Yet another rant....

WestonSalop

Sorry but I cant help but have a rant about this:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/29/lake-district-must-change-to-attract-ethnic-minorities-says-boss-11973034/

I have very strong views about political correctness and snowflakes but this just about takes the biscuit. It strikes me that whoever is in charge of the National Parks has no idea whatsoever about how to preserve them, who they attract and why.  How can it be controversial to oppose their planned use of the hillsides for 4x4 usage? Ditto the planned tarmac road - mountains were not designed for easy access. If people want to walk up them there are perfectly good paths. As for needing to attract minorities - does that mean we have to construct DJ mixing desks at strategic locations? Or maybe force the locals into re-education camps to ensure all receive a warm welcome???  Sorry if this comes across as being disjointed but its a rant, not an essay.

I bet that bloody Greta Thunderbird or The Packman is behind this somehow. 

1 minute ago, WestonSalop said:

Sorry but I cant help but have a rant about this:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/29/lake-district-must-change-to-attract-ethnic-minorities-says-boss-11973034/

I have very strong views about political correctness and snowflakes but this just about takes the biscuit. It strikes me that whoever is in charge of the National Parks has no idea whatsoever about how to preserve them, who they attract and why.  How can it be controversial to oppose their planned use of the hillsides for 4x4 usage? Ditto the planned tarmac road - mountains were not designed for easy access. If people want to walk up them there are perfectly good paths. As for needing to attract minorities - does that mean we have to construct DJ mixing desks at strategic locations? Or maybe force the locals into re-education camps to ensure all receive a warm welcome???  Sorry if this comes across as being disjointed but its a rant, not an essay.

I bet that bloody Greta Thunderbird or The Packman is behind this somehow. 

hello, good post Weston, i  very much agree, 

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Oh dear!

How do you attract minorities to a location such as a national park ?
Although the DJ booth is fairly obviously a sarcastic comment, in what way are our national parks NOT inclusive to minorities ?

Its just more PC rubbish, with some talking head trying to make himself look 'inclusive'.

57 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If it isn't broken don't fix it!

Exactly.

14 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

How do you attract minorities to a location such as a national park ?
Although the DJ booth is fairly obviously a sarcastic comment, in what way are our national parks NOT inclusive to minorities ?

Its just more PC rubbish, with some talking head trying to make himself look 'inclusive'.

Exactly.

They are not. Going back 30 odd years when racism was far more prevalent than it is today, I was recently divorced and had a relationship with a lady who was of Tobago and Indian mixed heritage. We went to the Lake District for a week's walking and scrambling and had a great time. We frequented various pubs and restaurants and experienced nothing other than typical good service and hospitality. Neither of us were aware of any turned heads or negative attitudes. I doubt that anything much has changed in the meantime. And yes, of course my "DJ mixing desk comment" was sarcastic but I'm blowed if can think how the Lake District can be more inclusive. 

The idiot who heads up the Lake District National Park ought to be found a job in London, probably working for the Labour Party.

2 minutes ago, WestonSalop said:

The idiot who heads up the Lake District National Park ought to be found a job in London, probably working for the Labour Party.

Wouldnt surprise me if thats where hes based anyway :lol:

And , you just know hes a tree hugging, climate change 'activist ' , labour supporting nerd, who probably knows very little about the countryside.

I have no idea how they can make it more appealing to any race or religion or whatever gender they are today. It's the Lakes, like it or don't simples.

I go many times a year and see every colour and creed when I'm there, I think this fella needs a good talking to.

I have looked at the link, normally I wouldn't have,  but whoever's written about needing to attract more ethnic groups to lakes, needs to get out of their office and actually look around,  the likes of windermere is always busy with tourists of every colour and nationality. 

As for tarmac paths through woodland??

The area and mountains are beautiful because they are slightly remote,  if they weren't I wouldn't be crawling north now on the M6 while everyone heads there,  timed this journey wrong,  and I'm not driving. 

This sort of PC nonsense is just so patronising. Compulsory diversity is a futile, self defeating exercise that benefits no one in any way except by increasing the smugness factor of the self satisfied metropolitan liberals such as the clowns who run the BBC. It certainly does nothing to combat racial discrimination or to make the BAME community feel more included - always assuming the BAME community actually wants to feel more included.

There's nothing to prevent anyone in the BAME community from participating fully in society as it exists, but the motivation has to come from within the individual. The Lake District is great just as it is and there is no impediment to anyone who wishes to visit.

3 hours ago, figgy said:

I have no idea how they can make it more appealing to any race or religion or whatever gender they are today. It's the Lakes, like it or don't simples.

I go many times a year and see every colour and creed when I'm there, I think this fella needs a good talking to.

they could build a mosque on the top of Scarfell  ! don't know about the lakes but the peak district looks like the kyber pass around winnets and mantour  at the week ends !

Edited by derbyduck

It is the sort of stupid comment which guarantees him his 15 minutes of fame and I believe that was his intention.

No practical suggestions just an inflammatory bit of nonsense. I notice he doesn't specify which minority group don't visit or what it would take to attract them..

8 hours ago, WestonSalop said:

............ How can it be controversial to oppose their planned use of the hillsides for 4x4 usage?.......

because banning 4x4s and motorbikes is the thin end of the wedge, it's part of the Ramblers Association/ Packham/Thunberg/WJ/LACS saying what is and isn't acceptable in the countryside

." "A crowdfunding effort to challenge the authority's "refusal to stop 4x4s and motorbikes ruining one of the most beautiful places in England" has raised more than £30,000 and will go to the High Court in 2020." 

Recognise the language and tactics?

33 minutes ago, Dibble said:

because banning 4x4s and motorbikes is the thin end of the wedge, it's part of the Ramblers Association/ Packham/Thunberg/WJ/LACS saying what is and isn't acceptable in the countryside. 

Sorry, but I think you may have misinterpreted this particular snippet and got it completely  the wrong way round. Private vehicular use, by landowner's permission, is not affected - nor is it the focus of the issue. The park authority has no say in that. Nor should it.

No,  it is the unrestricted recreational use of "green lanes" over private land  by townie off-roaders that is deeply antisocial, irresponsible and wrecks the environment. Farmers, keepers and other local countryfolk hate it.  The Lake District National Park Authority has the powers to ban this abuse by means of a Traffic Regulation Order, which doesn't affect private use , but won't for fear offending the hardcore public rights of way lobby, such as the Trail Riders Federation.  These off-road fanatics have no respect for the countryside; in my area, they went onto a claimed route armed with chainsaw cut the fences between two farms right in the middle of lambing, saying their "right of way" was being obstructed by the fence (which had been in place for about 50 years). In another  incident, they insisted of 30 year-old forestry being cut down to allow a width of 60 ft on another claimed right of way, destroying red squirrel habitat. These vandals, having smashed up the unmade surface of a track, then bully the local highway authority into repairing it at taxpayer's expense - only so that they can enjoy smashing it up all over again, causing untold problems for sensible users such as farmers, gamekeepers and shooters. They are the enemy of everyone who cares about the countryside, and the problem with LDNPA is that they won't get a grip on them.

Edited by stagboy

2 minutes ago, stagboy said:

Sorry, but I think you may have misinterpreted this particular snippet and got it completely  the wrong way round. Private vehicular use, by landowner's permission, is not affected - nor is it the focus of the issue. The park authority has no say in that. Nor should it.

No,  it is the unrestricted recreational use of "green lanes" over private land  by townie off-roaders that is deeply antisocial, irresponsible and wrecks the environment. Farmers, keepers and other local countryfolk hate it.  The Lake District National Park Authority has the powers to ban this abuse by means of a Traffic Regulation Order, which doesn't affect private use , but won't for fear offending the hardcore public rights of way lobby, such as the Trail Riders Federation.  These off-road fanatics have no respect for the countryside; in my area, they went onto a claimed route armed with chainsaw cut the fences between two farms right in the middle of lambing, saying their "right of way" was being obstructed by the fence (which had been in place for about 50 years). In another  incident, they insisted of 30 year-old forestry being cut down to allow a width of 60 ft on another claimed right of way, destroying red squirrel habitat. These vandals, having smashed up the unmade surface of a track, then bully the local highway authority into repairing it at taxpayer's expense - only so that they can enjoy smashing it up all over again, causing untold problems for sensible users such as farmers, gamekeepers and shooters. They are the enemy of everyone who cares about the countryside, and the problem with LDNPA is that they won't get a grip on them.

Its so easy to stop a minority doing something that others don't like. Far harder to offer an alternative. 

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

Its so easy to stop a minority doing something that others don't like. Far harder to offer an alternative. 

Apparently not in the case of recreational offroaders, as the LDNPA is showing. Those of us who actually live and work in the countryside are tired of seeing the public rights of way system abused  for the gratification  of townie yobs who lack the basic courtesy of asking permission or making private arrangements for access to private land, as we shooters do,  but put their dirt bikes I back into their white transit vans and go back to their homes on a Saturday night, having trashed the countryside and left other to clean up (and pay for)  their mess.

Edited by stagboy

14 minutes ago, stagboy said:

Apparently not in the case of recreational offroaders, as the LDNPA is showing. Those of us who actually live and work in the countryside are tired of seeing the public rights of way system abused  for the gratification  of townie yobs who lack the basic courtesy of asking permission or making private arrangements for access to private land, as we shooters do,  but put their dirt bikes I back into their white transit vans and go back to their homes on a Saturday night, having trashed the countryside and left other to clean up (and pay for)  their mess.

I thought we were talking about public rights of way? 

23 minutes ago, stagboy said:

Are you talking about private land or public rights of way?

I'll state my point of view first I'm in favor of responsible legal use of unmade Rights of Way and have ridden Taxed,MOTd  and Insured bikes on them. It's easy for emotions to run high but I have to ask clarification on some points.

"Sorry, but I think you may have misinterpreted this particular snippet and got it completely  the wrong way round . Private vehicular use, by landowner's permission, is not affected - nor is it the focus of the issue. The park authority has no say in that. Nor should it. With recent complaints about new "roads" being made on some Sporting Estates lets see.

No,  it is the unrestricted recreational use It's restricted by various Road Traffic Acts of "green lanes"Rights of way over private land in the way post Enclosure Acts all Rights of Way run over private land  by townie how do you know this off-roaders by definition its not "off-Road" that is deeply antisocial depends on how wide your view of society is, irresponsible why?and wrecks the environment Similar arguments are used against shooting. Farmers, keepers and other local countryfolk hate it what every single one.  The Lake District National Park Authority has the powers to ban this abuse by means of a Traffic Regulation Order, which doesn't affect private use , but won't for fear offending the hardcore public rights of way lobby the RA are the hardcore, the TRF are a reaction to them, such as the Trail Riders Federation met many TRF members?.  These off-road fanatics have no respect for the countryside you need to check your facts here; in my area, they went onto a claimed route Claimed post NERC?armed with chainsaw Armed? cut the fences between two farms right in the middle of lambing, saying their "right of way" was being obstructed by the fence (which had been in place for about 50 years). In another  incident, they insisted of 30 year-old forestry being cut down to allow a width of 60 ft on another claimed right of way, destroying red squirrel habitat. These vandals, having smashed up the unmade surface of a track, then bully the local highway authority into repairing it at taxpayer's expense - only so that they can enjoy smashing it up all over again can you point me in the direction of further information on these points, causing untold problems for sensible users such as farmers, gamekeepers and shooters. They are the enemy of everyone who cares about the countryside they want to be your friend, and the problem with LDNPA is that they won't get a grip on them."