Re waterproofing a Barbour jacket recommendations plea

Mr. Merkel

Can I ask where it is leaking? Are you sure it is`nt a damaged seam, a hole or simply sweat condensation. Also remember that in really heavy rain you`ll end up, no matter how good the waterproof membrane, with a capilliary action sucking water up the back, down the neck and up the sleeves.

If water is penetrating the membrane it may simply have given up the ghost. If a simple wash as per the makers recommendations doesn`t "clear the pores" of the membrane then theres not much you can do about it.

The various wash in "re proofers" will only replace the surface repellency of the otherwise non waterproof outer fabric. They won`t last for long, won`t work if the outer material is pilled and may well clog up the actual waterproof membrane, depending on the type that it is.

Unfortunately the OP states it`s not a wax jacket so cannot be reproofed.

Thats why I asked so specifically as to where/how it`s leaking. If it is actually leaking through the membrane and is within the warranty period I`d be inclined to send it back. Even if its outside the warranty but not by too far I`d still be having a discussion with Barbours. If its ten years old and had a lot of use and not much TLC or maintenance it might just have become overly porous with constant flexing and no longer able to keep the water out.

Edited by mudpatten

Hi all and thank you for your replies, I spoke to barbour they recommended nikwax barbour. However, I have used that in the past and it failed to work, the jacket in question is a crossfell style and mainly used for walking the dogs and clays.

Mudpattern, thank you for your reply I think you are right with your assumption, the jacket is leaking on the shoulder and on the inside of the left arm. The leak may have been caused where I carried a shoulder bag.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and happy New Year to everyone.

Tim MM