Recommend me a clay gun

Old farrier

Right chaps 

first seasons greetings to you 😊

as some of you know I mainly shoot games and have the odd game gun 

however I’m planning on a bit more sporting clays 

so I thought I should have a dedicated sporting clays gun (to irritate my flo) 

so recommend away 😊

don’t hold back 😊

looking forward to the suggestion that come 

all the best 

of 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant really see the difference. Guns are designed to hit things in the air birds or clays. If you shoot well with your game guns then use them.

They do say you need the weight of a clay gun to absorb the punishment of a full days shooting but as most clay grounds insist on a max of 28grams I cant see this.

I Am83 and shoot clays with a 7lb Browning with 26" barrels and I can shoot 100 cartridges with no inconvenience. 

Just try with what you have and enjoy.

57 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Use your game gun to start with and see how you get on with that ,

Shot One of my game guns Friday at clays 75/100 

today 66/100 

34 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Cant really see the difference. Guns are designed to hit things in the air birds or clays. If you shoot well with your game guns then use them.

They do say you need the weight of a clay gun to absorb the punishment of a full days shooting but as most clay grounds insist on a max of 28grams I cant see this.

I Am83 and shoot clays with a 7lb Browning with 26" barrels and I can shoot 100 cartridges with no inconvenience. 

Just try with what you have and enjoy.

Game gun is 6 lb 4oz 

it’s the looks from the other competitors that’s bothering me I don’t want to look out of place 🤭 

besides that not many top clay shots use a game gun 

Just now, sam triple said:

If you’re serious about getting a sporter to clay shoot band ask to try a few ,  Keep an open mind regarding budget, make ,configuration etc 

Thanks for the reply 

think it’ll make things easier for clays I find it easy to pick up a gun for game shooting as a know what quarry I’m going for on the estate I’m shooting on 

ive a very open mind just checking with the experts before I go to get one 

28 minutes ago, chesterse said:

Friend of mine has just gone through the same experience after many years of shooting game. He started on clays with his 28” Browning 725 game gun but has improved his sporting clays scores by going to a second hand 32” Miroku MK38 trap gun.

I’ve got a 725 game gun 32 haven’t tried it at clays yet though it’s more of a high bird gun not really for close clays 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Probably a over and under and as the sign says pick up empty cases probably will be easier 👍😊

It certainly will.

After initially disliking semi autos I have become a rabid convert and love my Winchester SX3 U.S. A very long gun but very fast too.

Over and unders I like Browning and Miroku, although I've shot a few nice Winchesters too. I suppose it depends whether you're looking for a true competition gun or just a nice over and under.

For me the best value would be something like a nice MK38, you can pick up a high grade gun for under £2k.

9 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Use the 725 and use more open chokes. 

any budget if you just need a new toy

To be honest daf 

coming up for a renewal and they always say I’ve got to many so running through them I decided I never had a clay gun or a skeet gun 😉☹️

And you know how it is with toys 😊

10 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

It certainly will.

After initially disliking semi autos I have become a rabid convert and love my Winchester SX3 U.S. A very long gun but very fast too.

Over and unders I like Browning and Miroku, although I've shot a few nice Winchesters too. I suppose it depends whether you're looking for a true competition gun or just a nice over and under.

For me the best value would be something like a nice MK38, you can pick up a high grade gun for under £2k.

A true competition gun no good going into it half hearted 🙂

iv got a nice over and under or two but all set up for the game shooting 

8 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

lol I understand. However I'll have to bow out at this point as that league of gun is beyond my experience and wallet.

Enjoy the new toy whatever you decide on.:good:

My 525 had several firing pin issues, back and forth it went to browning so I used my affinity for clays whilst it was away. I was down at millride shooting ground one afternoon and I met a great bunch of blokes who were all having a go with each other’s guns and had a bash with a few different types. I hit the most DTL with an ATA supersport, 32” adjustable and the most sporting with a blokes 30” beretta DT something or other. Absolutely lovely gun which he had paid 6k for if memory serves. My buddy is just buying his first clay gun so he is taking my advice ( which I learned from the generosity of a group of shooters I had never met before) Try as many as possible, one will jump out. All the best with the search👍

2 minutes ago, Taileron said:

My 525 had several firing pin issues, back and forth it went to browning so I used my affinity for clays whilst it was away. I was down at millride shooting ground one afternoon and I met a great bunch of blokes who were all having a go with each other’s guns and had a bash with a few different types. I hit the most DTL with an ATA supersport, 32” adjustable and the most sporting with a blokes 30” beretta DT something or other. Absolutely lovely gun which he had paid 6k for if memory serves. My buddy is just buying his first clay gun so he is taking my advice ( which I learned from the generosity of a group of shooters I had never met before) Try as many as possible, one will jump out. All the best with the search👍

Many thanks for the information and reply I shall try a few 👍😊

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

To be honest daf 

coming up for a renewal and they always say I’ve got to many so running through them I decided I never had a clay gun or a skeet gun 😉☹️

And you know how it is with toys 😊

Nice Perazzi or Kerighoff (if you can get past the looks) 

if your looking a bit cheaper a Zoli or even Yildiz pro sport would be good options 

6 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Nice Perazzi or Kerighoff (if you can get past the looks) 

if your looking a bit cheaper a Zoli or even Yildiz pro sport would be good options 

Looking at the Perazzi found them a bit confusing on there Model details 

ill keep researching them and look at the Krieghoff 

any Particular one ?

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Shot One of my game guns Friday at clays 75/100 

today 66/100 

Game gun is 6 lb 4oz 

it’s the looks from the other competitors that’s bothering me I don’t want to look out of place 🤭 

besides that not many top clay shots use a game gun 

Hi. We obviously approach clay shooting with different attitudes. We shoot for fun and because we love the different guns. Yes there are the dedicated competition shooters at our clay ground going about their serious business in there £500 Gilets and their competition guns. Good luck to them, most are nice guys. I notice you use the word "competitors" We don't compete we just have fun and shoot with un suitable guns.

BUT we don't half shoot well!

Good luck with your search.