SGC enquiry

Tasmin

He asked what I was planning on doing with the guns, where I was going to put the cabinet and keep my carts, what my relationship was like with my ex ( she assulted me and it went to court, even though I wasn't the one on trial 😂

Just an general chit chat about firearm safety etc, he was a nice enough bloke.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don’t let any of this worry you , it’s not a quiz or an interview , it really is a sit down with a cuppa and a talk , why you want one , your use of it , where will it be kept , are you in a shooting club , and for you to ask him any questions they will know all they need to by talking to you they are not there to catch you out , be yourself and be honest , I can still remember mine and I was worrying about it for ages ! The guy couldn’t have been nicer and the different feo ‘s who have been since on the renewals were great , put in for it the only time I’ve heard of refusals is if you had a police record with serious crimes on it , a record of violence or currently being treated as a manic depressive , 

oh really?? Did she get convicted of it because apparently they not aloud to bring stuff up if it wasn’t a conviction are they?? 

I hope mine goes as smoothly 😂😂

1 minute ago, spurs 14 said:

Please don’t let any of this worry you , it’s not a quiz or an interview , it really is a sit down with a cuppa and a talk , why you want one , your use of it , where will it be kept , are you in a shooting club , and for you to ask him any questions they will know all they need to by talking to you they are not there to catch you out , be yourself and be honest , I can still remember mine and I was worrying about it for ages ! The guy couldn’t have been nicer and the different feo ‘s who have been since on the renewals were great , put in for it the only time I’ve heard of refusals is if you had a police record with serious crimes on it , a record of violence or currently being treated as a manic depressive , 

I’m going to try and not let it worry me like you say because I really do over think stuff like this and I’m treating it like it’s a test when really I should just be me shouldn’t I 

The police will want to know that if you get your certificate that you won't be a threat to yourself or others. To yourself means that you aren't likely to harm yourself with it. To others, means that you're not going to shoot someone intentionally or accidentally through negligence. Go to a club, get your basic handling and safety training so you can demonstrate that you are safe, knowledgeable and know about gun handling. 

Make sure you and you only have access to cabinet keys (there has been revocations before as partners or family members have had access to cabinet keys and they wherent certificate holders).

Above all, be honest. Always be safe and be seen to be safe and you will be fine. And it's great getting advice here and generally it's good advice but if you ever need to know legalities beyond doubt, your FEO will be the best person to ask

9 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

Really !!!!!

Yeah I think so. There's a wealth of knowledge here which I've tapped into many times and am very grateful for but end of the day, it's an internet forum and if you're new to the game, there's always the chance that info you may be given is wrong. 

I should clarify, any advice on legalities with licensing should be clarified through your local licensing branch preferably by email or written anyway. That way you're covered. Rather than take advice from internet strangers as gospel. I appreciate that a lot of FEOs aren't that knowledgeable about shooting but they should be able to give guidance on the law to keep yourself right

1 hour ago, Tasmin said:

What sort of questions do they ask when they come to your house then??

You medical history will obviously come up, as well as what others have said.

You will probably be required to get a letter sent to the FET (firearms enquiry team) from your GP given your medical past which you would have declared. Some forces are requesting this a standard now anyway.

If you are honest on the application then you have nothing to hide. Be truthful and all should be ok.

Good luck, get the application in, some of the grant time are horrendous

Well my partner will know where the fines  are as we are both putting in for our certificates at the same time but other than that know one will know. I’ve never been classed as a harm to me or anyone else, I just literally gave birth to my daughter and if I’m honest it was all a little shock to the system even though she was planned so I went to doctors and they was the ones who put me on the anti depressants. I’ve not had these in nearly a year now so I’m hoping this will look good on me. I’m also going to joins BASC just to cover my **** aswell 😂😂

1 hour ago, Tasmin said:

Well my partner will know where the fines  are as we are both putting in for our certificates at the same time but other than that know one will know. I’ve never been classed as a harm to me or anyone else, I just literally gave birth to my daughter and if I’m honest it was all a little shock to the system even though she was planned so I went to doctors and they was the ones who put me on the anti depressants. I’ve not had these in nearly a year now so I’m hoping this will look good on me. I’m also going to joins BASC just to cover my **** aswell 😂😂

Join BASC .  We live in uncertain times at the moment, and BASC can give you advice on anything you might need to know.

I will say this for what its worth. This past year or two  many police forces seem to be getting overly pedantic with licensing, i know a few who have been on the receiving end of this trend in behaviour  it seems you hear more and more of this these days.

Yes and it just shouldn’t be like that, most crimes involving guns today is the people who own illegal guns, but yet they can’t see past that and I suppose in a way you can’t blame them for thinking that way because how some people are today it’s beyond the joke. The most unthinkable things happen now but that doesn’t mean we should all be tied in with the same brush just because you get some sick people out there doesn’t mean everyone wants a gun for the same intentions. 

4 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

And it's great getting advice here and generally it's good advice but if you ever need to know legalities beyond doubt, your FEO will be the best person to ask

Crikey they must be different over your way. They would be the last people I would ask for anything other than an application. From what I see most of them make up stuff as they go along. :lol:

25 minutes ago, oowee said:

Crikey they must be different over your way. They would be the last people I would ask for anything other than an application. From what I see most of them make up stuff as they go along. :lol:

Got to agree with this. Seeing how my licence is half open half restricted due to my round count is low.. Not accepting that I don't take a shot unless I am 110% happy with it. I'd not ask them much. Apart from why is my variation taking 13weeks when I put it in.

Not wanting to hyjack Tasmins thread here, but a question now a simple yes or no would suffice. .

Way i see it after Hamilton, we had a flurry of activity from the police, but then it seemed to settle down, and even trough the dereck bird murders and after we had a eliment of common sense coming from the police and the likes of cammeron. But come Atherton and those women up peterlee its gone rapidly wrong fast, starting in Durham/ Kent forces but now some other authorities.

That is kind of how i see this, is it a yes or no. or more complex. ?

9 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Not wanting to hyjack Tasmins thread here, but a question now a simple yes or no would suffice. .

Way i see it after Hamilton, we had a flurry of activity from the police, but then it seemed to settle down, and even trough the dereck bird murders and after we had a eliment of common sense coming from the police and the likes of cammeron. But come Atherton and those women up peterlee its gone rapidly wrong fast, starting in Durham/ Kent forces but now some other authorities.

That is kind of how i see this, is it a yes or no. or more complex. ?

It started with Ryan in Hungerford! Since then there have been several shooting incidents, mainly I believe, attributable to police failures?......for which the shooting community is being systematically punished, firstly by government knee jerk legislation, then in order to deflect responsibility and avoid accountability from police past failures!..... which has lead us to where we are now!

7 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

It started with Ryan in Hungerford! Since then there have been several shooting incidents, mainly I believe, attributable to police failures?......for which the shooting community is being systematically punished, firstly by government knee jerk legislation, then in order to deflect responsibility and avoid accountability from police past failures!..... which has lead us to where we are now!

Yes, that sums the situation up quite succinctly!:good: