Honda CRV or Toyota Rav 4 as a shooting vehicle?

Salop Matt

On 14/01/2020 at 19:17, Lloyd90 said:

What one did you get?

I'm browsing these new 1.6 ones. Lad on our shoot has ones says it's brilliant. 50mpg in summer and 45+ in winter. 

I can't comment on the off road ability other than to say it made it up a wet muddy grassy slope better than a Range Rover or a Jeep Cherokee on our clay shoot. It also gets through a muddy gateway which left 2wd MPVs stuck !

However, when we have a child seat in the middle, this was the only vehicle we sat in which had enough room either side of the child seat for an adult to sit comfortably. We have teenage boys and a 9 yr old daughter.

The X-trail's roof was too low for me to sit in the back seats and I am only 5`11", the RAV4 was too small across the back seats too. I was disappointed with the X-trail as it looked like a good contender. 

I do love my CR-V though, it has been a fantastic car for our needs.  We take our sons fishing with all their carp gear, it copes with the potholed rutted tracks far better than our old fragile Citroen C4 GP.  We have taken it abroad with three bikes, all their fishing gear plus the five of us with usual holiday luggage (roofbox full) and it was still doing 40mpg even with all that on board. 

There are a lot of 2WD CR-Vs for sale so you have to be careful to get the 4WD model - which has 160BHP I believe. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2020 at 21:24, sishyplops said:

I’ve got a 2006 crv 2.2cdti, Need to replace tyres soon to something a little more AT, any thoughts?

I've had Insa Turbo Rangers 215/60/16's on for the last 2 years, taking it off-road - including an off-road weekend with the 4x4 Rescue group I volunteer with - and had no problems at all with anything I've asked of it. I tend to do around 9 - 10,000 miles per year on all types of road surfaces as well as the afore-mentioned off -road use.

6 minutes ago, sandsie1 said:

I've had Insa Turbo Rangers 215/60/16's on for the last 2 years, taking it off-road - including an off-road weekend with the 4x4 Rescue group I volunteer with - and had no problems at all with anything I've asked of it. I tend to do around 9 - 10,000 miles per year on all types of road surfaces as well as the afore-mentioned off -road use.

Cheers have you lifted it?

On 16/01/2020 at 12:05, arjimlad said:

I can't comment on the off road ability other than to say it made it up a wet muddy grassy slope better than a Range Rover or a Jeep Cherokee on our clay shoot. It also gets through a muddy gateway which left 2wd MPVs stuck !

However, when we have a child seat in the middle, this was the only vehicle we sat in which had enough room either side of the child seat for an adult to sit comfortably. We have teenage boys and a 9 yr old daughter.

The X-trail's roof was too low for me to sit in the back seats and I am only 5`11", the RAV4 was too small across the back seats too. I was disappointed with the X-trail as it looked like a good contender. 

I do love my CR-V though, it has been a fantastic car for our needs.  We take our sons fishing with all their carp gear, it copes with the potholed rutted tracks far better than our old fragile Citroen C4 GP.  We have taken it abroad with three bikes, all their fishing gear plus the five of us with usual holiday luggage (roofbox full) and it was still doing 40mpg even with all that on board. 

There are a lot of 2WD CR-Vs for sale so you have to be careful to get the 4WD model - which has 160BHP I believe. 

Are you likely to be a rear seat passenger in an X-Trail? I shoot from a 4WD because of emphysema, basically I can't relax breathing for the shot if carrying anything heavy around.

I'd not be without X-Trail, had two now - both petrol autos and thirsty but boy they do a great job for me. Had a CR-V but legs kept bumping the dash on the way in, partly because the front doors are so narrow (5" narrower than XT), not good for a six footer. I shoot off the door mirror if driving round on my own and steer at where I need to shoot - I use a roof spotter. The massive sunroof allows a buddy to stand in the rear to shoot over my head - or anywhere else and the roof behind is great for a lay up. All elevated, rested. dry and warm.

17 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Are you likely to be a rear seat passenger in an X-Trail? I shoot from a 4WD because of emphysema, basically I can't relax breathing for the shot if carrying anything heavy around.

I'd not be without X-Trail, had two now - both petrol autos and thirsty but boy they do a great job for me. Had a CR-V but legs kept bumping the dash on the way in, partly because the front doors are so narrow (5" narrower than XT), not good for a six footer. I shoot off the door mirror if driving round on my own and steer at where I need to shoot - I use a roof spotter. The massive sunroof allows a buddy to stand in the rear to shoot over my head - or anywhere else and the roof behind is great for a lay up. All elevated, rested. dry and warm.

Mine is the main family wagon so I had to consider the comfort of getting 16 & 19yr old lads 5`11" or taller sitting in the back with a booster seat in the middle. 

Your X-trail sounds ideal for your needs. 

• 2 months later...

Just as an update not that am able to drive it much. I've picked up a Rav (61 plate) with 60k on the clock. 

It wont be as capable off road as the Jimny but on road its loads better. Heated seats for the winter cold mornings and AC for hot summer days. 

I've got a tow bar delivered now ready to fit and I just want to get some roof bars and some AT tyres (Coopers or Goodyear) . I bought a spare tyre as it doesnt have one as standard, I will carry it in the back and make a shelf to go over it giving me a flat surface again. 

Will feed back how I get on after the winter when I've had it off road a bit.

ATB

Matt

Kia Sportage the earlier ones are worth a look too  my dad has one of the last swb rav4 d4d and it’s a great if old now got a bargain on some part worn Michelin tyres to replace the very hard and cracked bf Goodrich which were legal but 12 years old it’s an 03 plate on 90k ish only does 3-4K a year so he is having all the work done for its next mot (extended 6 months as might as well throw £500 at it than try and find another for under £1k that won’t cost £500 in the next 3 years......

the Michelin’s have made he ride on tarmac much better it’s doesn’t off road these days only to shops and back really.....

Edited by HDAV

On 17/04/2020 at 20:05, salop sniper said:

Just as an update not that am able to drive it much. I've picked up a Rav (61 plate) with 60k on the clock. 

It wont be as capable off road as the Jimny but on road its loads better. Heated seats for the winter cold mornings and AC for hot summer days. 

I've got a tow bar delivered now ready to fit and I just want to get some roof bars and some AT tyres (Coopers or Goodyear) . I bought a spare tyre as it doesnt have one as standard, I will carry it in the back and make a shelf to go over it giving me a flat surface again. 

Will feed back how I get on after the winter when I've had it off road a bit.

ATB

Matt

Have 208000 on my 02. Had it 10yrs and would get another. Mine cost £1000 with all the past history paperwork. 

Clutch at 135000 wasn't cheap, thankfully done before I got it. 

5th gear went about 200000 but don't believe the engine/grarbox out hype, you can get to it via the n/s wheel arch, gb cover off there it is. 

Just recently the alarm had a funny turn which was easily sorted. The bracket for the bonnet switch needed manipulating to apply more pressure. 

Rattles a bit when cold but goes away when warmed up, doesn't use oil. 

Not that I do alot off road but never been stuck even with road tyres in deep soft mud. 

Got my eye on another, a diesel of similar age but half the miles. 

On 31/12/2019 at 14:32, team tractor said:

F825F035-9AEC-47B2-818C-FA6FB0ECEEEE.png

Now that's even better than my Landie, very clever.  I do believe you will struggle to decide either way. I have never owned either but have ridden cross country in both and as long as the driver knows what he is doing and doesn't expect too much they will get you around. It really is like standing the the orchard and thinking apple or pear.