3 drowned in Spanish pool

harrycatcat1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7831245/Mother-children-husband-drowned-Costa-Del-Sol-hotel-claims-deaths-suspicious.html

I don't know why but this does seem a little suspicious as I can't see how three healthly swimmers can drown in a swimming pool.  It's not the sea with tides and undercurrents. 

Just my opinion, what do you think?

1 hour ago, del.gue said:

I heard a report that a security guard who went in to help could not get out of the pool, apparantly he was shivering so much... so it could be that cold played a part. 

Whatever happened it is sad.

hello, interesting, would it have been a heated pool? or  maybe something wrong with the maintenance, i feel that the hotel and spanish police are with holding information as this can effect the hotels future bookings 

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

i am amazed at it as well...............the only thing i can think of is 

1. they had just eaten and had full stomachs
  2. electrocuted by the low voltage pool light
  3. concentration of cholide gas at the surface

Back in the sixties I saw a documentary about submarine escape testing methods using the Naval 100ft deep water tank.  As an example they asked two men one black the other white to jump into the tank and not to move a muscle ...first in was the white chap ... He bobbed up and down bellow the surface. .... next the black chap. ... He sank like a stone.  They concluded  or thought that this was because of heavier bone mass.  Maybe this is why we don't see many Olympic Swimmers. However I believe that this father ( God love him ) was a non swimmer.

24 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

Back in the sixties I saw a documentary about submarine escape testing methods using the Naval 100ft deep water tank.  As an example they asked two men one black the other white to jump into the tank and not to move a muscle ...first in was the white chap ... He bobbed up and down bellow the surface. .... next the black chap. ... He sank like a stone.  They concluded  or thought that this was because of heavier bone mass.  Maybe this is why we don't see many Olympic Swimmers. However I believe that this father ( God love him ) was a non swimmer.

I actually remember seeing something very similar,  iirc bone density was found to be the reason why black people made poor swimmers , but better runners. 

What ever the reason,  my heart goes out to this poor family ,it really is a most terrible tragedy. 

Edited by mel b3

I too recall reports citing bone density in Black people, being the reason why so few of them are top level swimmers!....but it is hard to believe that this is the likely cause of three people drowning in a swimming pool?

Awful tragedy....let’s hope the authorities find the cause.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Didn’t anyone else hear it was a pump issue? 

Apparently some freak accident with the pump which caused suction. Once they were under they couldn’t get back to the surface. 

Absolutely frightening. 

I can't imagine it was owt to do with the pump, they don't need to be that powerful, enough to drag the water over the skimmers and circulate through the sand filters and back through the pool. 

14 hours ago, ditchman said:

i am amazed at it as well...............the only thing i can think of is 

1. they had just eaten and had full stomachs
  2. electrocuted by the low voltage pool light
  3. concentration of cholide gas at the surface

Maybe someone turned the pump on to back flush the filters. That could create a whirl pool effect.

Some years ago I occasionally used to look after a friends house where he had holiday lets for which there was a heated indoor pool.  This had a filter and heat exchanger remote from the pool in a small plant room.  Certain operations were only to be done (for safety reasons) when no one was using the pool.  I don't now remember the details, but one was 'topping up' the chemical level - which had to be tested daily - and if it needed topping up there was a period of 'mixing' before people could use the pool again.  I don't remember exact details now, but the owner was very careful to avoid risks.

The pumps used were quite small (not dissimilar to a central heating pump) and ran continuously to circulate the water through the heating and filter  There were large (compared to say a person's foot) grids on water inlets/outlets.  I cannot see the pump suction being strong enough to pull people to the centre or under the water.  Chemical was added by diverting the circulating water through a separate vessel which contained the chemical.

It is difficult to see how (in that installation anyway) the water circulation system could put a swimmer at risk.

Edited by JohnfromUK

There has to be some explanation beyond a freak accident, three people, healthy and apparently sober don't just drown in a hotel pool. Whether they could swim or not would be an issue but not the complete story. Pools should be designed to be fail safe. Reports said there was a whirlpool device, what part that played ?

Definitely a cover up, but that's always the way in these places. The police know who pays their wages, they are not impartial. 

The deepest part of the pool was only 6 inches deeper than the man. I'm not very good at swimming but I could survive that.

Having said that, I once nearly drowned in the sea. I was quite literally going down for the third time and I knew I wasn't coming back up this time, I was about to drown. It sounds funny now but when my feet touched the bottom and I could easily stand up in the water I was extremely relieved.

Edited by 39TDS

40 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

The deepest part of the pool was only 6 inches deeper than the man. I'm not very good at swimming but I could survive that.

Having said that, I once nearly drowned in the sea. I was quite literally going down for the third time and I knew I wasn't coming back up this time, I was about to drown. It sounds funny now but when my feet touched the bottom and I could easily stand up in the water I was extremely relieved.

I was towing a chap back through the surf at Newquay in a panic. After 10 mins I told him to put his feet down in the waist deep water. It's easy done.

Another good one is with cold water. You fall in and the shock hits and you breath in. Your chest holds the breath and you cannot breath because you cannot relax and let the air out. The more you try to breath the tighter your chest holds the air. 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

I was towing a chap back through the surf at Newquay in a panic. After 10 mins I told him to put his feet down in the waist deep water. It's easy done.

Another good one is with cold water. You fall in and the shock hits and you breath in. Your chest holds the breath and you cannot breath because you cannot relax and let the air out. The more you try to breath the tighter your chest holds the air. 

Yeah I did that one as well, jumped into a river in the Lake District. Nearly choked on my knackers. 

One of of the reports said the water in the pool was exceptionally cold. 

Desperately sad case. 

10 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Divers that I worked with in the North Sea told me that it is possible to drown in two inches of water.