Remington 870

Gerry78

32 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Good to know and always useful information on this forum. I have probably been influenced by the horror stories and manufacturers non steel statements. What about fibre wads? With direct contact between the steel shot and barrel is there not a wear issue there?

Some whos opinion i respect have said The fibre cup wads when slit can make bore contact in back bored guns, i think thats down to the fact of the cup wad construction and original AFAIK design use (ITM) i always felt the fit for steel use on these type of wads was a little optimistic, but the new biodegradable wadding designed for steel looks to have the non plastic wad scen covered if reports are accurate which they appear to be.

A non lead shot you can run in traditional felt wadding is bismuth at typical lead velocity and pressures, and if you want higher steel even hyperspeed steel velocity direct to bore pure copper shot is your answer.

Thanks for all the replies I went down to the shop and looked at the remmy pump I’ve decided not to buy one as a couple of members have stated the newer models aren’t built like the older models tried  2 different barrel lengths The gun just didn’t fit me so thanks lads for all the advice 👍👍

I bought a laminated 3.5 870 pump and was seriously disappointed with it. Very poorly finished and the action was as rough as guts. I bought it at the start of June and sold it on for a fraction of the price before the fowling season started in September.