. She knows how to pick them now. It used to be a job for the old dog as she would carelessly let them peck her eyes, flap about or crunch them. 

Your dog seem experienced in picking the crows up but did your dog suffer any injuries gaining that experience? They have awful beaks. Good video by the way 👏 

On 23/04/2022 at 12:12, Agriv8 said:

Agriv8

Ps it was dead ( she isn’t that fast)!

Poor little blue tit but at least she hunted it up and found the little mite’s body 👍

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Your dog seem experienced in picking the crows up but did your dog suffer any injuries gaining that experience? They have awful beaks. Good video by the way 👏 

No injuries, but she would drop them and run back if they went for her. The big dog would be sent, his style was to bulldoze winged crows at full pace and then pick them over the wings whilst they were dazed. It is not recommended to let your dog pick crows but you have to decide what is right for you and your dogs.

18 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Poor little blue tit but at least she hunted it up and found the little mite’s body 👍

No injuries, but she would drop them and run back if they went for her. The big dog would be sent, his style was to bulldoze winged crows at full pace and then pick them over the wings whilst they were dazed. It is not recommended to let your dog pick crows but you have to decide what is right for you and your dogs.

Yes I had a gsp 40 odd years ago that hardly took any training and would bring anything back. I'm sorely tempted to get another. It's the crying and howling at night that puts me off.

4 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Yes I had a gsp 40 odd years ago that hardly took any training and would bring anything back. I'm sorely tempted to get another. It's the crying and howling at night that puts me off.

I wouldn’t accept my dogs making a peep at any point, day or night! Maybe I’ve been lucky but we’ve always treated puppies as we wish for them to behave as dogs so that may be part of it too. My neighbour’s little mutt on the other hand... crikey it doesn’t stop. I’ve offered him a solution for 17p but he’s not keen, ah well his problem fortunately not mine!

16 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I wouldn’t accept my dogs making a peep at any point, day or night! Maybe I’ve been lucky but we’ve always treated puppies as we wish for them to behave as dogs so that may be part of it too. My neighbour’s little mutt on the other hand... crikey it doesn’t stop. I’ve offered him a solution for 17p but he’s not keen, ah well his problem fortunately not mine!

Out of curiosity what steps would you take to stop a puppy crying/howling in the kitchen when you are in bed?

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Out of curiosity what steps would you take to stop a puppy crying/howling in the kitchen when you are in bed?

A new pup shouldn't be abandoned the first few nights in a strange house, cold, alone, strange noises and smells are a recipe for crying\howling.

Ideally, you sleep in the kitchen for a few nights, using a hot water bottle in the bottom of puppies bed for substitute heat (which sleeping puppies share) until it gets into the routine, then move to a hot water bottle alone, with you in your bed and then you can leave puppy completely on its own, at about 12 weeks.

Not guaranteed, but goes a long way towards settling a lone dog into family routine.

2 hours ago, Stonepark said:

A new pup shouldn't be abandoned the first few nights in a strange house, cold, alone, strange noises and smells are a recipe for crying\howling.

Ideally, you sleep in the kitchen for a few nights, using a hot water bottle in the bottom of puppies bed for substitute heat (which sleeping puppies share) until it gets into the routine, then move to a hot water bottle alone, with you in your bed and then you can leave puppy completely on its own, at about 12 weeks.

Not guaranteed, but goes a long way towards settling a lone dog into family routine.

I have to admit I'd never even thought of doing that.

7 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I largely agree with Stonepark. It has been a very long time since we only had a pup without an older, trained dog for companionship etc. When we last had just a pup we were very young and my wife slept in the same room as the pup’s crate the first night, second night in the hall with door open. Third to tenth night in the hall with the door closed over. Alarm set to wake up in the night for the pup’s wee. Try to take steps that help avoid failure rather than cause confrontation. 

• 2 weeks later...