No Rabbits about.

samboy

Hi gang.

I have not seen a Rabbit for well over 3 months. I'm over the fields and woods with my Whippet and Lurcher every day. 

God knows where they have gone. I can only assume it must be something to do with the weather.

Anyone else not seen any ..

Thanks all.

Have you caught them all? 

People used to only hunt them during certain times of the year, these days they are being hunted 365 days a year. 

Theute ferreted, coursed, trapped, shot, lamped at night and now even they are getting hammered by night vision and thermal. 

On top of that there are new diseases that weren’t around before to wipe them out. 

I know lads that used to be out every night with the hmr and thermal . They shot everything in sight in the back side /guts /where ever and chucked them in the ditch. 30-40 a night for weeks on end thinking it’ll last. People like that haven’t helped and disease has destroyed it.

the farmer said to thin a few out but that’s it. They like to see a few about themselves.

ill add I use the hmr /lr etc and have been known to have 30 an hour but when I see the numbers reduce I give them a break and let them carry young .

Edited by team tractor

Here today gone tomorrow. As said RHD will wipe the lot out almost overnight and they die in the burrows so rarely found above ground. The only likely survivors are very young which of course then take time to build up again.  I have recently seen a lot over in Lincolnshire where I don't normally see many and think the disease situation causes this high and low population.

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Here today gone tomorrow. As said RHD will wipe the lot out almost overnight and they die in the burrows so rarely found above ground. The only likely survivors are very young which of course then take time to build up again.  I have recently seen a lot over in Lincolnshire where I don't normally see many and think the disease situation causes this high and low population.

We haven’t seen 1 for months on the shoot. Gave up taking rifle.

we had 12 in an hour last year then nothing since 

I got a call a week or so sgo to say they had reappeared on a piece of ground I was shooting 20-25 an evening a couple of years ago until RHD hit and they vanished.  I have another small plot where I just keep them off the posh lawns and they have disappeared as well, no doubt RHD. 15yrs or so ago I could guarantee 40 to 50 shots a night from my ATV but RHD came in and wiped the farm clean in less than a week. Never really recovered.

When I was looking around for Pigeons in the Summer we had more rabbits than I had seen for ages , some of the Barley fields had been stripped out 30 / 40 meters from the hedge rows , I reported the amount several times to the farm manager and the keeper but with the minimum staff andwith the harvest that was about to begin there was very little done about it , yes they did rifle a few but that was just to show willing , that was during the Summer , are there the same numbers now ? , that I can't say , but with Spring not that far off we will soon find out .

Where I work we have an abundance of rabbits & hares too. I counted 26 hares one day, unfortunately we also have a lot of magpies too that need thinning. Another regular sight I see most weeks are Jays wich I had not seen much of till I came to work in my current job.

Dan.

46 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

hi mate. i want to have fun with the shotgun,and give the ferretes ago.

Good to see someone keeping the old field sports going (ferrets) I have a mate with a few but he is too busy with his rifle and they struggle to get out :lol: