SGC enquiry

Tasmin

Hii I’m new to all of this so I might be talking stupid 😂

Basically I’ve always been into thought of clay pigeon shooting, range shooting and being apart of a gun club for quiet a few years now.

im looking at applying for my shot gun Certificate to start me off and I have a few questions.

In 2016 i gave birth to my daughter, 2 weeks after the birth I was put on anti depressants, I’ve not had these for about a year now, I’ve never been suicidal or classed as a risk to the public, after doing a bit of research I’m having mixed reviews and if I’m honest it’s confusing me a little. I’d be absolutely gutted if something as little as a previous health problem would ruin my chances of a new hobby.

Im also worried because I’m 24 years old I have a few tattoos and a nose ring, now someone on the forum from a previous post said they may look at you as a non responsible person, I have a sleeve, a hand tattoo and my fingers tattooed and again I’d be mortified if that would stop it??

So yes I’m basically asking for your views on the matter 😊

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum.

With the depression I guess it would come down to your force, if you've been clear of them for a year I'd think they'd have to come up with a pretty good reason not to grant you your SGC. There's plenty of folk about who've suffered in the past but hold one now.

With regards to tattoos, I don't think an feo would of told Ben Husthwaite he couldn't have a ticket because of he's sleeves 😂

Best of luck with your application.

Post natal depression would not in my opinion be a reason to refuse you, especially as it has now been resolved! There is also a element of gender equality involved, and the authorities are very sensitive to accusations of inequality! It’s non PC! Lol!

The tattoos will not be an issue....as having tattoos, in this day and age are commonplace throughout society!

If you can? Get someone with experience to help you fill in the application.....

im sure you’ll be fine....just go for it!

oh and it may be worth exploring membership and/or contacting BASC.....they advise and help members should their application be refused?

Edited by panoma1

Aww thanks Panama for the reply, this has definitely put my mind at ease!!  My mum and dad are certificate holders for shot guns and firearms so I’ll ask them for there help 

well to be fair the tattoos didn’t even cross my mind until I came across a post on here and someone called Ian said don’t worry about being passed aslong as you don’t have tattoos, nose rings and knifes around there you’ll be passed, and I was like **** I have a septum ring and tattoos 😂😂

My other question is roughly how long does the process take and what’s people thoughts on a semi automatic rifle??

Edited by Tasmin

Yes I suppose I could, yes my mam and dad used to shoot.they still have there shot gun certificate  but they used to have there firearms too. They was really into it, they had land to shoot on and was full members of a club which I’m after joining at the beginning of January.

In my opinion you have nothing to worry about. Apply, wait the few weeks it takes for your local force to do the paperwork. Then go out shopping (the best part by far is the buying) absolutely nothing wrong with a semi auto if that's what YOU want. 

Tatoos and pricings have nothing to do with the application. Like has been said, a leading shotgun coach is covered in ink. 

Main thing is, get the certificate applied for and then once its on the floor through the post go and enjoy a day of clays with your new gun... 

Tasmin

Welcome to PW.

Can I suggest before you submit an application for your SGC, go to a local club on a Sunday morning, speak to the organiser and ask to actually have a go.

It might cost a couple of quid, but at least you would know whether it is something you would wish to continue with.

Good luck

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Tasmin

Welcome to PW.

Can I suggest before you submit an application for your SGC, go to a local club on a Sunday morning, speak to the organiser and ask to actually have a go.

It might cost a couple of quid, but at least you would know whether it is something you would wish to continue with.

Good luck

I second that, most clay clubs will have club guns and possibly you could start thinking about which type of  shot gun suits you if your local club has  different types then try as many as you can before deciding. Also the club may have an instructor who could guide you with fit and such, any investment at this early stage could well save purchasing errors later! Good luck and enjoy your shooting, I think you will find that most club members will welcome you and offer all sorts of free advice!

Wow thanks for the advice everyone!! I literally can’t believe how much support I’ve had in here!!!

Well I went to North Humberside gun club yesterday to look at booking a clay shooting course, which I’ll be booking after the new year. He said basically it’s a course that’s 1-2-1 and I’ll have a few hours with him but he said after that course I should be hitting the clay with out doubt so fingers crossed I’m not **** at it haha 😂 

but yes can’t thank you all enough it for getting back to me on it 😊