Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Anyone on here fly drones? I got a toy one for Xmas from amazon. It has a camera on it that connects to my phone, it shows me live pictures/video that I can record on my phone. It’s a light, cheap, toy but I’m very impressed with it on a still day. I really think it’s a hobby I could get into, especially the photography part of it. Anyone else got one. I’m sure there’s plenty of advice out there. I’m well aware of rules and regs. I’ve already paid my £9 to register with Caa! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used rc gliders in the past to take aerial photo's.

One thing I did find was that, although I got some nice photo's of the local town, I found the field I was flying from was much more interesting. What appeared to just be a plain grass field from the ground revealed many more interesting features from the air.

The field showed it had at one time been marked off in large squares, apparently to stop aircraft or gliders landing in the 2nd world war. It also revealed an area where furrow cultivation had taken place in the past as well as outlines of buildings that had once stood alongside the river and a disused swimming pool that had at one time been fed by the river.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a fascinating hobby....however....Search UK drone licence....there is or soon to be a licencing requirement for airframes above a certain weight.

Also those that fly in a first person view format require a second spotter pilot to ensure flight safety and or take control should the fpv pilot get into difficulty. There are restrictions on flight locations, max flight radius and altitude. There are privacy laws on airframes carrying photographic capability.

Check the UK drone website to make sure you don't get on the wrong side of the law.

I used to build and fly my own airframes but all grounded now until the licencing fiasco is sorted properly. Just my personal choice keeping in mind trouble with the law over illegal drone flying may not look good if you're a sec.1 or 2 cert. Holder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wraivi said:

It is a fascinating hobby....however....Search UK drone licence....there is or soon to be a licencing requirement for airframes above a certain weight.

Also those that fly in a first person view format require a second spotter pilot to ensure flight safety and or take control should the fpv pilot get into difficulty. There are restrictions on flight locations, max flight radius and altitude. There are privacy laws on airframes carrying photographic capability.

Check the UK drone website to make sure you don't get on the wrong side of the law.

I used to build and fly my own airframes but all grounded now until the licencing fiasco is sorted properly. Just my personal choice keeping in mind trouble with the law over illegal drone flying may not look good if you're a sec.1 or 2 cert. Holder.

Do you know if I can legally shoot one down over my house? I live in the middle of nowhere but have them around occasionally over the grounds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know, seriously doubt it,  criminal damage? But whomever is piloting it needs land owners permission to overfly so in your case they are already breaking the law. There are plenty of idiots who fly them over airports and other silly places .... and that has bought about the licencing and registration laws.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve registered with the caa for a flyer ID and operator Id. For £9 a year and basic multi choice exam it’s a no brainer really. Even though my drone is a toy, with very limited capabilities, it’s over 250g so I try to remain legal. I’ve looked at the maps and apart from a small area we have few restricted fly zones. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a DJI mavic pro last november did all the legal stuff before i got it so registered and licensed, find its great fun done a few video's over the golf club ( when it was closed due to weather ) Kduba who used to be on here has 4 drones and god know's how many planes, the planes he builds are great takes him months with some of them.

But getting back to the drones we quite often fly together, weathers looking good today so might go out for a couple of hours this afternoon..

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, oowee said:

Do you know if I can legally shoot one down over my house? I live in the middle of nowhere but have them around occasionally over the grounds. 

No, you can't!!!

Regardless of the fact that it is unmanned it is still endangering an aircraft. There is no idea where it will end up once disabled and the batteries can be a significant fire hazard if damaged.

 

The idea is, of course, that if the drone is being flown illegally i.e. too close to you or your house or out of line of sight of the operator you would be able to report the drone, the operator could then be identified via the register and appropriate action taken against the operator.

In practice, of course, it's highly unlikely that the operator will be identified, however, at least the company administering the unmonitored register can make a nice little profit out of all of us aeromodellers who have operated aircraft for decades without incident, accident or inconvenience to anyone being fully insured, competency tested and within all CAA regulations.

Just my little gripe💩

Right, must go and check my finances ready for when they impose a tax for breathing🤬

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oowee said:

Do you know if I can legally shoot one down over my house? I live in the middle of nowhere but have them around occasionally over the grounds. 

Maybe sussing you out to see if you hav e anything worth nicking, get one yourself & play the red baron card.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hawkeye said:

I got a DJI mavic pro last november did all the legal stuff before i got it so registered and licensed, find its great fun done a few video's over the golf club ( when it was closed due to weather ) Kduba who used to be on here has 4 drones and god know's how many planes, the planes he builds are great takes him months with some of them.

But getting back to the drones we quite often fly together, weathers looking good today so might go out for a couple of hours this afternoon..

I’m currently looking at the Mavics. Is it worth the extra to upgrade to the mavic 2 pro or zoom? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

as far as i know the only difference between the pro i have and the zoom is the zoom can zoom camera in and i cannot,

and the mavic pro 2 is about 1" longer than mine don't think there are any other differences as far as i know ..

Kdubya rates the mavic pro that i have as one of the best and he has 4 different ones mind you he does rate the mavic mini, camera not as good spec but the video that he has taken are spot on..

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, oowee said:

Do you know if I can legally shoot one down over my house? I live in the middle of nowhere but have them around occasionally over the grounds. 

Sadly you can’t as it is illegal with the crime being ‘endangering an aircraft’.  I was helping a lady with a broken leg in the summer and we had some numpty (out of sight) hovering a drone 10m above the casualty - amazing how selfish some people can be.

that said, im in the middle of nowhere and would have no qualms giving it a couple of barrels if it was hovering over my house

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jonty said:

Sadly you can’t as it is illegal with the crime being ‘endangering an aircraft’.  I was helping a lady with a broken leg in the summer and we had some numpty (out of sight) hovering a drone 10m above the casualty - amazing how selfish some people can be.

that said, im in the middle of nowhere and would have no qualms giving it a couple of barrels if it was hovering over my house

I am guessing they are filming whilst hovering. Not a good look :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

what you want is the  Mavic Pro Platinum 4K with fly more combo. comes with 3 batts, spare props etc. well worth it. cheapest about is £799.

That does sound like a bargain! I’ve been trying to see the differences between the platinum and the mavic 2. Apart from its nearly half the price! I’ve seen a mavic 2 zoom with the original dji goggles for sale for less than 1k, but then I’d probably need to buy the extra batteries or fly more pack which isn’t cheap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just going to say the Mavic mini is worth a punt as it dodges the 250g registration limit, but you're sorted now :D

I've been flying FPV for a few years now, but mostly race and mini drones (Tiny Whoops). Always fancied a Mavic or similar but already got too many hobbies !

Let us know how you find it

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cannot go far wrong with a Mavic great drones but like everything now days you have to use common sense when you use it..

 

The extra fly more combo is worth it as the batteries are £99 each i have 4 with mine .....

Edited by hawkeye
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...