Anyone had gout on PW ??

ditchman

I have had 2 episodes, both excruciatingly painful for a couple of hours.

Spoke with my GP and there is a treatment but they are loath to prescribe it unless you can't control the gout with changing your diet.

Diet and gout, what to avoid.

Alcohol, especially beer and hard liquor.

Red meat and organ meat such as liver or kidneys, which are high in saturated fat.

Seafood such as lobster, shrimp, sardines, anchovies, tuna, trout, mackerel, and haddock.

Sugary drinks and foods high in fructose.

Processed foods and refined carbohydrates.

I changed the diet and have not had gout for 3 years now.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
LIST!

It is bloody terrible I have had it in my toes can’t put a bedsheet on it as the pain is unreal there used to be three of us that had it we used to swop tables as your body gets used to them.

Sorry to hear your missis as it.

would like to say I would not wish it on anybody but I can think of a couple of people I would.

she has..........or rather i have cut all sugar out of her diet....she eats fresh food (simple) that i cook her........her sugar intake up to recently was horrific..........

she did her ankle in about a week ago ...the swelling has gone down and the bruize has faded...but discoloration has now ocurred near the bone joints and calf muscle....the pain comes and goes...................she isnt running a fever ...eating like a horse...

37 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have had 2 episodes, both excruciatingly painful for a couple of hours.

Spoke with my GP and there is a treatment but they are loath to prescribe it unless you can't control the gout with changing your diet.

Diet and gout, what to avoid.

Alcohol, especially beer and hard liquor.

Red meat and organ meat such as liver or kidneys, which are high in saturated fat.

Seafood such as lobster, shrimp, sardines, anchovies, tuna, trout, mackerel, and haddock.

Sugary drinks and foods high in fructose.

Processed foods and refined carbohydrates.

I changed the diet and have not had gout for 3 years now.

but what do you get to eat 😞 

Hi Simon, Have had it for 4yrs, most cases are bad for a week then clear up. If she has more than two acute attacks she can go on allopurinol (that would be for life)

My attack never let up much for 6 months the Docs couldn't understand it. Ended up eating colchicine  tablets, you should only have a three day course because it affects your tummy.

as an aside you can get it in any joint toe,finger,elbow anywhere, it's a build up of uric acid that forms in your joints as crystals, very painful (unbearable)

If you want to Pm me and chat then please do. 

Edited by tonker

1 minute ago, tonker said:

Hi Simon, Have had it for 4yrs, most cases are bad for a week then clear up. If she has more than two acute attacks she can go on allopurinol (that would be for life)

My attack never let up much for 6 months the Docs couldn't understand it. Ended up eating colchicine  tablets, you should only have a three day course because it affects your tummy.

If you want to Pm me and chat then please do.

this is the first time she has had it..............she is off to the docs 2 moz...so we will have it confirmed...and then i will let you know the outcome..:good:

1 hour ago, snow white said:

Hi no cheese or port that’s no good for gout it could be arthritis if she as injured her ankle it gets in the joints in cold weather .

Fun fact. William Pitt the Younger suffered from gout. 

His doctor prescribed him port, a bottle or two a day! (an early version of the John Claude Junker diet)

As the lecturer who told me the story said, "Port is great for gout. If you don't have it you soon will".

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

she has..........or rather i have cut all sugar out of her diet....she eats fresh food (simple) that i cook her........her sugar intake up to recently was horrific..........

she did her ankle in about a week ago ...the swelling has gone down and the bruize has faded...but discoloration has now ocurred near the bone joints and calf muscle....the pain comes and goes...................she isnt running a fever ...eating like a horse...

even a small trauma to a joint can trigger gout if youre susceptible

mate.

JB

Edited by ratass
more info

I have had gout several times.  A others have said, horribly painful. 

1. It is sometimes brought on by dehydration; make sure you get plenty of water.
  2. Certain diet things can bring it on - but this varies from person to person (shellfish and beer are particularly bad for me)
  3. The fastest relief can be got by taking colchichine (prescription only) but this is limited in how much you can take, how often you can take it, and has bad stomach side effects in some people
  4. If you get it regularly, allopurinol can be prescribed - but it is an 'on for life' once started.

At present I take care with diet avoiding things that trigger it and make sire I drink at least 2 to 3 pints of fluid a day - more in hot weather.  I have a 'standby' supply of colchicine prescribed and at the first sign take it - which usually means an outbreak is over quickly and much less painfully.  I typically get about 1 or 2 outbreaks a year.