Recommend me a clay gun

Old farrier

7 hours ago, cardigun said:

Percy Stanbury won practically everything with a side by side.  I remember seeing it covered in silver medals in -letted into the stock. I think it was a 30" barrelled Webley , with full choke in both.

Yep think it was a 700, i have one remember reading his books as a kid and wanting a webley. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

4.10 wasn’t on my list 😂

I like yourself have been a occasional clay shooter and shoot any gun I fancied I did it for fun the club however is running a series of competitions throughout the year and if you’re in it I feel you should do your best 

it’s just time to move on and get the tool for the job 

absolutely no point in hammering a nice ss with 2 or 3 hundred cartridges a week 

:good:Too true.

But ne'er-the-less I'd hedge my bets. I buy what I fancy with no thought of a possible abysmal resale value but there's no harm in taking advantage of it and I only suggest this as I've been given one albeit new - the Antonio Zoli Standard Game Gun - these are cheap as chips used and make a half decent general purpose clay gun. Just the job for an 'in house' club competition. The price of these reflects their popularity - or lack of - not their quality. Worth a look.

There’s nothing wrong with using a sxs for clays, especially as a precursor to the game season, but if you want a dedicated trap gun you’d be best served with a multi choked ou, even if eventually you don’t bother to change the chokes.
Dedicated trap guns were specifically designed with shooting clays in mind, sxs’s weren’t. 

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

There’s nothing wrong with using a sxs for clays, especially as a precursor to the game season, but if you want a dedicated trap gun you’d be best served with a multi choked ou, even if eventually you don’t bother to change the chokes.
Dedicated trap guns were specifically designed with shooting clays in mind, sxs’s weren’t. 

Thank you scully 

cant see any reason not to have one seems there’s no specific favourite among members as yet and as I doubt Percy stanburys side by side is for sale that’s out of the equation (he picked it out of a choice of 5 and was adamant on that particular one) so I’ll keep researching 

10 minutes ago, Dibble said:

Has anybody tried a Live Pigeon gun for clays.

Mate has one which he uses mostly for game but has shot clays with it prior to the game season. Outside the game season he uses a dedicated trap gun when shooting clays. 
A bloke in our syndicate beat us all ( the second place gun by one bird ) with his old battered unknown origin sxs in a pre season fun day at Westlands a couple of years ago. It is his only gun and he has owned it and shot with it since his teens. He is in his early fifties now. He didn’t do well on the skeet layout, but as I said, overall he won by one bird. 🙂

13 hours ago, Scully said:

I have no idea what your budget is, but there are oodles and oodles of good quality new and secondhand dedicated clay guns out there ( as you’ll know ) to choose from.

My advice would be to take your time and not rush into a purchase. Try as many as possible before you spend your money. 
The thing is, many people just choose a gun they like the look of and learn to shoot it. Even good shots who know they shoot well with a particular model will sell it some time thinking they prefer another or would shoot better with it.

I know of one bloke who shot exceedingly well with a very plain entry grade 325 Browning, but eventually sold it for a very nice G5 525 Browning and his averages dropped and stayed dropped. He now has a very nice high grade Mk 38 Miroku with which he does well, but still struggles to maintain the averages he did with the plain Jane. 
Your average shooter is a weird creature; all it takes is a couple of bad performances and the seed is planted which sees him not only swapping cartridges but looking for a new gun!  I know cos I’ve done it! In my defence  I’m a gun nut, and if I had the money I’d have even more than I currently have. 🙂

I think there's some great advice here.

As a new shooter I bought the gun I could afford. I liked it, I shot ok with it too, but I now realise it really didn't fit me. I replaced it with a much more expensive gun that I shot much better with. Then I replaced that with a cheap semi because I came to enjoy shooting that more, and shot better with it too.

Then one day my semi malfunctioned. I was supposed to pick up the spare part at the shoot but for some reason  it didn't happen. I'd noticed a guy at the shoot who my mates obviously knew who had a new gun. Being a cheeky sod I asked for a go and my first shot smashed both clays from a rising pair. You could say I fell in love with the gun at that point. I ended up shooting my entire round with it and a few weeks later bought one.

My main point from this waffle being, don't be shy about asking for a go with someone's gun. Most clay shooters are friendly enough and who knows, you might fluke across the perfect gun for you. I seem to have.

My thoughts on this is if you just want to enjoy a day out with friends then any gun you fancy for the day, if you want to take it seriously ie join cpsa move up the rankings, shoot for the county you will need a serious clay gun, I noticed you have a 725 and personally I would use that for a bit until you settle in to see where you want to go with clay shooting 

1 hour ago, vmaxphil said:

My thoughts on this is if you just want to enjoy a day out with friends then any gun you fancy for the day, if you want to take it seriously ie join cpsa move up the rankings, shoot for the county you will need a serious clay gun, I noticed you have a 725 and personally I would use that for a bit until you settle in to see where you want to go with clay shooting 

Exactly what I would like to do 😊👍

8 hours ago, Mr_Nobody said:

I think there's some great advice here.

As a new shooter I bought the gun I could afford. I liked it, I shot ok with it too, but I now realise it really didn't fit me. I replaced it with a much more expensive gun that I shot much better with. Then I replaced that with a cheap semi because I came to enjoy shooting that more, and shot better with it too.

Then one day my semi malfunctioned. I was supposed to pick up the spare part at the shoot but for some reason  it didn't happen. I'd noticed a guy at the shoot who my mates obviously knew who had a new gun. Being a cheeky sod I asked for a go and my first shot smashed both clays from a rising pair. You could say I fell in love with the gun at that point. I ended up shooting my entire round with it and a few weeks later bought one.

My main point from this waffle being, don't be shy about asking for a go with someone's gun. Most clay shooters are friendly enough and who knows, you might fluke across the perfect gun for you. I seem to have.

Thanks for the reply and the advice I shall take it onboard 😊👍

2 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

Having missed the bit about already having a 725 which renders my previous effort pointless, then this ^^^.

Thanks for the input and the replies chaps very informative 😊

ill just take the opportunity to say happy new year to you all and thanks for all your help and input through the year 👍👍😊

I kinda hoped for a few 

I’m a AAclass shot and got there shooting a ??????? And am constantly in the 90s so either there very modest or there’s none on the forum 😂😂 

all the best for the new year 

Of

As a slight side track 

most of my guns are fixed choke can I take 2 guns and use a tight choke gun for the longest clays and swap for a different gun on the close stuff? 

Edited by Old farrier

Hi OF I’ve always enjoyed shooting Mirokus and had a fixed choke trap gun that balanced well one of these teagued would be a lot of gun for the money so I would recommend an older sleeper if you can find one then having it teagued if you like it. A gun I’ve never owned but enjoyed shooting was a Perazzi mx4c Multichoke Skeet gun with I think 27 inch barrels. Quite different options but both capable of competing .

I have a beretta Orvis uplander in 20 bore with a straight hand stock that balances and swings like a best side by side and didn’t cost the earth so not all over and unders are planks .Moment of inertia figures show some 20 bore over and unders have favourable handling characteristics as does the Winchester model 12 in 20 bore with a plain ribless barrel.

Back in the 1970s it was common for people to take a Skeet gun for the close targets and a trap gun for the rangier side on targets on sporting layouts