Remington 870

Gerry78

Express is base model will be 3 inch timber again is basic, will come with a single mod choke/ rem choke from new. Super magnum express is the 3.5 inch same basic layout.

Not much to say tried and tested strong and reliable  typical Remington gun fit they in my case fit me perfectly same as 1100 or 1187s, action is good once bedded in and rem chokes are readily available after market or factory options.

The wet blast and blue job on these base models from Remington is prone to rusting, and it wont be long before its stark naked,  krylon or rustolium  flat black spray helps keep the rust at bay, but a more long lasting Finnish could be an option but will put additional costs on what is a basic cheap gun.

Wood finish again is basic but it unlike the metal work  is quite durable.

Harsh on the metalwork perhaps, but they are no worse than any other flat black gun finishes out there rust is a problem, and the flat black sprays help keep rust at bay for little money, on what is in essence a workhorse of a shotgun.

Great pumps. I owned one in a flat black parkerised finish and synthetic stock, which is the way to go in my opinion if you want it as a tool.
All finishes wear in time if they’re used as tools; I’ve seen several Benellis and Baikel autos with little or no finish on them due to heavy and prolonged use, usually by keepers. 

11 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Wish I'd bought one, my 500a is as noisy as a bucket. 

😀 I think most rattle a bit after a few years. The least rattly ( old ) ones I’ve owned were Model 12’s, the 20 bore being over 80 when I got it. The fore-end had a bit of sideways play, but nothing bad. A 1300 XTR I owned would practically unlock itself on recoil, which could be a bit disconcerting at times! 😀

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

😀 I think most rattle a bit after a few years. The least rattly ( old ) ones I’ve owned were Model 12’s, the 20 bore being over 80 when I got it. The fore-end had a bit of sideways play, but nothing bad. A 1300 XTR I owned would practically unlock itself on recoil, which could be a bit disconcerting at times! 😀

This might be the dullest question ever asked, but would it dampen the noise somewhat if i put plastic furniture on it. I'm thinking not as it's the metal rattling not the wood. Only asking as a mate is off to the states and said do I need anything and it's a lot cheaper from there 

Ill ask in the pump section as well, mods remove this comment as ive nicked this thread

Edited by strimmer_13

1 minute ago, strimmer_13 said:

This might be the dullest question ever asked, but would it dampen the noise somewhat if i put plastic furniture on it. I'm thinking not as it's the metal rattling not the wood. Only asking as a mate is off to the states and said do I need anything and it's a lot cheaper from there 

I honestly wouldn’t know. It may help a little, if the fore-end is loose, being softer material, but it’s often the metal slide rod which causes the most noise in my experience. 
Maybe one of the gunsmiths on here with more knowledge could advise; I really don’t know if there’s a method by which a rattly fore-end can be tightened. 

7 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Cheers lads thanks for responding I did hear they can rust so thinking bout bringing it out wildfowling next season if buy one I take it there proofed for high pressure steel shot 👍

The express super magnum 3.5 inch will be hp steel, but think the  3 inch express model will be normal proof.  The normal express used to be available in left hand too, but not so in the the super magversion.

I have an old one with skeet barrel and 30 inch heavy choke wildfowling barrel, it never fails and I just give it a goodly spray of WD40 before going out in inclement weather. No sign of rust on mine.  Also used the shorty model for early morning calls on 'likely lads' needed for questioning. Always my choice over a handgun anyday for that job:good:

Sadly, in my opinion, the express was built down to a price when Remington were struggling in the market place, still not “cheap “ for a pump, it was nevertheless a down-graded 870 mainly in finish but I suspect in fit and quality control too. I love my pumps, have a great old 870 amongst my collection, I don’t think I would get an express. Many friends have one pump gun and it’s an 870, speaks volumes really. The 870 itself was a “reduced manufacturing cost “ exercise on the M31, but performed when gunmakers ran the company not accountants.

The 870 I had was a quality bit of kit, with some parts purple rather than blued, and had a mid rib bead, but it wasn’t the Express model. 

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

If you want an 870, you want an 870 Wingmaster. 

They come up now and again but depends what you want to pay. 

I am still holding out for one with multi-choke and ideally accepts steel. 

They all accept steel; you just have to put steel through it. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

High performance 3” steel? 

I’ve never used 3” cartridges, but have used on many ocassions Gambores HP Supersteel 3’s and 4’s through old Winchester’s, and a Browning 2000, none of which were steel proofed. 
I own 14 shotguns, only one of which is steel proofed. I have no qualms about putting steel through any of them. 

37 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’ve never used 3” cartridges, but have used on many ocassions Gambores HP Supersteel 3’s and 4’s through old Winchester’s, and a Browning 2000, none of which were steel proofed. 
I own 14 shotguns, only one of which is steel proofed. I have no qualms about putting steel through any of them. 

Whilst I agree in principle, I would be cautious with 3/4 + choking, but having said that, the steel manufactured in the past was possibly superior to that on offer today?

15 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Whilst I agree in principle, I would be cautious with 3/4 + choking, but having said that, the steel manufactured in the past was possibly superior to that on offer today?

The Browning was fixed choke at 3/4. A bit punchy but devastating on quarry. 

2 hours ago, impala59 said:

Choking and normal steel was never a problem re proof, the modified/1/2 choke was ill thought out advice, that did nothing more than get an awe full lot of perfectly good shotguns, with full chokes opened up  half at considerable expense to their  frightened owners who at the time of steels introduction knew no better.

Now many manufacturers took the not for steel attitude too, and big names like Remington in older guns and Browning in herstal made FN browning original A5 to name just two.

The Jap A5s were allowed for steel but not belgian made models .

Time went by and the steel debate still rages on scratched barrels and other horror stories still abound but with zero merit in fact. If proper wading is used and ammo of presure and chamber length used steel is fine in any choke .

Guidance on HP steel and velocity shot size and choke recomendations born from CIP has again proved inaccurate and the super tight dedicated aftermarket chokes sold for steel fall way outside cip rules yet millions of rounds have gone through these super tight chokes this past 20 yars with no ill effects if the gun is in sound condition and barrel threads in spec.

On a personal level i have used steel in many non steel full choked guns over the years some i still use hard today, with relatively hot reloads, and never once experience a single scratch or issue of any kind.

36 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Good to know and always useful information on this forum. I have probably been influenced by the horror stories and manufacturers non steel statements. What about fibre wads? With direct contact between the steel shot and barrel is there not a wear issue there?

All steel shot is bound in a plastic wad, as far as I’m aware there are no fibre wadded steel shot cartridges available. Hence, it matters not whether your gun is steel shot proofed or not.....if that steel shot leaves that plastic wad before they both leave the muzzle, scoring could occur, steel proofed barrel or not.