Honda CRV or Toyota Rav 4 as a shooting vehicle?

Salop Matt

Folks, I love my Jimny to bits and off road it's like a main battle tank. 

But am traveling further a field with my shooting and loading and want to change for something a bit newer with some more room. 

So I am trying to find out about the CRV and Rav 4 with regards off road ability and suitability as a shooting vehicle. 

Anything I have would have All Terrain tyres put on it. 

Thoughts and shared experiences would be appreciated. 

TIA 

Matt

Hesitate to reply here as it's not what you were after, but as you acknowledge that some compromise is in order, could I toss in the Yeti? Unfortunately, the X Trail diesel had to go because of the nature of my daily driving and now a medical condition and always having liked the look of them I went for a petrol Yeti which I'm now liking more and more while remaining within the conditions that you describe.

13 minutes ago, salop sniper said:

Not sure what the ground clearance is like on a Yeti and I suspect they hold stronger prices but will check them out 👍

So far OK on clearance but I have found the need to be careful regarding approach and departure angles. A couple of gateways with a drain running across did stop me but it turned out it was routine work in progress and all is now good.

3 minutes ago, butchdickason said:

Had my RAV 4' for the past 15 years, been everywhere and have never got stuck, the permanent 4WD is excellent, mine is auto, put it in low and it will climb anything within reason. Mileage is now close to 120 thousand and only cost has been service, brake pads and tyres and fuel.

Toyota RAV 4x4.jpg

Changed mine for a 2012crv as id put over 130,000mls on it.

Brilliant motor but thirsty as its permanent 4 wheel drive...

Not as good as the crv for general driving but was better off road. 

I had an 11 plate crv (2.2d ex) it had some amazing electronic trickery that sees it better than most for dealing with slippery stuff. It was hard to get half decent A/T's due to the wheel size. I used it a fair bit off road but ground clearance was a major factor and the arches clogged with mud. Eventually the space between the engine, gear box and bulkhead jammed with mud and stones and had to be cleared out. Whilst it is a 4wd its more about looks and on road capability. Ok for tracks and maybe a wet field but no more. 

Depending on what you are doing its far better to avoid relying on the 4x4 and find another way around the problem. With my Lux I try and keep it on the hard where I can and now the fields are so wet I will not even drive beyond the gateway. 

my daughter has a 55 plate rav4 d4d 5door for sale 11 months mot just had new discs and pads new handbrake cables and shoes  new nsf drive shaft for mot full service history amazon green colour tidy inside and out wants 2k or near offer has been 100% reliable newer vehicle reason for sale based in scarborough

I have never had a Rav 4 , or to be honest I have never had a 4x4 , I asked on this forum what they would recommend for my needs , a lot said a C R V , so when one came along at roughly what I wanted to pay I went ahead and bought it , that was well over two years ago , when I bought it the MOT had no advisories and the two times I have had it MOT the result was the same , passed with only two minor advisories which I had done straightaway .

As for going over muddy land , I love it , today I followed the shoot wagon which is a ex army lorry and not once did it ever look like getting stuck , I am not saying it can't get stuck , of course it can but for going where I want it to go is no problem .

Without a shadow of doubt it is the best motor I have had in my lifetime of driving .

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2020 at 19:17, marsh man said:

I have never had a Rav 4 , or to be honest I have never had a 4x4 , I asked on this forum what they would recommend for my needs , a lot said a C R V , so when one came along at roughly what I wanted to pay I went ahead and bought it , that was well over two years ago , when I bought it the MOT had no advisories and the two times I have had it MOT the result was the same , passed with only two minor advisories which I had done straightaway .

As for going over muddy land , I love it , today I followed the shoot wagon which is a ex army lorry and not once did it ever look like getting stuck , I am not saying it can't get stuck , of course it can but for going where I want it to go is no problem .

Without a shadow of doubt it is the best motor I have had in my lifetime of driving .

What one did you get?

I'm browsing these new 1.6 ones. Lad on our shoot has ones says it's brilliant. 50mpg in summer and 45+ in winter. 

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What one did you get?

I'm browsing these new 1.6 ones. Lad on our shoot has ones says it's brilliant. 50mpg in summer and 45+ in winter. 

CR-V 2.2i-CD ...... I am not into what the mileage is per gallon , but I recon in the 40s , seem very solid and today in gale conditions it was draft proof , plenty of room in the back for dogs and when I have sold my pigeons to the game dealer the weight of around 300 is no problem , they all go in the back and my dog sit on the back seat:lol:

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

CR-V 2.2i-CD ...... I am not into what the mileage is per gallon , but I recon in the 40s , seem very solid and today in gale conditions it was draft proof , plenty of room in the back for dogs and when I have sold my pigeons to the game dealer the weight of around 300 is no problem , they all go in the back and my dog sit on the back seat

Hope he helps you carry them in :) 

On 29/12/2019 at 19:17, team tractor said:

I’m looking rav 4 when my terios dies ( mot feb 🙈😢 wish me luck ) 

I’m shocked at the crv prices but that’s all that puts me off. 
remember you can lift any car although it’s easier if it’s already up I admit. 

hello, mines just past the MOT again TT, it a 55 plate with 47000 on the clock, cannot seem to find a similar type 4x4 as i would like a change.