Smart Meters

Old Boggy

6 hours ago, Davyo said:

I keep hearing the word 'meter reader'.I've never had an energy provider that's came out to read my meter's.If I dont send the readings in via an app,they just estimate it.

It is a legal requirement I believe that the meter be read and inspected periodically - I believe at least once every 2 years.  This is for both gas and electricity.  I'm not sure it applies to water.

Many thanks for all your replies.

I will go with the general consensus that at the moment they are not compulsory, of no real benefit and can be a pain in the backside, so will continue to decline their very 'kind offer' to install one.

OB

13 hours ago, manthing said:

We don't even have a meter, never mind a smart meter. 

Have you made a connection direct to a street light ?:whistling:  It has been known.

I nearly had them fitted by British gas ,the guy who came to fit them told me  he would not have them in his house because he changed providers on a regular basis  also said they where not going to be compulsory , the lying scroot that came and sold me the new boiler told me they would be ,when I asked him if he got any  money  for getting the meters fitted he said No all part and parcel of the job ! the meter fitter told me he would have  been paid £15 !  so if they paying  £15 reward to the salesman  they must making more out of them than you !

Edited by derbyduck

1 hour ago, daveboy said:

I was put off by them telling the Mother in law that they would never cut off her electric at times of high demand because she was over 70 yeas of age,

Does that mean people under 70 would get cut off first.??

? I ignore mine I suggest you do the same :lol:

3 minutes ago, old man said:

Just another state sponsored scam to help money flow to shareholders?

It was in fact Ed Milliband when he was Energy and Climate Change Minister who introduced it.  It was actually implemented by Chris Huhne and was tipped to be a complete failure even when he started the programme as detailed here https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/9015415/Which-urges-halt-to-smart-meter-installation.html

Chris Huhne was a crook and was eventually jailed for perverting the course of justice.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21320992

Meanwhile the customer is lumbered with picking up the costs through increased prices - and that applies whether you accept a smart meter or not.

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It was in fact Ed Milliband when he was Energy and Climate Change Minister who introduced it.  It was actually implemented by Chris Huhne and was tipped to be a complete failure even when he started the programme as detailed here https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/9015415/Which-urges-halt-to-smart-meter-installation.html

Chris Huhne was a crook and was eventually jailed for perverting the course of justice.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21320992

Meanwhile the customer is lumbered with picking up the costs through increased prices - and that applies whether you accept a smart meter or not.

Ideal candidate for a knighthood then? 

My brother, who lives in the US, worked for a company that designed and build smart meters before being acquired by Elster who then fell to Honeywell.  He tells me that the utility companies  know full well that the consumer monitoring gizmos have a novelty value that lasts for minutes.  In the US there was legislation passed that set a deadline whereby consumers would have a legal right to be billed by the minute with the ability to contact a utility provider and terminate/change contract with instantaneous effect - 'always online' smart meters with either internet or cellular data connections provided that capability.   Both our electric and gas meters are 'smart'...truly fit and forget.

Edited by Cosmicblue