Best free video editor for Youtube videos

Harry136

Sadly there are few which give you all the options and some even stamp the video which can be quite annoying. Windows USED to have movie maker? I had a few disks of movie editing programs but non work with the new systems. 

many purport to be freeware on web searches, but are infected with bugs etc. So be wary. I have a basic one on the laptop at home so will see what it’s called when I get home from work for you. 

If you have an iPhone or iPad “splice” gets some fairly decent reviews! 

Just looking for a recommendation for video editing software. I did use Windows Movie Maker previously for a small project which was ok but don't seem to have that available now. The only thing on my laptop is some bog standard video editing app that, when adding short clips of footage, they seem to have a number of stop/start moments in them which is frustrating. It doesn't seem to be in the original recording which is on my phone. Not looking for anything that will cost £££'s as I'm not looking to make a blockbuster but something which is quite straightforward to use and gives at least semi professional results. Also, something that is easy to add music and adjust volume when there is some dialogue would be good. 

I use Cyberlink Power director. With absolutely no prior experience I've got pretty good with it quite quickly. It's very intuitive to use and produces some nice stuff. Some elements are a little clunky, but you soon get used to it and the quality's good (although that does depend on the quality of the original recording quality). I use version 16, but there is a newer version now.

I used to love Windows Movie Maker but it's not packaged with Win10 sadly. I still have it on an older Win7 desktop but as that is now unsupported, I may have to upgrade it to Win10and lose the software.

Cyberlink is okay - not used it much but you'll get a result from it. GoPro do a suite but no idea if it's any good. If you use You Tube, you can upload and edit on-line. Never used it though.

I did check recently on whether current Windows (10) had any built in editing software (similar to WMM) - apparently a version of it is buried in Win10 but I've never bothered to try it.

This article tries to explain how to use it:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/how-to/windows-movie-maker-is-back-how-to-use-windows-10s-hidden-video-editor

I got a Hero 8 black before Christmas and so far got nowhere with it. Currently trying Shotcut as an editor but struggling mainly due to having old laptops. Most of the time they cant keep up and everything is juddering or crashing.

I did get 1 video uploaded to You Tube and when I played it the bloody files got mixed up and played in the wrong order. That took about 2 days so was not happy.

The files are massive if using the high res settings with stabilization, so lots of storage needed on the SD cards and I also invested in a decent power pack as the batteries only last around an hour in use.

Another apparently good free editor is Davinci Resolve but I cant seem to get it working on my laptop.

Iv'e wasted days trying to produce video's and spent a small fortune on extra's and still at Sq 1.

• 3 years later...
On 04/10/2023 at 07:37, ditchman said:

yes  i believe you are right....and then cared for by some dodgy sisters............

must derail this thread....if anyone knows please post it up :good:

If i recall correctly he has a son Chris with some learning difficulties as well ,be nice to hear how they are all getting on .

Edited by Jega