Recommend me a clay gun

Old farrier

PS I am not an AA class shooter but knew someone who did exceptionally well with a Vostok Skeet ,?? Tula choked ,gun with additional 30 inch barrels which he had teagued. I guess there’s just so many options that work the hard bit is finding one ,and there will be more than one, option that suits you and that you can afford without the expense detracting from the pleasure

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Konor said:

PS I am not an AA class shooter but knew someone who did exceptionally well with a Vostok Skeet ,?? Tula choked ,gun with additional 30 inch barrels which he had teagued. I guess there’s just so many options that work the hard bit is finding one ,and there will be more than one, option that suits you and that you can afford without the expense detracting from the pleasure

That’s more like it 😊

mare you sure you’re not a AA  on the Qt 😊😊👍

thanks for your input 👍

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So then OF, what have you decided to buy?

Trying a couple at the weekend 😊👍

as advised by the PW experts 

32 inch barrel 725 

30 inch dt10 

ill let you know how I get on 👍😊

On 31/12/2019 at 22:14, dodeer said:

B25 C3 trap 30” on guntrader which would shoot reasonably flat. 1/2 & full. The B25 handle really nicely too

Would that be similar to my browning black duck? 

Well not so good today 

tried the 100 birds with the 725  ..32 inch barrels 

weather wasn’t good cold damp and odd rain showers 

the gun was pointable and fairly well balanced and broke clays on all stands a bit heavy from what I’m used to so maybe with a bit of perseverance it could do the job 

also tried a Beretta sporter eell on one stand a touch muzzle heavy but that could have been down to the extended brierley chokes 

ended up with a 62 so down from the game gun score 

Whilst I am a great believer in trying different guns before buying, they all take a bit of getting used to - which takes practice.  For me - I think that the amount of 'effort' your body needs to exert to get the movements exactly as your brain wants to see them needs 'learning'.

33 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Whilst I am a great believer in trying different guns before buying, they all take a bit of getting used to - which takes practice.  For me - I think that the amount of 'effort' your body needs to exert to get the movements exactly as your brain wants to see them needs 'learning'.

I’m agreeing with you on this and value your input 

although you do seem to know when a gun is right for you when it all comes right 

Just now, Old farrier said:

you do seem to know when a gun is right for you when it all comes right 

I completely agree, but it is the fine tuning of the reflexes and muscle memory that needs to come together as well as the actual physical fit.

For example, I have two s/s (one English, rather over 100 years old, the other Spanish, about 40 years old), same weight (as near as makes to difference) and physical dimensions, but the slight differences in handling (balance, moment of inertia, trigger pulls) mean that if I change it always takes a little time for my subconscious to adjust.

I’ve been a SBS man and a live quarry shooter for over 55 years! You could count the times I’ve been clay bustin, in all that time, as probably less than ten! About 5 years ago I bought a grade 1 Browning 425....Intending at some point, to move it on! I bought it on a whim! Because 1) a mate invited me along to his regular clay club, 2) my wildfowling club holds the occasional clay shoot, 3) it was the right price and 4) my light 2 1/2” chambered game gun wasn’t really designed for shooting fast clay loads!
Well surprise, surprise, I found out that, from the off........I could shoot very well with it!

It still sits in my cabinet, and when clays are on the agenda......this is the gun I reach for!

On 05/01/2020 at 19:41, Old farrier said:

Well not so good today 

tried the 100 birds with the 725  ..32 inch barrels 

weather wasn’t good cold damp and odd rain showers 

the gun was pointable and fairly well balanced and broke clays on all stands a bit heavy from what I’m used to so maybe with a bit of perseverance it could do the job 

also tried a Beretta sporter eell on one stand a touch muzzle heavy but that could have been down to the extended brierley chokes 

ended up with a 62 so down from the game gun score 

We should look on that as a work in progress, more work to be done!:good:

On 09/01/2020 at 07:32, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We should look on that as a work in progress, more work to be done!:good:

I

Im trying a shorter barrel beretta tomorrow 

intending to try a few before I buy 😊

35 minutes ago, Tedly47 said:

I only use 24g on clays..... And I get on fine with them even on the long stuff.

That’s good what gun and chokes are you shooting them through and out of interest your average is? 

As i dont think anyone has 

suggested them in this thread how about keeping an eye out for a good condition Winchester 6500 with multi choked 30 inch barrels ?outstanding biild quality and balance.Used by Smoker Smith to great effect.The 5500 is basically the same gun.You can still find some sleepers out there.

40 minutes ago, holloway said:

As i dont think anyone has 

suggested them in this thread how about keeping an eye out for a good condition Winchester 6500 with multi choked 30 inch barrels ?outstanding biild quality and balance.Used by Smoker Smith to great effect.The 5500 is basically the same gun.You can still find some sleepers out there.

Never tried one haven’t seen anyone using one locally but I’ll ask around or put up a notice on the club board 

thanks for the input 😊👍

Well 

tried a 28 inch beretta yesterday very nice gun no palm swell so that felt better 

it was a tad blustery so challenging conditions to shoot in 

took a bit of time to get to grips with this gun as it shot very flat 

not the gun for me this one although I did scrape through with a 55 scored  

next on the list a browning 😊

29 minutes ago, magman said:

try an older 687 30" or the older dt10 30" both very well made guns , but what do i no 👀

Thanks for the input on this I’ll try a dt10 

need to up my game at the clay shooting 

you never know there maybe another charity shoot 👍

30 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I have always liked the older better Beretta's.

An SO from last century would be a good start!

I believe that they made a Olympic model so they would be fairly good although I’m not sure if sporting is a Olympic sport 😊👍